You know, reading. It's fundamental.
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Post by Publisher » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Do you like detective stories? Do you like a wise cracking PI? Do you like wizards? Supernatural monsters? Chicago? Underdogs? Mayhem and carnage?

Read the Dresden Files series of novels.

The first 3 are sloppy writing, but good stories and a good intro to Harry Dresden - the only wizard in the Yellow Pages.

Hit book 5 and BOOM. Butcher's writing talent and editor hit their stride. By Book 16 - Skin Game, Harry has become attached to three gods, a demi-god or two, a love relationship with one of the grittiest badass female detectives ever conceived, and sired a new demi-god from the remains of a fusion of his subconscious and a Fallen angel.

There's a lot to absorb here. And one hell of an epic story.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

beautifulbridgette
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion
Your City: West Des Moines

Re: Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Post by beautifulbridgette » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 am

Publisher wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:23 pm
Do you like detective stories? Do you like a wise cracking PI? Do you like wizards? Supernatural monsters? Chicago? Underdogs? Mayhem and carnage?

The first 3 are sloppy writing, but good stories and a good intro to Harry Dresden - the only wizard in the Yellow Pages.

Hit book 5 and BOOM. Butcher's writing talent and editor hit their stride. By Book 16 - Skin Game, Harry has become attached to three gods, a demi-god or two, a love relationship with one of the grittiest badass female detectives ever conceived, and sired a new demi-god from the remains of a fusion of his subconscious and a Fallen angel.

Love this series, would recommend to anyone who likes gum shoe noir. Harry Dresden is such a great character, funny, chivalrous, and flawed in all the right ways. It's easy to escape into the plot and because emotionally invested in the characters. When Butcher decides to retire The Dresden Files I will be heartbroken.
It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men.
-Mae West

YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Post by YAG » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 am

beautifulbridgette wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 am
Publisher wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Love this series, would recommend to anyone who likes gum shoe noir. Harry Dresden is such a great character, funny, chivalrous, and flawed in all the right ways. It's easy to escape into the plot and because emotionally invested in the characters. When Butcher decides to retire The Dresden Files I will be heartbroken.
Peace Talks comes out this summer. And, reportedly, there will be a TRILOGY ensuing to wrap up the entire series.

Harry by the end of Skin Game has become SO powerful with SO many... badasses... rooting for him, I have a prediction on how it ends - and we have already seen a foreshadowing of it in Turn Coat, and another in Skin Game.

I mean, damn, he has Odin and Hades in his court. An archangel weighs in on Harry's actions - directly. He has Excalibur in his care. And Butters - I still want to SHOUT at HIS metamorphasis.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Post by Publisher » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:35 am

I hope Butche does a collection of side stories about Butters as the Knight.And i HOPE hes the one who takes out Nicodemus. Permanently.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Return to “Literature”