College Football - Some Would Say Way, Way Too Early

All Things College Sports
John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Law Enforcement

Re: College Football - Some Would Say Way, Way Too Early

Post by John Galt » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:31 am

Some believe in conspiracies. See Russiagate. One might start believing in Ohiostategate. It's really b.s., although it had no impact on tPSU. The offensive line and one other piece did. As I mentioned much earlier in this thread. I hope tOSU loses again as I still think tPSU is a better team. I suspect they go out in the first round if they make it, but this season they are a better representative for the B1G.

Does the B1G make the show? I think so. Three reasons. Money. Big 12 and Pac 12.

Is Miami a good team? Yes. Are they a T10 team? Kind of, but not really.

Is Wisconsin a good team? Yes. Are they are T10 team? Kind of, but not really.

I do think Georgia and Notre Dame are for real this season.

If you are Iowa, and you have to lose. And be made fun of. I guess it's best to make sure all of your losses are to ranked teams. Some others can only babble about superiority, but cannot make this claim. And it's not like I've expected a lot out of my team this year. Other than 16 freshman have now played, and I think after yesterday night.

With respect to the B1G. Iowa and/or Michigan State will be in the mix in the next 1-3 seasons. Book it. You cannot play as many young players as each team has, and not expect development. Although that is never guaranteed. There is the other theory the one bookmaker uses. Every other season flip flop the takeaway ratio. If you are Iowa, given who is the head coach, you'd also flip flop the penalty ratio.

This season as I see it now, it is Alabama and Georgia. A step below is Notre Dame, and possibly PSU, tOSU. Maybe one or two other teams below that, but I'm not even sure about that.

As I had suspected years back, the B1G money has allowed the B1G to catch up to a point of respectability. Alabama spends $54MM annually on football. Latest I can find. The top 10 is littered with SEC, B1G, Texas and Notre Dame. Some incredible facts emerge. Northwestern is in the T20. They rank above USC. And Florida State. And Clemson. And Oregon.

Follow the money. Throw out hte dynasties living off of past reputation. Look at teams with BCS, CFP, and T10 finished in recent history. Look at the money. See the clear pattern.

If you are a Texas, Florida or Auburn fan right now, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Money always wins in the end. Arkansas to a lesser extent.

Anyone surprised except TV analysts about Washington? Look at the money list, you shouldn't be.
"Our own fight for the West does not begin on the battlefield — it begins with our minds, our wills, & our souls! "

The Warsaw Speech 7/6/2017.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:09 am

MSU and Iowa, barring anything strange, will be very, very good in the next 2-3 seasons. Based on freshmen getting meaningful snaps.

Respect for JF. He has done a lot to rebuild his reputation. His actions against MSU were classy.

We need 8 is the CFP. Take this 2 loss thing out of it. If you win a conference championship, you're in. Period.

Miami - Notre Dame will be a ratings goldmine.

This thing about calling undefeated team pretenders. A nice talking point. But winning is winning.

Matt Campbell is for real. A Big 12 coach talking about the running game. He indicated he is staying, but $7MM might say otherwise.

There are some 3 loss teams that should be ranked ahead of some 2 loss teams.

LSU is awfully close. Iowa has played LSU 3 times. I've attended all those games. It is an interesting fan base, and I've enjoyed my interactions. South Carolina as well. Great food at LSU tailgates.

Nebraska hires to recruit California presumably. They still don't get it about the new nature of national recruiting. They'll figure it out, and figure out they'll have breakout seasons, but never again will they be as consistent as their past glory days. The quicker they figure it out, the quicker they start to build a developmental program that will have breakout seasons.

Pat Fitzgerald in many ways might be one of the most under ranked CFB coaches.

This thing about the CFP and Clemson. Taking into account injuries. I have an idea. How about football is a team game, and the back ups need to be ready? In 2009 Iowa had an injured QB. They lost to tOSU in the last game. They went to the Orange Bowl, not the NC. Clemson lost to Syracuse. No way should they be ahead of one loss teams who lost to ranked opponents.

Games played in November are games to remember. They are indicative of development, and ability to play when athletes are dinged, or gone. Football is a team game.

At this point in the season, one needs to take a look at where losses came from. To my point about some three loss teams, with all three losses coming to ranked opponents.

Say what you want about the B1G, but they have taken steps to narrow the margin between themselves and the SEC. And it is all about the money.

I predicted the B1G would cannibalize themselves.

I predicted Iowa had a better chance to beating tOSU than tPSU. I didn't predict yesterday.

After Iowa played Iowa State, I predicted Iowa State would win some Big 12 games, and go to a bowl.

I also predicted Trump would win. He likes college football better than he likes college basketball. Enough said.
"Our own fight for the West does not begin on the battlefield — it begins with our minds, our wills, & our souls! "

mooseknuckle

Post by mooseknuckle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:26 am

I predicted you would have a long post after yesterday’s win. I was watching my son play in a D3 yawner and was following the hawks on my phone. Still shocked really, on such a dominat win.

Totally agree with you about PSU coach. Class guy.

And, while I think B Mayfield won the heisman yesterday, I still struggle giving too many props to either of those OK teams when their D gives up 50. But, maybe with his heisman win, B Mayfield can open a chain of smoked meat restaurants like Billy Simms.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 am

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 am

Somewhat boring, but one of my favorite games in college football was played yesterday. The 117th Marine Corps -v- Army football classic. Unfortunately for the Marine Corps, their team is made up largely of Naval cadets.

A group of America's best and brightest took the field in snow yesterday and played traditional football. Army prevailed, and congratulations to them.

Due to scheduling I'll probably not make more than two Florida bowl games this winter. I always liked going to the Boca Raton bowl, but no way I can make it down that early. I think I'll probably go see Va Tech / Okie St and Meechigan / SC.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Bowl game season. Where many times a southern school gets to play a northern school in essentially a home game. Until the weather got much cooler all over the southern US this bowl season. And then northern schools seemingly are winning almost every game.

And the B1G? One more reason we need an eight team playoff. Five P5 conference champions and three at large. First round played on campus. Even if it's snowing in Madison, Ann Arbor, etc.

Poker69
Donor

Post by Poker69 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 pm

John Galt wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:35 pm
Bowl game season. Where many times a southern school gets to play a northern school in essentially a home game. Until the weather got much cooler all over the southern US this bowl season. And then northern schools seemingly are winning almost every game.

And the B1G? One more reason we need an eight team playoff. Five P5 conference champions and three at large. First round played on campus. Even if it's snowing in Madison, Ann Arbor, etc.
lol. shilling for networks.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Karma8791
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Right Here

Post by Karma8791 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Great Rose Bowl game. I didn’t have a dog in this fight (pun intended) but it was great game to watch!
Now....Roll Tide
You won't earn a purple heart hiding in that foxhole.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:15 am

Washington at #17 in recruiting weighting? Interesting, and especially interesting when coupled with my other post about teams, and their ability to spend money. Money, it is the reason.

Welcome Liberty University to FBS.

I had predicted some conference realignment as we haven't had any for a while. I'm wondering if the inclusion of Oklahoma last season in the CFP delays this. I also thought the B12/Texas TV contract expired soon, but it looks like that isn't accurate. The B12 likely invites new members before the next TV extension.

CFP clearly needs all 5 conference champion in the playoff. For everything wrong with the CFP, most pure fans of college football agree this is an improvement over the old system. Some of the (former) blue bloods that brag so much about number of NC's would never have as many NC's in the new system. Anyway, arguing about the past has always seemed silly to me if it goes past the last 5-7 seasons, and especially since I've heard teams will play games starting in August/ Sept 2018.

DMLawPro
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Your City: West of The Nile

Post by DMLawPro » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 am

It would be nice if we had an abbreviation guide to go by...

CFP's, NC's, B1G's, BSC's - could go a lonnnnnng way in trying to decipher the history of this great thread.
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it......

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:35 am

FBS - Football Bowl Subdivision
CFP - College Football Playoffs
B1G - Big Ten Conference
BCS - Bowl Championship Series (former championship game before the playoffs)
GFACFAL - Golfing, Fishing and College Football are Life

mooseknuckle

Post by mooseknuckle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Pretty anxious to see how the second coming of Jesus will do in Nebraska. Grew up loving the days of the great Cornhusker offensive lines with Remington and the old fumblerooski. Also loved the Hawks and went to most if not all Iowa games from ‘79-‘88. But, moved to Lincoln after College from ‘92-‘96 and married into a Cornhusker family with season tickets so I caught a lot of games when they used to dominate.

Expectations are really high for the Frost kid and I hope he can bring them back to being competitive. While I do not subscribe to everything Tom Osborne like my family and most Nebraskans do, I did like the way he used the walk-on program very well and it sounds like Frost is selling that idea as well. In today’s CF and kids in general, I hope everyone involved has the patience. Only time will tell.

Dr. Hackenbush
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Role: Curious Seeker

Post by Dr. Hackenbush » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 am

Got to Lighten this Thread up a little ---

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... _ImZlVxtRg

If you want to move this to Jokes and Funnies that's OK :lol:
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints -- the sinners are much more fun"

finman56
International Grain Cartel

Post by finman56 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Dr. Hackenbush wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 am
Got to Lighten this Thread up a little ---

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... _ImZlVxtRg

If you want to move this to Jokes and Funnies that's OK :lol:
As a hawkeye fan (my son and $$$$'s went there) that is downright funny. The guy must have interned at The Onion. =))
"Don't ask me no questions and I won't tell you no lies "
"Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in"

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:51 am

Jalen Hurts or Tua Tagovailoa? Probably still #1

Clemson loses quite a lot to the NFL draft, but still in there at #2.

Georgia really has a rocking freshman class.

tOSU. Because.

Oklahoma.

Wisconsin has improved skill positions.

Miami?

Auburn.

Notre Dame. 2 O linemen gone.

tPSU? Hard to say with SB gone, and a new OC.

LSU and Ed "Weird Talking" Orgeron. Just a fun train wreck to watch within their fan base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42m0L4ITf4

tMSU. A very, very young team last season. Should be interesting to watch this year.

What happens to UCF w/o Frost?

What happens to tBugEater w/ Frost?

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:53 am

159 days, 17 hrs and 20 mins.

Or 25 days, 17 hrs and 20 minutes to the spring game.

Former Iowa basketball player sited at closed football practice yesterday.

Recruiting class of 2018, some already on campus. In order of impact players/class rankings, least to most.

The Fighting Chief Illiniwek got a DT and QB that potentially could provide immediate help.

Iowa State gets a WR.

Purdue gets a WR and DL help.

Iowa gets potential future starting QB, one very good DT and decent DB's.

Wiscy gets a LB and WR

Nebby gets a QB and very solid WR's.

tMSU gets a TE and DB's.

Meatchicken gets a DE and DB's.

Miami has stepped up their game. Bigly. Another T10 recruiting class.

tPSU gets another T10 class.

tOSU is #3.

Texas is #2.

Those Longhorns. Firs they sue ShaggyBevo, and made them change their name. Now ShaggyTexas gets used again, and they are begging for money in a somewhat comical series of events, including a very comical court deposition:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showth ... -ownership

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:26 am

What about LUC, the Loyola University Chicago Football Ramblers?

Why no mention of the very important National Club Football Association power rankings? Where does LUC fall into the Great Lake West Conference 2018 mix?

https://www.lucfootball.com/

It's difficult as we have first year coach Norman Perez, also acting as the defensive coordinator. That, and there are no updates since the first game of 2017.

Rumors are coming out of Chicago, Peoria, Champaign, Bloomington and even out of the prison in the Danville/Covington area that Sister Jean Dolores-Schmidt has placed all of LUC resources behind their basketball program, but will likely pray for the club football program starting this summer.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:12 am

Donations way down. Tax code changes I suspect are mostly responsible.

Only $130MM at Iowa total revenue, but still over performing when measured by population.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/how ... ools-earn/

In a nut shell, college football results, in the long term, can really be calculated to the mean by state's population, and revenue. More so, state population.

So as I've mentioned previously with respect to Nebraska and their former stranglehold on national recruiting, now they are like everyone else since we have over 100 schools recruiting nationally. Their state's population is small, and their revenue while impressive, isn't great.

In the inverse, this can also be used as a reason why Wisconsin seem to always be above average. Big state. One FBS school. No major FCS school.

showmanpoint5
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo

Post by showmanpoint5 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:09 am

not a bama fan....but they will probably dominate again next year.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:22 am

Purdue, Illinois, Auburn and tMSU wrapped up their spring on Saturday.

This Friday Wiscy.

It's mostly all over by the end of April.

Cold weather in West Lafayette, and they brought in as many people as I've seen there. I'm happy about this as the trips to Champiagn, Bloomington and West Lafayette have always lacked a "true' college football atmosphere. Certainly a mixed bag though, we'll probably not be getting 50 yard lines tickets for $20.00 any longer. At least not in West Lafayette.

Road trips this year are mostly underwhelming.

Minneapolis. Difficult as the entire game day is essentially in the city. They are not set up for parking, tailgating or frankly anything about a college football game. I'm not sure what they do for the Vikings, but that town is clearly a pro sports town.

Indiana. Bloomington is the most favorable destination of the three "southern" basketball schools. Although it is revealing that in a town that is home to a liberal school, Confederate flags are flown everywhere.

Penn State. October 27th, so the weather is the factor here. Probably can still trout fish a somewhat mountainous region.

Purdue. The weather should be warmer as this is far enough south. But necessarily with the three "southern" schools, one must endeavor to never stay in Campaign, Bloomington or West Lafayette due to peak pricing, and lack of anything approaching decent food options.

Champaign. One wouldn't think they would need to show up early here. One would be wrong. The Champaign PD, and its entire traffic control and parking are a mess. As in that state is so friggin broke, they have virtually none. I can't imagine that they had more than 30K at the game the last time I was there. And it took nearly 90 minutes to get out of town. It started to snow, and consequently was graphically illustrated at how little money Illinois has. They couldn't even provide snow removal on their interstates. I'm hoping there has been a change here, and maybe with their new coach, there has been. Champaign has cleaned up a lot since I first started to travel there, I will give them this. But it still remains the part of the country where the Midwest meets the South, and the region doesn't have any of the redeeming qualities of either region.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 am

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

There are some outliers here, but for tenured coaches the pattern of (recent) T10 finishes are directly proportional to the dollar outlay of the football programs.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:33 pm

scarletknight
Advanced Donor

Post by scarletknight » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Saw that - it was nice moment.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~Calvin & Hobbes

finman56
International Grain Cartel

Post by finman56 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:07 pm

scarletknight wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:32 pm
Saw that - it was nice moment.
Awesome
"Don't ask me no questions and I won't tell you no lies "
"Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in"

mooseknuckle

Post by mooseknuckle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Spring game attendance records are likely to be broken tomorrow in Lincoln. Anxious to see what the wunderkid’s offense in going to look like. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make a nice run in B10 this year but I’m not drunk on the kook aid either. #GBR

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:01 am

Defense ahead of the offense. As it always is in the spring and early fall.

RG and LG were swapped.

Looked to leverage on 3 downs from OL.

The two guards showed flashes.

WR, always a concern, showed more speed this year. Confirmed by WR coach.

Big nose guard from JC looks like a huge get. He is not eligible until next season.

DL look deep, and looks like the best unit.

Punting looks better. Still a work in progress.

LB is still a concern, and even more so after the injury. There are n real starters there at this point.

If DL is as good as it loooks, this will somewhat mitigate the questions marks at LB.

Last time Iowa replaced three LB's, it was not a fun season.

I did not have binos, so this is very anecdotal.

Watching the spring game one really needs to key in on line play and leverage. Arm positions. Difficult to do without binos.

HGF, who is NOT an Iowa homers thoughts:

https://twitter.com/hawkeyegamefilm?ref ... .229153%2F

HGF helps put a large number of linemen in the NFL, so I'd obviously defer to him.

I think the latest story I read is 10 linemen for both Alabama and Iowa.

As a fan, always difficult to reconcile the number of number of NFL players we have, at the top end in in the country, versus the win/loss record.

mooseknuckle

Post by mooseknuckle » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:12 am

I don’t follow the data that closely. One thing it never shows with Iowa is how they can beat Michigan or Ohio State and lose to Indiana or Minnesota. With the exception of a couple of years ago, it happens every year.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:29 am

Very little room for error at Iowa. Last year's head scratcher was Purdue. Purdue has actually invested in football, and Jeff Brohm likely is building something there.

Iowa fans were certainly disappointed last season, as they, and most every other team's fans usually are. Examine the losses. Penn State early. Close game. Michigan State at Michigan State. Close game. Northwestern at Northwestern. Overtime. Northwestern finished 10-3. Wisconsin at Wisconsin. This was not a close game, no matter the score. This was a physical beat down by an extremely young Wisconsin team. And Purdue.

Purdue's coach is no fool. Iowa had that game won in the 1st half, despite no meaningful offensive production. Purdue went into the locker room, examined game film, saw one Iowa CB was hobbled, came out and threw at that CB the entire second half, and won. That's a good coach. Purdue will start to make some noise in the future if they can recruit and develop players.

mooseknuckle

Post by mooseknuckle » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:33 am

John Galt wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:29 am
Very little room for error at Iowa. Last year's head scratcher was Purdue. Purdue has actually invested in football, and Jeff Brohm likely is building something there.

Iowa fans were certainly disappointed last season, as they, and most every other team's fans usually are. Examine the losses. Penn State early. Close game. Michigan State at Michigan State. Close game. Northwestern at Northwestern. Overtime. Northwestern finished 10-3. Wisconsin at Wisconsin. This was not a close game, no matter the score. This was a physical beat down by an extremely young Wisconsin team. And Purdue.

Purdue's coach is no fool. Iowa had that game won in the 1st half, despite no meaningful offensive production. Purdue went into the locker room, examined game film, saw one Iowa CB was hobbled, came out and threw at that CB the entire second half, and won. That's a good coach. Purdue will start to make some noise in the future if they can recruit and develop players.
Road games alwas tough in B10 and totally agree on Purdue coach. His star is on the rise and they need to lock him down like Iowa State did with theirs...

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:42 am

Yes. It's not like either Iowa or Nebraska play in the B12, where they overspend on marginal coaches, and still haven't figured out how to develop a running game, or lines on either side of the ball. Because I guess rushing doesn't win games, and the offensive and defensive lines are optional in the recipe to win.

If you want a head scratcher, look at Iowa State. They kind of finally figured this out, for a lot less money, and talent, than Texas as an example.

Nebraska lost their way. Nebraska, probably still with some B12 thinking, figured it our much sooner than most B12 schools, and schools with more money and resources.

Nebraska's turnaround will be instantaneous as they still have talent. Probably within 2-3 seasons, if not sooner.

Poker69
Donor

Post by Poker69 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:02 pm

B12 does okay. No special cupcakes and wannabee division or power cluster like it had in the past, that B10 and others have now. Money driving expansion sacrifices competition. Divisions regularly sideline better teams while marshmallow conquerors get trophies on their way to sacrifice under TV spotlights. But as a business model fans pay more for less and that tells you where it's headed. Sometimes we get a break though. Georgia over Alabama was a spectacular fulfillment of a big game promise B10 is unlikely to honor anytime soon. Pac, Acc, maybe sometimes.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Appearances - SEC: 5, ACC: 4, B1G: 3, B & P 12: 2

Championships - SEC: 2, ACC & B1G: 1, P & B 12: 0

# of Teams - SEC, ACC, B1G & P12: 2, B12: 1

Records SEC: 6-3, ACC: 3-3, B1G: 2-2, P12: 1-2, B12: 0-2

Poker69
Donor

Post by Poker69 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Your head is stuffed backwards so far up your hometown helmet you are incapable of conversation outside your practiced recitations.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:51 pm

Part of your recitations were specifically directed at the B1G, Pac 12 and Big 12. My response to your recitations was to post evidence that is not refutable, and clearly shows where the B1G, B12 & PAC 12 fall.

No where, outside of the breakdown of my team's spring scrimmage which wasn't a part of this, did I bring my team into this. But I could merely by pointing out the rarefied air they are in with respect to recent T10 finishes, and being one game away from the CFP. None of those results really satisfies me however, but the results are also irrefutable. But they're history, albeit recent history. Still meaningless. But more meaningful than history over 20 years old, which is so meaningless, it is laughable.

Because at the end of the day, there really is a scoreboard in all facets of life, and since college football is life in many ways, it is relevant.

Shaggy Bevo posters, later Shaggy Texas posters after UT sued them, and now Shaggy Texas posters with a new owner after the members self destructed the board as a result of another lawsuit are reasonable posters. Many have joined us not only to discuss college football, but also to explore the ongoing 2nd American Revolution being discussed on another board.

Past proves future.

Poker69
Donor

Post by Poker69 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:01 pm

You're still a one trick pony. I just wanted you to do it again.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:18 am

Alabama -- 11 (Minkah Fitzpatrick, No. 11 to Dolphins)
Appalachian State -- 1 (Colby Gossett, No. 213 to Vikings)
Arkansas -- 2 (Frank Ragnow, No. 20 to Lions)
Arizona -- 1 (Dane Cruikshank, No. 152 to Titans)
Arizona State -- 3 (Kalen Ballage, No. 131 to Dolphins)
Auburn -- 4 (Braden Smith, No. 37 to Colts)
Boise State -- 2 (Leighton Vander Esch, No. 19 to Cowboys)
Boston College -- 3 (Harold Landry, No. 41 to Titans)
BYU -- 1 (Fred Warner, No. 70 to 49ers)
Cal -- 2 (Devante Downs, No. 225 to Vikings)
Central Michigan -- 1 (Tyler Conklin, No. 157 to Vikings)
Cincinnati -- 1 (Korey Cunningham, No. 254 to Cardinals)
Clemson -- 3 (Dorian O'Daniel, No. 100 to Chiefs)
Colorado -- 1 (Isaiah Oliver, No. 58 to Falcons)
Colorado State -- 1 (Michael Gallup, No. 81 to Cowboys)
Florida -- 5 (Taven Bryan, No. 29 to Jaguars)
Florida State -- 6 (Derwin James, No. 17 to Chargers)
FIU -- 1 (Alex McGough, No. 220 to Seahawks)
Georgia -- 6 (Roquan Smith, No. 8 to Bears)
Houston -- 1 (Matthew Adams, No. 221 to Colts)
Indiana -- 2 (Ian Thomas, No. 101 to Panthers)
Iowa -- 3 (James Daniels, No. 39 to Bears)
Kansas -- 1 (Dorance Armstrong, No. 116 to Cowboys)
Kansas State -- 1 (D.J. Reed, No. 142 to 49ers)
Louisiana-Lafayette -- 2 (Tracy Walker, No. 82 to Lions)
Louisiana Tech -- 1 (Boston Scott, No. 201 to Saints)
Louisville -- 4 (Jaire Alexander, No. 18 to Packers)
LSU -- 7 (Donte Jackson, No. 55 to Panthers)
Maryland -- 2 (D.J. Moore, No. 24 to Panthers)
Memphis -- 2 (Anthony Miller, No. 51 to Bears)
Miami -- 6 (Chad Thomas, No. 67 to Browns)
Michigan -- 2 (Mason Cole, No. 97 to Cardinals)
Michigan State -- 1 (Brian Allen, No. 111 to Rams)
Middle Tennessee -- 1 (Richie James, No. 240 to 49ers)
Mississippi State -- 4 (Martinas Rankin, No. 80 to Texans)
Missouri -- 1 (J'Mon Moore, No. 133 to Packers)
NC State -- 7 (Bradley Chubb, No. 5 to Broncos)
Nebraska -- 1 (Tanner Lee, No. 203 to Jaguars)
Nevada -- 1 (Austin Corbett, No. 33 to Browns)
New Mexico -- 1 (Jason Sanders, No. 229 to Dolphins)
New Mexico State -- 1 (Jaleel Scott, No. 132 to Ravens)
North Carolina -- 3 (M.J. Stewart, No. 53 to Bucs)
Northwestern -- 1 (Justin Jackson, No. 251 to Chargers)
Notre Dame -- 4 (Quenton Nelson, No. 6 to Colts)
Ohio -- 1 (Quentin Poling, No. 227 to Dolphins)
Ohio State -- 7 (Denzel Ward, No. 4 to Browns)
Oklahoma --4 (Baker Mayfield, No. 1 to Browns)
Oklahoma State -- 4 (James Washington, No. 60 to Steelers)
Ole Miss -- 4 (Breeland Speaks, No. 46 to Chiefs)
Oregon -- 2 (Royce Freeman, No. 71 to Broncos)
Penn State -- 6 (Saquon Barkley, No. 2 to Giants)
Pitt -- 3 (Brian O'Neill, No. 62 to Vikings)
Purdue -- 1 (Ja'Whaun Bentley, No. 143 to Patriots)
Rutgers -- 2 (Kemoko Turay, No. 52 to Colts)
San Diego State -- 2 (Rashaad Penny, No. 27 to Seahawks)
San Jose State -- 1 (Jermaine Kelly, No. 222 to Texans)
SMU -- 3 (Courtland Sutton, No. 40 to Broncos)
South Carolina -- 1 (Hayden Hurst, No. 25 to Ravens)
South Florida -- 2 (Deadrin Senat, No. 90 to Falcons)
Southern Miss -- 3 (Tarvarius Moore, No. 95 to 49ers)
Stanford -- 4 (Justin Reid, No. 68 to Texans)
Syracuse -- 1 (Zaire Franklin, No. 235 to Colts)
TCU -- 3 (Joe Noteboom, No. 89 to Rams)
Temple -- 2 (Jake Martin, No. 186 to Seahawks)
Tennessee -- 3 (Rashaan Gaulden, No. 85 to Panthers)
Texas -- 4 (Connor Williams, No. 50 to Cowboys)
Texas A&M -- 3 (Christian Kirk, No. 47 to Cardinals)
Texas Tech -- 2 (Keke Coutee, No. 103 to Texans)
Toledo -- 1 (Logan Woodside, No. 249 to Bengals)
Tulane -- 2 (Parry Nickerson, No 179 to Jets)
UCF -- 4 (Mike Hughs, No. 30 to Vikings)
UCLA -- 5 (Josh Rosen, No. 10 to Cardinals)
UConn -- 1 (Folorunso Fatukasi, No. 180 to Jets)
USC -- 4 (Sam Darnold, No. 3 to Jets)
Utah -- 1 (Kylie Fitts, No. 181 to Bears)
UTEP -- 1 (Will Hernandez, No. 34 to Giants)
UTSA -- 1 (Marcus Davenport, No. 14 to Saints)
Vanderbilt -- 1 (Oren Burks, No. 88 to Packers)
Virginia -- 2 (Micah Kiser, No. 147 to Rams)
Virginia Tech -- 5 (Tremaine Edmunds, No. 16 to Bills)
Wake Forest -- 2 (Jessie Bates III, No. 54 to Bengals)
Washington -- 5 (Vita Vea, No. 12 to Bucs)
Washington State -- 2 (Cole Madison, No. 138 to Packers)
West Virginia -- 1 (Kyzir White, No. 119 to Chargers)
Western Kentucky -- 2 (Joel Iyiegbuniwe , No. 115 to Bears)
Western Michigan -- 2 (Chukwuma Okorafor, No. 92 to Steelers)
Wisconsin -- 5 (Nick Nelson, No. 110 to Raiders)
Wyoming -- 1 (Josh Allen, No. 7 to Bills)

And here's the breakdown by conference:

SEC -- 53
ACC -- 45
Big Ten -- 33
Pac-12 -- 30
Big 12 -- 20
American -- 18
Conference USA -- 10
Mountain West -- 9
Independent -- 5
MAC -- 5
Sun Belt -- 4
FCS/Division II/III -- 23

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:20 am

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/1546914

Pretty frustrating. Pitt is interesting. Always fielding a team of average players who turn well above average. Never winning 10 games consistently. I can relate.

John Galt
Registered Curmudgeon

Post by John Galt » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:04 am

34 days until the first games start.

42 days for most everyone else's teams.

Fall camp around 10-12 days from today.

StarLabs18

Post by StarLabs18 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:34 pm

Ohio State seriously needs to fire Urban Meyer to save face right now. That report from Brett McMurphy is very damning, especially for a school with a suit in Washington DC for a wrestling coach who was sex offender.

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:23 am

Been over a year since last post...... Do we have a replacement College Football Guru?

I miss these updates...... Even though I don't give 2 craps about College Football....

Poker69
Donor

Post by Poker69 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:54 am

DM, I thought you subscribed to the texting service.

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Near everything but close to nothing

Post by shyboy69 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:15 pm

DMLawPro wrote: Been over a year since last post...... Do we have a replacement College Football Guru?

I miss these updates...... Even though I don't give 2 craps about College Football....
I watch alot of football. My take from yesterday is. Marylands offense is for real. Seriously real! They would appear to have atleast 3 or possibly 4 NFL prospects on their roster. Maryland hung 63 on a Syracuse defense that is touted as being way better then average. All B16 teams should be on call.

Michigan is switching offensive strategies away from the traditional pro set style to more of a read option fast break. They appear to be having growing pains.

USC lost their starting QB for the season. The backup had only received a couple offers from D3 schools. And USC is where he wanted to go. For a true freshman the kid has a very good skill set.

After loosing his starting QB job in Alabama last year, Hurns has transfered to Oklahoma. Head coach Lincoln Riley has transformed him into a Heisman candidate! I had always wondered why Alabama was not able to recruit a blue chip QB. It would appear to be more of a coaching deficiency then a lack of talent coming from their recruits. Hurns ' s move will open some eyes on the QB recruits considering Alabama.

Nice guys finish last? Yes we do! Our women always finish first. Multiple times!
My sparkling personality compensates for not being hung like a horse.

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Good insight Shyboy. Keep us updated weekly please.

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by shyboy69 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:59 am

Clemson has talent all over the field! They must suffer multiple injuries or a huge melt down to not win the national championship again!

After appearing to be an offensive juggernaut for the first few weeks. Maryland seemed to have drank their own cool - aid falling to struggling Temple Owls. Then posting a goose egg against a very good Penn St last week.

While Michigan continues to struggle to get a handle on the new offense. They also continue to look lost and soft in the meantime. Which is not Jim Harbaugh football! Harbaugh has been winning with tough nosed physical football every stop he's made. The Wolverines have a feel good match up with Rutgers this week.

Some of Michigan's issues last week was due to their opponents. The Wisconsin Badgers are a very well rounded team. While not a hurd of 5 star recruits. They recruit what works for them and then coach them up. Don't get me wrong here though. RB Taylor might very well be the best tailback in football this year. His hard work should be rewarded as a first round pick in the up coming NFL draft. It pains me to say that Wisconsin should handle a smart well coached Northwestern Wilcat team this week to move to 4 - 0. If they don't take this week as a let down game.

As we seemed to be enamored with offences this season. LSU continues to impress offensively! By putting up huge passing numbers this season. Which is new for them! They hired a passing coordinator in the off season. Who used to be an employee for coach Payton and the New Orleans Saints.

Alabama is Alabama. I honestly feel Tua is over rated at QB. He's a good college QB. But won't live up to the billing and first round draft pick he'll garner in the draft. The recievers he's throwing to are, on the other hand, very talented. AND VERY FAST!

Nice guys finish last? Yes we do! Our women always finish first. Multiple times!

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by shyboy69 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:40 pm

With the loss of 3rd rated Georgia and emerging Wisconsin Badgers and LSU Tigers, the final 4 teams for the playoff is really muddied right now. Of course still adding Ohio St. Who will sooner or later play Wisconsin. And LSU will sooner or later play Alabama. But because their path are pretty clear, Clemson will be there. ND is lurking in the back ground.

Surprisingly, the Minnesota Golden Gophers are undefeated. They don't belong in the same conversation as the above mentioned. But they are still playing good football. HC PJ Fleck has been on a fast rise. Just a few years back he was a WR coach for Northern Illinois.

Penn St was unranked to start the season and has came up the ranks fast. Their new young fiery signal caller is the perfect replacement for Trace McSorley. McSorley late round draft choice the Baltimore Ravens. Where he's now holding a clipboard on Sundays this year.

Poker69
Donor

Post by Poker69 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Shyboy, you really suck at this. WTF is your problem. You're not featuring Iowa enough. Check the history of this thread. Have some respect. Defense wins. Unless you have a high school offense. Some will get it. Others won't.

I chuckle with my friend who chuckles with me. Sort of. Tightly. But he gets it.

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by shyboy69 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Poker69 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:59 pm
Shyboy, you really suck at this. WTF is your problem. You're not featuring Iowa enough. Check the history of this thread. Have some respect. Defense wins. Unless you have a high school offense. Some will get it. Others won't.

I chuckle with my friend who chuckles with me. Sort of. Tightly. But he gets it.
Iowa is Iowa! Always very competitive. Great coaching under Ferenze. They really shine in a bowl game. I had season tickets to Iowa for a few years. I caught a couple years of coach Fry before Ferentz arrived. The fans who sat around me were all kind of a bunch of male sex organs. LOL Iowa does a lot of things good.....but not alot great. Which is probably do to not being 5 star recruits. Michigan is still struggling from a new offensive philosophy change. So holding them down isn't saying much.

I don't watch as may ACC games as I would like to. But Clemson is the only really team worth watching.

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by shyboy69 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:25 pm

The official playoff rankings came out this week.

1) Ohio St
2) LSU
3) Alabama
4) Penn St

Penn St is the shocker here. Although playing very well. Clemson is left out.

But after today. The bigger stunner is the emergence of Minnesota. The unbeaten Golden Gophers hosted unbeaten Penn St today. And was never intimidated! Knocking off the Nittany Lions. After going to Alabama and winning, LSU will most likely take over the #1 slot next week. Most likely move Penn St out in favor of Clemson.

OH.....Wisconsin beats Iowa. In a close one. Probably closer then most thought it would. LOL

And OHx2. ...........Illinois manages a 20 some point 2nd half comeback over Michigan St. I believe that's 6 wins for Illinois. Making them bowl eligible.

hegone17
Advanced Donor
Your City: QCA

Post by hegone17 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:13 pm

I fully expected Illini to HAVE to beat NE in game 12 for a bowl game but what a great comeback today!!

MN is second best team in BigTen big strong fast and very well coached

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:13 pm

Kind of late SB - End of LSU/Alabama Game they came out with a new one... lol

Clemson does not really play anyone of substance.... However, they did win the championship last year....

hegone17
Advanced Donor

Post by hegone17 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:50 pm

I did lay some loot on Clemson -35 tonight

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by shyboy69 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:50 pm

Ok first off. Iowa somehow beat Minnesota. So now that that is over.

I honestly don't think LSU could defeat Ohio St. They allowed Ole Miss to score 37 and run up about 600 yards of offense. WTF!. How can anyone expect to win a national championship allowing those kinda yards. Ohio St really does seem to be the cream of the crop.

hegone17
Advanced Donor

Post by hegone17 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:23 am

I didn’t watch the LSU v Ol Miss but looking at the stats I wonder if they pulled starters 30 second half points for Ol Miss
OSU did allow Rutgers to score 21 because of pulled starters which I for one was thankful for had OSU over 62

Return to “College Sports”