jontron97
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Somewhere cold and miserable

Nonfiction Recomendations

Post by jontron97 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:35 pm

Anybody got any nonfiction recommendations? I like popular science, Malcolm Gladwell, and anything that has a great, lively style!

scarletknight
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Re: Nonfiction Recomendations

Post by scarletknight » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:35 pm

While I don’t necessarily agree with some of his other writing, Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan is pretty good, and well written.

Mark Kurlansky’s books are also kind of in your science vein. I’ve only read Salt, and that was a while back, but I’ve heard good things about his other books, particularly Cod and The Basque History of the World

Devil in the White City is an interesting look at a mass murderer and the Colombian Exposition in Chicago at the end of the 19th century. Extra bonus for the Chicago connection, if you’re from the area.

For lively writing, Bill Bryson is always good. For in-depth looks at various topics, mostly tending toward natural history and geology, take a look at John McPhee’s work.

Straight history - Doris Kearns Goodwin, David McCollough,

Aside from a couple of biographies, I haven’t read much non-fiction recently, so apologies for not having anything more current in here.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~Calvin & Hobbes

jontron97
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Somewhere cold and miserable

Post by jontron97 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 pm

scarletknight wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:35 pm
While I don’t necessarily agree with some of his other writing, Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan is pretty good, and well written.

Mark Kurlansky’s books are also kind of in your science vein. I’ve only read Salt, and that was a while back, but I’ve heard good things about his other books, particularly Cod and The Basque History of the World

Devil in the White City is an interesting look at a mass murderer and the Colombian Exposition in Chicago at the end of the 19th century. Extra bonus for the Chicago connection, if you’re from the area.

For lively writing, Bill Bryson is always good. For in-depth looks at various topics, mostly tending toward natural history and geology, take a look at John McPhee’s work.

Straight history - Doris Kearns Goodwin, David McCollough,

Aside from a couple of biographies, I haven’t read much non-fiction recently, so apologies for not having anything more current in here.
It's all cool. Thanks for the recommendations. Sorry that I am just now seeing this.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Post by Publisher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Theodore Rex
Guns, Germs, and Steel
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Eastern south central Illinois.

Post by Wallaby » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:10 pm

I'd suggest reading 1984.
Sure, its fiction now, but it will get refilled under nonfiction soon.
The Real Wallaby - Accept No Imitations
“Cook, Travel, Eat, Read, repeat.” - Alton Brown

#PokerKnowsTheTruth...Maybe

beautifulbridgette
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion
Your City: West Des Moines

Post by beautifulbridgette » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:47 pm

Mean Genes: From Sex To Money To Food: Taming Our Primal Instincts
by Jay Phelan and Terence C. Burnham
I had to read this for an intro to genetics class but it's truly fascinating and highly recommend it. It links human behavior to evaluation and our genes explaining infidelity, addiction, even compulsive lieing. The best part though is the author explaining an experiment where they do vasectomies on birds, I laughed for weeks picturing what that would look like.
It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men.
-Mae West

YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Post by YAG » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:11 pm

beautifulbridgette wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:47 pm
I had to read this for an intro to genetics class but it's truly fascinating and highly recommend it. It links human behavior to evaluation and our genes explaining infidelity, addiction, even compulsive lieing. The best part though is the author explaining an experiment where they do vasectomies on birds, I laughed for weeks picturing what that would look like.
God, try vasectomies on RATS some time. I got pretty damned good doing surgery on rats my first go through grad school.

GEB is non-fiction, but I'd hardly call it lively. It's like having a 9 course meal being stuffed down your throat involving the interplay between philosopy, music, and high order mathematics. I've managed to get through half of it in a year.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Your City: Madison

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 pm

beautifulbridgette wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:47 pm
I had to read this for an intro to genetics class but it's truly fascinating and highly recommend it. It links human behavior to evaluation and our genes explaining infidelity, addiction, even compulsive lieing.
I have a sort of philosophical objection to using genetics to explain human behavior... Although I grant that it might be a factor, I argue that human behavior is "willfull" (?) - we choose to act as we do, and so we're responsible for our actions...
YAG wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:11 pm
GEB is non-fiction, but I'd hardly call it lively. It's like having a 9 course meal being stuffed down your throat involving the interplay between philosopy, music, and high order mathematics. I've managed to get through half of it in a year.
GEB = "Godel, Escher, Bach" ? - blast from the past ... :-p. I remember really liking both it and "The Mind's I" - but I never read anything he wrote after that (was not even aware of some of them :-( ). Math, Computer Science, and Cognitive Science were my interests at the time I read these, back in college - so maybe that helped out :-p.

Petersteel
Donor
Donor
Your City: Peoria

Post by Petersteel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:54 am

King Leopolds Ghost was pretty well written. Very dark topic and a bit crazy to think about.

MollyMaeDaniels
Donor
Donor
Your City: Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland, Ocala Florida

Post by MollyMaeDaniels » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:12 am

Oh genetics books? My fave. You can actually see if you have any of the genes in the book simply by doing a 23&me test (23&me won't tell you, but any scientist can, or show you how to - thanks PROMETHASE - if you have your raw DNA file).

Another good non-fiction book dealing with human behavior, instincts, etc is Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harris.

I actually found it browsing the NYT best-sellers list, got it for kindle, and the next week, an ATF brought me a hard-back copy without even knowing I had already got it! But definitely get the hardback book - lots of nice color pics.
P411: P90728
Twitter: @MollyDanielsUSA
Swiiter.at: @MollyDaniels
Email: mollydanielsmollydaniels@yahoo.com
LOCATION/TOUR
Cincy, OH: NOW
Pittsburgh, PA: January 2020
CashApp $MollyDanielsUSA

beautifulbridgette
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: West Des Moines

Post by beautifulbridgette » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:13 pm

MollyMaeDaniels wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:12 am
Oh genetics books? My fave. You can actually see if you have any of the genes in the book simply by doing a 23&me test (23&me won't tell you, but any scientist can, or show you how to - thanks PROMETHASE - if you have your raw DNA file).

Another good non-fiction book dealing with human behavior, instincts, etc is Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harris.

I actually found it browsing the NYT best-sellers list, got it for kindle, and the next week, an ATF brought me a hard-back copy without even knowing I had already got it! But definitely get the hardback book - lots of nice color pics.
Thanks for the recommendation started it yesterday and couldn't put it down, taken a ton of notes in margins for future research inquiries. Any recommendations in the area of epigenetics?
It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men.
-Mae West

YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Post by YAG » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:19 am

God, I love smart women.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

Return to “Literature”