Some Tips on Writing Ads

How to advertise on the Grain Belt News. READ BEFORE POSTING. Grain Belt News is an information and entertainment portal that permits advertising - not an advertising site with discussion. Ignoring these simple rules has led to apoplectic fits by people who find themselves cut off from the system.
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Some guidelines on writing ads here

Post by Publisher » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:44 am

Some tips on writing ads here:

1. Make your subject line intelligible.

Don't string words together. Don't use special characters. Don't use alternating capital letters and lower case letters. Include a city and state.

2. Body of the message needs to include pertinent information.

Repeat the location. Give an accurate description of yourself. Include contact information. Again, don't use funky characters or the bizarre alternating strings of text. Use paragraphs, we are taught to read strings of letters in specific patterns - use them.

3. Use spell check.

A good copywriter will write then re-write an advertisement at least once. Run the ad through a spell checker before posting it.

4. Grammar counts

If your grammar skills are poor, your ad will be unintelligible. Pay a copywriter to write your ad if necessary to prevent inadvertent use of the wrong word/words.

5. Do not obfuscate your telephone number.

Here are good examples of bad copy writing, taken from ads posted here, and deleted:
1)SEXY
2)CLASSY
3)INTELLIGENT
4)ALL NATRUAL
5)100% PICS R ME

~*~*~*~ And thats just the beginning ~*~*~*~

I'm turly classy blonde hair blue eye angle.. On my way to see you.. I'll be arriving latter this evening.. So call now to set-up your apponitment. You really dont want to mess the lady you day dream about daily.
I AM OBVIOUSLY THA BEST DAMN LOOKIN GIRL IN TOWN AND THA MOST PROFESSIONAL MAMI YOU'LL FALL OVER HEELS FOR AND I KNOW WAT YOUR MISSING SO LEAVE THE SCRAGS ALONE AND CALL A HIGH STANDARD BEST QUALITY DIME PIECE TO YOUR HOME!!! LOVE ALWAYS P.s. GOTA NEW NUMBER!!
It took me a good 5 minutes to decipher what exactly all of that was supposed to mean, and I had to move my lips to get it phonetically.
Any type of money exchanged is between 2 agreeing adults for championship thanks
Last edited by Publisher on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:50 am

A bump so the Backpage people know what won't be accepted here.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:42 am

A humorous - yet accurate - discourse on writing.

http://youtu.be/8Gv0H-vPoDc
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Re: Some tips on writing ads

Post by Publisher » Sun May 31, 2015 9:51 pm

And another bump
Publisher wrote:Some tips on writing ads here:

Don't string words together. Don't use special characters. Don't use alternating capital letters and lower case letters. Include a city and state.

Repeat the location. Give an accurate description of yourself. Include contact information. Again, don't use funky characters or the bizarre alternating strings of text. Use paragraphs, we are taught to read strings of letters in specific patterns - use them.

3. Use spell check.

A good copywriter will write then re-write an advertisement at least once. Run the ad through a spell checker before posting it.

4. Grammar counts

If your grammar skills are poor, your ad will be unintelligible. Pay a copywriter to write your ad if necessary to prevent inadvertent use of the wrong word/words.

Here are good examples of bad copy writing, taken from ads posted here, and deleted:
1)SEXY
2)CLASSY
3)INTELLIGENT
4)ALL NATRUAL
5)100% PICS R ME

I'm turly classy blonde hair blue eye angle.. On my way to see you.. I'll be arriving latter this evening.. So call now to set-up your apponitment. You really dont want to mess the lady you day dream about daily.
I AM OBVIOUSLY THA BEST DAMN LOOKIN GIRL IN TOWN AND THA MOST PROFESSIONAL MAMI YOU'LL FALL OVER HEELS FOR AND I KNOW WAT YOUR MISSING SO LEAVE THE SCRAGS ALONE AND CALL A HIGH STANDARD BEST QUALITY DIME PIECE TO YOUR HOME!!! LOVE ALWAYS P.s. GOTA NEW NUMBER!!
It took me a good 5 minutes to decipher what exactly all of that was supposed to mean, and I had to move my lips to get it phonetically.
Any type of money exchanged is between 2 agreeing adults for championship thanks
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:02 pm

I'm going to add:

You're missing your audience if you just keep editing old ads instead of creating a new one. Seeing a months' old thread revived doesn't get people's attention if they're regular visitors here.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:55 am

Further advice:

Unless you like spam (in your email), don't put your email address in the body of the ad. BP and GBN don't block the searchbots from scraping that information, so virtually every douchebag website in the WORLD will grab it up and send you crap.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:59 am

Publisher wrote:I'm going to add:

You're missing your audience if you just keep editing old ads instead of creating a new one. Seeing a months' old thread revived doesn't get people's attention if they're regular visitors here.
Of course, the people guilty of this are also the least likely to turn off their self-absorption long enough to read this.

One other thing - after you post, read what you wrote, and edit it. Real world example just from today - the message came up blank because of malformed code inserted in the body of the ad.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Re: Some guidelines on writing ads here

Post by Publisher » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:32 pm

TIme for a bump.
Publisher wrote:Some tips on writing ads here:

3. Use spell check.

4. Grammar counts

5. Do not obfuscate your telephone number.

1)SEXY
2)CLASSY
3)INTELLIGENT
4)ALL NATRUAL
5)100% PICS R ME

- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Re: Some Tips on Writing Ads

Post by Publisher » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 am

Prime example of an advertisement that fails:

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=69040

Where, exactly, is this taking place? When? How?

If you are leaving the reader guessing, or forcing them to seek out the information, the ad fails.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:26 am

Adding to this:

If you want to include a website with your, read the Rules. app.php/rules

Secondly, if your link is to a pay site, of any kind, it will be deleted because your ability to backlink to GBN doesn't exist, or is behind a firewall that isn't accessible to the searchbots run by Google and Bing, and a variety of others.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Utter failure ad

NAME
Open minded, REDACTED, Discrete, Ambitious 
Seeking metal beneficial relationships with someone who is willing to invest in my personal/,business endeavers

No city. No phone number. No web site. No email address.

And whats a "metal beneficial relationship"?
- Edmund Burke

Return to “Advertising Policies”