In this unusual time

NOT FOR ADVERTISING
User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 22022
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

In this unusual time

Post by Publisher » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:50 am

This isnt a "never happened before" type event. H1N1 killed millions in 1918. That bastard is still with us. Will be, as long as our species exists. And it mutates, sometimes into a more virulent form.

Big difference is communication technology today, and a concerted effort to keep the health care system from collapsing. Because we're aware of world wide events.

But this virus is now our norm. Eventually every member of the human race is going to be exposed. Some will die. Most will live.

We need to STAY prepared for the next viral outbreak. Or we're too stupid as a species to survive.

Next thought

I see all this chatter about clients reaching out, to check in. I'm not going to poll the Tweeters to get an accurate count on this, but its clear the companion sentiment for a majority is resentful. On many fronts. I am going to mull this before going further.

Its defintely going to impact my direct communication with people. What form that takes isnt clear yet.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

User avatar
beautifulbridgette
Grain Dealer
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion
Your City: West Des Moines
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by beautifulbridgette » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:50 am
This isnt a "never happened before" type event. H1N1 killed millions in 1918. That bastard is still with us. Will be, as long as our species exists. And it mutates, sometimes into a more virulent form.

Big difference is communication technology today, and a concerted effort to keep the health care system from collapsing. Because we're aware of world wide events.

But this virus is now our norm. Eventually every member of the human race is going to be exposed. Some will die. Most will live.

We need to STAY prepared for the next viral outbreak. Or we're too stupid as a species to survive
And outbreaks will become more frequent as we continue to pack too many animals and people into inconceivably small spaces. Another concern is antibacterial resistant bacteria. If you use a cleaner that kills 99.9% of bacteria the .01% left is the best of the best. That is why hospitals often develop antibacterial resistant strains that put janitorial and patient transport employes at risk. Now imagine that on a national level with tv reporters encouraging people to spray everything with disinfectant bleach sprays. COVID-19's mortality rate is approx 4% with 85% of those people being 65 and older while MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) has a 20% mortality rate and is just as deadly to younger healthy individuals with no pre-existing conditions as some one who is immune compromised. If we become too obsessed with disinfecting we could easily create a deadlier situation.
Last edited by beautifulbridgette on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men.
-Mae West

User avatar
chevytooheavy
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 2592
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: western Illinois
Location: quad cities
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by chevytooheavy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:47 pm

beautifulbridgette wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm
Publisher wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:50 am
This isnt a "never happened before" type event. H1N1 killed millions in 1918. That bastard is still with us. Will be, as long as our species exists. And it mutates, sometimes into a more virulent form.

Big difference is communication technology today, and a concerted effort to keep the health care system from collapsing. Because we're aware of world wide events.

But this virus is now our norm. Eventually every member of the human race is going to be exposed. Some will die. Most will live.

We need to STAY prepared for the next viral outbreak. Or we're too stupid as a species to survive
And outbreaks will become more frequent as we continue to pack too many animals and people into inconceivably small spaces. Another concern is antibacterial resistant bacteria. If you use a cleaner that kills 99.9% of bacteria the .01% left is the best of the best. That is why hospitals often develop antibacterial resistant strains that put janitorial and patient transport employes at risk. Now imagine that on a national level with tv reporters encouraging people to spray everything with disinfectant bleach sprays. COVID-19's mortality rate of approx 4% with 85% of those people being 65 and older while MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) has a 20% mortality rate and is just as deadly to younger healthy individuals with no pre-existing conditions as some one who is immune compromised. If we become too obsessed with disinfecting we could easily create a deadlier situation.
Well said
I am touched in the head

User avatar
YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Posts: 23500
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near the shampooed banana
Location: Close To An Edge
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by YAG » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:29 pm

I have the MRSA antibody. Ive been exposed.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

User avatar
shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near everything but close to nothing
Location: Right here for now

Re: In this unusual time

Post by shyboy69 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm

Well said big guy.

My business is the lively to me and my son. Business is extremely bad right now. So my family comes from. But I understand why business isn't going well now. And don't hold it against anyone. Its basically an act of God! As it's described, a hobby is a hobby. Whether it's planes, cars, playing pool, drinking, or in this case....ladies. We all have to take care of our families first. As a result we will make cuts to accommodate our family needs first. So I'm not sure why there seems to be much animosity towards the men for making cut backs on expenditures.

Nice guys finish last? Yes we do! Our women always finish first. Multiple times!
My sparkling personality compensates for not being hung like a horse.

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: In this unusual time

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:37 pm

shyboy69 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm
As it's described, a hobby is a hobby. Whether it's planes, cars, playing pool, drinking, or in this case....ladies. We all have to take care of our families first. As a result we will make cuts to accommodate our family needs first. So I'm not sure why there seems to be much animosity towards the men for making cut backs on expenditures.
(Ah! I had not understood where Pub was going with that...)

I can see cutting back on expenses - more important for some than others, maybe, depending on the kind of income, but still, arguably it's done out of necessity, not choice... The other concern that comes to mind is transmission - even once we hit the point where herd immunity would protect those who have not yet caught it, I would think participating in this hobby would put one in the high-risk group (that old saw about sleeping not only with your partner, but all their other partners...). I guess the same was always true for other diseases (including STDs) - it's just those others have vaccines, or steps one can take to reduce risk - where in this case the only practical risk reduction might be to not partake... And, one might argue that the risk was just ours, not shared with anyone else we might share a bus with (say).

I guess it might be time to think about the business opportunity around whole-body condoms... :-)

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 22022
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by Publisher » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am

shyboy69 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Well said big guy.

My business is the lively to me and my son. Business is extremely bad right now. So my family comes from. But I understand why business isn't going well now. And don't hold it against anyone. Its basically an act of God! As it's described, a hobby is a hobby. Whether it's planes, cars, playing pool, drinking, or in this case....ladies. We all have to take care of our families first. As a result we will make cuts to accommodate our family needs first. So I'm not sure why there seems to be much animosity towards the men for making cut backs on expenditures.
That was part of it.

Part of it they found it annoying that regular clients were checking in on them and their well-being without offering them money. Not all of them, of course. But a majority.

And there were two other polls being run by the same entity. Indicating a true dichotomy in thinking, because one of the questions was "Are you compassionate for the well-being of your clients?" And the response was reversed.

Compassionate with a price tag? Thats not compassion, thats guarding your wallet.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

User avatar
YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Posts: 23500
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near the shampooed banana
Location: Close To An Edge
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by YAG » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
shyboy69 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Well said big guy.

My business is the lively to me and my son. Business is extremely bad right now. So my family comes from. But I understand why business isn't going well now. And don't hold it against anyone. Its basically an act of God! As it's described, a hobby is a hobby. Whether it's planes, cars, playing pool, drinking, or in this case....ladies. We all have to take care of our families first. As a result we will make cuts to accommodate our family needs first. So I'm not sure why there seems to be much animosity towards the men for making cut backs on expenditures.
That was part of it.

Part of it they found it annoying that regular clients were checking in on them and their well-being without offering them money. Not all of them, of course. But a majority.

And there were two other polls being run by the same entity. Indicating a true dichotomy in thinking, because one of the questions was "Are you compassionate for the well-being of your clients?" And the response was reversed.

Compassionate with a price tag? Thats not compassion, thats guarding your wallet.
I'm sure to some of them that you're talking about have immediately discounted you as a "slobbyist" for criticizing this attitude.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

User avatar
shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near everything but close to nothing
Location: Right here for now

Re: In this unusual time

Post by shyboy69 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:42 pm

YAG wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:40 pm
Publisher wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
shyboy69 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Well said big guy.

My business is the lively to me and my son. Business is extremely bad right now. So my family comes from. But I understand why business isn't going well now. And don't hold it against anyone. Its basically an act of God! As it's described, a hobby is a hobby. Whether it's planes, cars, playing pool, drinking, or in this case....ladies. We all have to take care of our families first. As a result we will make cuts to accommodate our family needs first. So I'm not sure why there seems to be much animosity towards the men for making cut backs on expenditures.
That was part of it.

Part of it they found it annoying that regular clients were checking in on them and their well-being without offering them money. Not all of them, of course. But a majority.

And there were two other polls being run by the same entity. Indicating a true dichotomy in thinking, because one of the questions was "Are you compassionate for the well-being of your clients?" And the response was reversed.

Compassionate with a price tag? Thats not compassion, thats guarding your wallet.
I'm sure to some of them that you're talking about have immediately discounted you as a "slobbyist" for criticizing this attitude.
I've always been guilty of being honest. Even to a fault. But not as brutal as DM. But still honest. Most of us have feelings and care for the well being of the ladies that we interact with. But on that note, we can't give them what we don't have. Not everyone, but when people post that BS, it's pretty obvious they feel that we are just a check. And act as if our compassion in asking is not genuine. So we can just throw the old saying, it's the thought that counts, out the window!

I understand that some probably don't like what I wrote. But those who know me, guys and ladies alike, know I'm genuine.

Nice guys finish last? Yes we do! Our women always finish first. Multiple times!
My sparkling personality compensates for not being hung like a horse.

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 22022
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by Publisher » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:27 pm

This is scary and frustrating to everyone.

Every human being.

We are most of us experiencing varying degrees of anxiety about the future, because the social fabric has been unraveled.

And I have empathy for that. I have compassion for both those close to me, and strangers, and everyone in between EXCEPT when they express in either words or deed an attitude of pure selfishness.

Americans have historically rallied together in times of trial. We need to do that now. This is NOT going away without us working together to maximize our resources and survival.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

User avatar
vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Posts: 13010
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Beyond the Rim

Re: In this unusual time

Post by vorlon » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:15 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
shyboy69 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Well said big guy.

My business is the lively to me and my son. Business is extremely bad right now. So my family comes from. But I understand why business isn't going well now. And don't hold it against anyone. Its basically an act of God! As it's described, a hobby is a hobby. Whether it's planes, cars, playing pool, drinking, or in this case....ladies. We all have to take care of our families first. As a result we will make cuts to accommodate our family needs first. So I'm not sure why there seems to be much animosity towards the men for making cut backs on expenditures.
That was part of it.

Part of it they found it annoying that regular clients were checking in on them and their well-being without offering them money. Not all of them, of course. But a majority.

And there were two other polls being run by the same entity. Indicating a true dichotomy in thinking, because one of the questions was "Are you compassionate for the well-being of your clients?" And the response was reversed.

Compassionate with a price tag? Thats not compassion, thats guarding your wallet.
I understand they are worried, even frightened, in this situation. But you'd still think they'd understand that it's not in their best financial terms, either in the short or long term, to irritate clients. But some ladies are just not thinking rationally. In that, they are like many other humans.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 22022
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by Publisher » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:34 pm

vorlon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:15 pm
Publisher wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
shyboy69 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Well said big guy.

My business is the lively to me and my son. Business is extremely bad right now. So my family comes from. But I understand why business isn't going well now. And don't hold it against anyone. Its basically an act of God! As it's described, a hobby is a hobby. Whether it's planes, cars, playing pool, drinking, or in this case....ladies. We all have to take care of our families first. As a result we will make cuts to accommodate our family needs first. So I'm not sure why there seems to be much animosity towards the men for making cut backs on expenditures.
That was part of it.

Part of it they found it annoying that regular clients were checking in on them and their well-being without offering them money. Not all of them, of course. But a majority.

And there were two other polls being run by the same entity. Indicating a true dichotomy in thinking, because one of the questions was "Are you compassionate for the well-being of your clients?" And the response was reversed.

Compassionate with a price tag? Thats not compassion, thats guarding your wallet.
I understand they are worried, even frightened, in this situation. But you'd still think they'd understand that it's not in their best financial terms, either in the short or long term, to irritate clients. But some ladies are just not thinking rationally. In that, they are like many other humans.
Lots of people aren't thinking rationally.

The jokers trying to browbeat women into massive discounts. The women who have jumped into this with no concern for their safety. Those trying to profit from a temporary scarcity are the worst.

And I dont know if those expressing their irritation via SM dont think it will bite them in the ass. They should be assured it will when the trolls latch onto it. I have refrained from identifying specific people on purpose.

One who HAD been on a potential maybe list was scratched for this behavior - which is my personal choice. But I will let karma and Google be her enemy, not me.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

User avatar
shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near everything but close to nothing
Location: Right here for now

Re: In this unusual time

Post by shyboy69 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:11 pm

vorlon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:15 pm
Publisher wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
shyboy69 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Well said big guy.

My business is the lively to me and my son. Business is extremely bad right now. So my family comes from. But I understand why business isn't going well now. And don't hold it against anyone. Its basically an act of God! As it's described, a hobby is a hobby. Whether it's planes, cars, playing pool, drinking, or in this case....ladies. We all have to take care of our families first. As a result we will make cuts to accommodate our family needs first. So I'm not sure why there seems to be much animosity towards the men for making cut backs on expenditures.
That was part of it.

Part of it they found it annoying that regular clients were checking in on them and their well-being without offering them money. Not all of them, of course. But a majority.

And there were two other polls being run by the same entity. Indicating a true dichotomy in thinking, because one of the questions was "Are you compassionate for the well-being of your clients?" And the response was reversed.

Compassionate with a price tag? Thats not compassion, thats guarding your wallet.
I understand they are worried, even frightened, in this situation. But you'd still think they'd understand that it's not in their best financial terms, either in the short or long term, to irritate clients. But some ladies are just not thinking rationally. In that, they are like many other humans.
I totally agree! This goes for both sexes.

Nice guys finish last? Yes we do! Our women always finish first. Multiple times!
My sparkling personality compensates for not being hung like a horse.

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 22022
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by Publisher » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:43 pm

FB_IMG_1585592125806.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

User avatar
vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Posts: 13010
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Beyond the Rim

Re: In this unusual time

Post by vorlon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:54 pm

Publisher wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:43 pm
FB_IMG_1585592125806.jpg
Definitely some gallows humor there.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

User avatar
Yuna
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:22 pm
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by Yuna » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:02 am

Publisher wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
That was part of it.

Part of it they found it annoying that regular clients were checking in on them and their well-being without offering them money. Not all of them, of course. But a majority.

And there were two other polls being run by the same entity. Indicating a true dichotomy in thinking, because one of the questions was "Are you compassionate for the well-being of your clients?" And the response was reversed.

Compassionate with a price tag? Thats not compassion, thats guarding your wallet.
I think most ladies are very stressed in that they have to pay bills and food and rent. Bookings have gone down and most inquiries are time wasters and low ballers, so they are frustrated. (I know my local forum had some posts about guys "looking for opportunities" 🤮) Now we don't know their business model, they might not have a lot of regulars so that might be why they are mad if they are contacted out of the blue. Wouldn't you find it kind of suspicious if you saw a lady once and a year later she messages you regardless of these current events? Add a day of frustrations and dwindling money supplies. Yes they need money now and that doesn't excuse their behavior, but trying to put perspective on it. That being said, I appreciate everyone that's reached out to me. (I'm going to be perfectly fine for however long this last).

User avatar
roygbiv00
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Central Time Zone

Re: In this unusual time

Post by roygbiv00 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 am

Sometimes I think way to deep into things and then I have to remind myself not to think that deep and there I just did it again philosophy with myself and it is not as fun as masturbation.

My thought which is probably way way to just my way of thinking is

Could God be really this mad at humans?
Is it his way of taking out Evolutionist and keeping the creationist?

Even deeper how the hell can a tour bus with a church choir on board get hit by a pickup and all 53 members of the choir get killed ? But the guy in the pickup walked home .

I was supposed to have been just coming back from Beijing China about now on one hell of a trip with another board member but the virus messed that up

So we figured we would travel somewhere else maybe even mexico ,

Nope a pandemic breaks out.

Saved $ for over a year invited a friend to go and a pandemic

I need some stress relief and my right hand is

Arguing with the left .

Probably not the right place for me to rant ,
I will take my answer off the air .
Technically Whiskey is a SOLUTION according to science

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 22022
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by Publisher » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:56 am

Yuna wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:02 am
Publisher wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
That was part of it.

Part of it they found it annoying that regular clients were checking in on them and their well-being without offering them money. Not all of them, of course. But a majority.

And there were two other polls being run by the same entity. Indicating a true dichotomy in thinking, because one of the questions was "Are you compassionate for the well-being of your clients?" And the response was reversed.

Compassionate with a price tag? Thats not compassion, thats guarding your wallet.
I think most ladies are very stressed in that they have to pay bills and food and rent. Bookings have gone down and most inquiries are time wasters and low ballers, so they are frustrated. (I know my local forum had some posts about guys "looking for opportunities" 🤮) Now we don't know their business model, they might not have a lot of regulars so that might be why they are mad if they are contacted out of the blue. Wouldn't you find it kind of suspicious if you saw a lady once and a year later she messages you regardless of these current events? Add a day of frustrations and dwindling money supplies. Yes they need money now and that doesn't excuse their behavior, but trying to put perspective on it. That being said, I appreciate everyone that's reached out to me. (I'm going to be perfectly fine for however long this last).
Most folks are sitting in that same boat about bills and lack of business. I get the stress of that. I've been overboard waiting for the sharks to eat me a couple of times when I fell off into the sea.

But they were not talking about the jerks who are just trying to get one over on them during this stressful time, or a stray one-timer. They were responding about regular customers. Their bread and butter customers. The customers who help them pay the rent and put food on the table daily. The customers who have a legitimate concern for their well-being, because of their relationship, even though business, it's still a relationship that the customer values.

Right now they should be PRO-ACTIVE with their existing customers, and getting a string of future customers lined up. So they come back when this passes, and those who DIE during this thing are mourned respectfully.

This will get back to some of those regulars, that they have this attitude. So, instead of being the customers who will help them dig out of the hole when this clears, those customers will have vanished, instead.

I get those weird random messages out of the blue. I've had several this past week, some from people I'd contacted weeks, or even months ago, and never met. I don't have a clue who they are, and they get all testy when I tell them so and ask for some sort of reminder. I COULD just be an asshole about it, vent on them about this behavior, and block the numbers.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

User avatar
YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Posts: 23500
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near the shampooed banana
Location: Close To An Edge
Contact:

Re: In this unusual time

Post by YAG » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:42 am

So, when phase 3 of this hits, with regional shutdowns in certain states, and parts of states, occurs, where will that take us?

For example, Iowa and Missouri are seeing skyrocketing infection and death rates, and abysmal vaccination rates, because "it's my choice."

Sure, it is. It's also the collective "us" who can force you into isolation and quarantine so the REST of us can get back to business.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

User avatar
The_Carpenter
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer

Re: In this unusual time

Post by The_Carpenter » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:01 pm

My thoughts somewhat mirror above posts.
And, I think there will be a phase 4, or more.

Yes, there will be Darwinism. Some folks just don't get it.
I get it, my family does, and folks I hang with do.

Last, a followup comment on Yuna's post.
What she describes is the same in Kansas City.
For the guys, I'll simply say, take care of your favs.

User avatar
vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Posts: 13010
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Beyond the Rim

Re: In this unusual time

Post by vorlon » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:19 pm

YAG wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:42 am
So, when phase 3 of this hits, with regional shutdowns in certain states, and parts of states, occurs, where will that take us?

For example, Iowa and Missouri are seeing skyrocketing infection and death rates, and abysmal vaccination rates, because "it's my choice."

Sure, it is. It's also the collective "us" who can force you into isolation and quarantine so the REST of us can get back to business.
It's going to see those who rejected science pay an even higher price than they have so far (because of the more dangerous variants) while continuing to not care about the collateral damage they are causing. Of course the idea that they could be wrong will be rejected and we will likely see more reports of people being hospitalized or even dying from COVID refusing to believe their doctors when given that diagnosis.

The rest of us will do better although not as good as we could be doing.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

User avatar
vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Posts: 13010
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Beyond the Rim

Re: In this unusual time

Post by vorlon » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:18 am

In case anyone was wondering how much more dangerous the delta variant is.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... A7C405EE57
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

User avatar
The_Carpenter
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer

Re: In this unusual time

Post by The_Carpenter » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:51 am

This bug, and the additional handful that have surfaced over the last couple decades, frequently get me to think about the novel "Earth Abides" by Stewart. A 1949 novel about a significant die-off of the human race, due to sickness. This novel took the International Fantasy Award the year after it came out.

Post Reply

Return to “General Thoughts”