AttillatheHung
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Somewhere between Here and There

Re: What are you reading?

Post by AttillatheHung » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Reading a book titled Great Society, authored by Amity Shlaes.

Sounds dry, and is a bit. Documents Lyndon Johnson's attempt to implement his "Great Society". Many parallels to what Bernie Sanders and the New Left are trying to sell. Shows that the combination of policy and some bad implementation led to the dead economy of the 1970's. Intentions were good, but the end game dragged down the country. Book makes a point that current left is ignoring history and going down the same road the country did in the mid-late 1960's. Book is very detailed.

Same author wrote a similar book about Roosevelt's New Deal of the 1930's. Showed that by early 1941, the economy was spinning it's wheels and starting to go down hill again, but then the war broke out and everything changed. Final conclusion is the New Deal in reality was a failure.

Author to me seems to be liberal politically, but also wants to be honest with the facts.

iowareader79
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by iowareader79 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:07 pm
I hesitate to pick up anything by Baxter. Whether he co-authors or not.
Yeah, he's hit and miss for me. I wouldn't have picked this up if it hadn't been for the book blurb and Alastair Reynolds's name on it. I actually liked this one quite a bit.

iowareader79
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by iowareader79 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:50 pm

I realized that it might help to say more about the books.

Prehistoric Games of North American Indians edited by Barbara Voorhies. It was all right. This was very much an academic work so maybe I've lost the ability to enjoy that or I've been reading too much fiction. There's some good info buried under the jargon.

One Night in Sixes by Arianne "Tex" Thompson. This author was recommended by some friends and it was okay. It's a secondary world Western, kind of like Red Country if any of you have ever read Abercrombie. I liked the worldbuilding and the characters, but I found it rather confusing. The author doesn't bother to explain much of the plot or the world, and while I appreciate not overdoing the info-dumping, it's possible to go far the other way.

Daughter of Eden by Christ Beckett. This is the third book set in the world of Dark Eden, a book about people stuck on a rogue planet. I enjoyed this while I was reading it, but not much has stuck with me so it was fine.

Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey. This is sort of a post-apocalyptic Western. I really liked the world and the characters, but had problems otherwise. Basically, it boils down to the fact that this is a novella that should have been a full novel. Too much happens in too few pages when the story really should have had room to breathe.

The Terra-Cotta Dog
by Andrea Camilleri. This the second book in the Inspector Montelbano series translated from Italian. I really liked this. The main character has a real sardonic sense of humor that I dig.

Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland. Somehow I thought this was going to be trilogy, but the book ends in a way that feels like it's a duology. Anyway, this is the sequel to Dread Nation, set several years after a zombie uprising interrupted the Civil War. I really enjoyed the first book and I really enjoyed this one too. They both have blistering things to say about race in America.

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Some of you may have heard of The Witcher tv show on Netflix or the played the video game. This the Polish book series that those are based on. I really enjoyed this book a lot. If you plan on watching the show, I'd recommend reading this first so you're not lost.

MollyMaeDaniels
Donor
Donor
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion
Your City: Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland, Ocala Florida

Post by MollyMaeDaniels » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:29 pm

I've been on a horror kick this week.

The Elementals: Michael McDowell.
-Meh. About a sand ghost. It's no Stephen king's shining or IT.

The Call: Peadar O'Guilin
This one is good - Irish author, story set in Ireland. Has a Hunger Games/Stranger things/Institute (new Stephen king book) vibe.
Ireland is cut off from the world due to the Sidhe (aka fairies) and every kid between the ages of 13-18 will get 'the call'; where they wake up naked in fairy land and have to survive being hunted by the fairies for 24 hours. Sounds cheesy but it isn't.

At the Mountains of Madness (do I even need to say?)
About halfway thru this one. I don't think I've ever read much LoveCraft (not that I can remember right now), but hot damn he is wordier than Hemingway or Melville! I can't speed read this one damnnit! It's about an exploration into Antartica that uncovers an evil pre-human race or something. I'm to the part where just the 2 of them found the huge ancient city on the other side of the mountains.
P411: P90728
Twitter: @MollyDanielsUSA
Swiiter.at: @MollyDaniels
Email: mollydanielsmollydaniels@yahoo.com
LOCATION/TOUR
Cincy, OH: NOW
Pittsburgh, PA: January 2020
CashApp $MollyDanielsUSA

YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Post by YAG » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:03 pm

Lovecraft buries you alive in words until you scream.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member

Post by vorlon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:22 pm

MollyMaeDaniels wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:29 pm
I've been on a horror kick this week.

The Elementals: Michael McDowell.
-Meh. About a sand ghost. It's no Stephen king's shining or IT.

This one is good - Irish author, story set in Ireland. Has a Hunger Games/Stranger things/Institute (new Stephen king book) vibe.
Ireland is cut off from the world due to the Sidhe (aka fairies) and every kid between the ages of 13-18 will get 'the call'; where they wake up naked in fairy land and have to survive being hunted by the fairies for 24 hours. Sounds cheesy but it isn't.

At the Mountains of Madness (do I even need to say?)
About halfway thru this one. I don't think I've ever read much LoveCraft (not that I can remember right now), but hot damn he is wordier than Hemingway or Melville! I can't speed read this one damnnit! It's about an exploration into Antartica that uncovers an evil pre-human race or something. I'm to the part where just the 2 of them found the huge ancient city on the other side of the mountains.
Benicio del Toro tried for years to get a movie version off the ground. I think he could have pulled it off.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

RattleHead
Donor
Donor
Your City: Beloit, WI

Post by RattleHead » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:39 pm

I'm reading "Tarkin", by James Luceno. I love a good Star Wars book. :ugeek: That, or a Game of Thrones book.

stilllife
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Madison

Post by stilllife » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:01 am

Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse by Victor Gischler. Gischler's books are hit or miss but Go-Go Girls was right on. No zombies an added bonus.

vorlon

Post by vorlon » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:41 am

RattleHead wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:39 pm
I'm reading "Tarkin", by James Luceno. I love a good Star Wars book. :ugeek: That, or a Game of Thrones book.

I enjoyed Tarkin; one of the better Star Wars novels.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

iowareader79
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by iowareader79 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:04 am

MollyMaeDaniels wrote:
I'm a big fan of O'Guilin and really enjoyed The Call and the sequel, The Invasion. He has a trilogy called The Boneworld, which is good too.

fordtruck
International Grain Cartel
Your Role: Curious Seeker

Post by fordtruck » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 am

MollyMaeDaniels wrote:
I don't think I've ever read much LoveCraft (not that I can remember right now), but hot damn he is wordier than Hemingway or Melville!
The pulp magazines he was originally published in paid by the word. That's the same reason Dickens tended toward the verbose—serial magazines of his time had the same pay schedule.
The pervert mentioned in "If Becki calls you a pervert—you're a pervert."

scarletknight
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by scarletknight » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:11 pm

Recently finished Finders Keepers by Stephen King. Next thing is probably the final book of the Bill Hodges trilogy.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~Calvin & Hobbes

MollyMaeDaniels
Donor
Donor

Post by MollyMaeDaniels » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 am

YAG wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:03 pm
That is a good way to put it.
LOCATION/TOUR
CashApp $MollyDanielsUSA

YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Post by YAG » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:21 pm

MollyMaeDaniels wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 am
YAG wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:03 pm
That is a good way to put it.
I've read all of his stuff. I think my Mom and her brother were twisted for thrusting it on my 12 year old mind.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

MollyMaeDaniels
Donor
Donor

Post by MollyMaeDaniels » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:40 pm

iowareader79 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:04 am
MollyMaeDaniels wrote:
I'm a big fan of O'Guilin and really enjoyed The Call and the sequel, The Invasion. He has a trilogy called The Boneworld, which is good too.

Are you *make screaming monkey noises* kidding me?

Did not know there is a sequel to The Call (I'm about 40% Irish BTW - wouldn't know it unless you start trying to count my freckles)
Need to see if The Invasion is available for free e-book stoli from my public library.

What's the Boneworld about?
LOCATION/TOUR
CashApp $MollyDanielsUSA

MollyMaeDaniels
Donor
Donor

Post by MollyMaeDaniels » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:01 pm

*squealing pig sounds* wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 am
MollyMaeDaniels wrote:
I don't think I've ever read much LoveCraft (not that I can remember right now), but hot damn he is wordier than Hemingway or Melville!
The pulp magazines he was originally published in paid by the word. That's the same reason Dickens tended toward the verbose—serial magazines of his time had the same pay schedule.
Holy shit that makes a ton of sense (learn something new everyday).
But I do not see Dickens being verbose to the point that it is unnatural for his time period.

LoveCraft - get your money, honey.

Stephen King traversed the dime-back novel and short story era, too - but if he added words to beef up his paycheck, I never noticed (trait of a superb author, but Mr. King got sober and his shit sux now just saying)

Actually, I will say. Stephen King sucks now. Name me one good novel he has put out since the classics (AKA there's a movie about it).
NADA. NEW BOOK - INSTITUTE. Same premise (basically) as The Call. He needs to drink some bourbon and *make screaming monkey noises* some hookers or something. My GOD! As I think about the Dark Tower compared to his new shit, I cry a little inside.

Maybe the one book, about the writer whose wife dies and he goes to the cabin and it is haunted (can't remember the name - guess I need to read it again) is decent.

And here's my PSA: the more you read, the smarter you are.

FUN FACT: Sesame Street (and Mr. Rodgers and the rest of the PBS shows) taught me how to read back in the 80s. I walked into kindergarten and read books to my peers and they were fascinated (and that is how you start a dictatorship - know something no-one else does).

PS: Hey Pubs, why isn't 'hookers' edited into something more PG?
LOCATION/TOUR
CashApp $MollyDanielsUSA

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor

Re: Peadar O'Guilin

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:23 pm

Hmm - I had never heard of Peadar O'Guilin ...
In case I am not the only one - Amazon has "Forever in the Memory of God: And Other Stories" available for free through their Kindly Unlimited program...
(now on my to-read list :-))

MollyMaeDaniels
Donor
Donor

Re: Peadar O'Guilin

Post by MollyMaeDaniels » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:30 pm

YetAnotherHobbist wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:23 pm
Hmm - I had never heard of Peadar O'Guilin ...
In case I am not the only one - Amazon has "Forever in the Memory of God: And Other Stories" available for free through their Kindly Unlimited program...
(now on my to-read list :-))

I just wish that everyone would post a book summary of the book before they mention it on here.
LOCATION/TOUR
CashApp $MollyDanielsUSA

iowareader79
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by iowareader79 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:11 am

MollyMaeDaniels wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:40 pm
iowareader79 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:04 am
MollyMaeDaniels wrote:

Are you *make screaming monkey noises* kidding me?

Did not know there is a sequel to The Call (I'm about 40% Irish BTW - wouldn't know it unless you start trying to count my freckles)
Need to see if The Invasion is available for free e-book stoli from my public library.

What's the Boneworld about?
Yep! Boneworld is a sci-fi/horror, and it's best not to know too much going in. Here's the blurb for the first book, The Inferior, from Amazon:

"STOPMOUTH AND HIS family know of no other life than the daily battle to survive. To live, they must hunt rival species, or negotiate flesh-trade with those who crave meat of the freshest human kind. It is a savage, desperate existence. And for Stopmouth, considered slowwitted hunt-fodder by his tribe, the future looks especially bleak. But then, on the day he is callously betrayed by his brother, a strange and beautiful woman falls from the sky. It is a moment that will change his destiny, and that of all humanity, forever."

MollyMaeDaniels
Donor
Donor

Post by MollyMaeDaniels » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:38 am

scarletknight wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:11 pm
Recently finished Finders Keepers by Stephen King. Next thing is probably the final book of the Bill Hodges trilogy.

I'm pretty sure I read Mr Mercedes (sounds familiar), but it was such a deviation from my beloved pre-AA King that it did not leave a lasting impression on my mind.
I still stick by my word that King's shit sucks since he went sober; I'm sure the same thing can be said about any other type of famous author, artist, or musician as well.

I did like his newer book about the creepy holy-roller revival-tent preacher. Forget the name (definitely wasn't mind blowing enough to place a hard copy on my limited bookshelf real estate)

It just seems like he has been just churning out simple, easy, quick basic crap books just because he can - each one nets him close to a million I would think pre-publication.

I still love him though and he can never lose his reputation as one of the greatest writers of my time in general, regardless of his genre.
LOCATION/TOUR
CashApp $MollyDanielsUSA

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:21 pm

I just noticed I was two books behind in a series by Patricia Briggs, with Mercy Thompson as the main character - I think "Moon Called" was the first novel in the series - so I restarted reading the set. It's fantasy (skinwalkers, werewolves, vampires, fae) - but it's a bit unusual for the typical fantasy novel in that the main character (Mercy) is not super-powerful, nor does she grow all-powerful as the series progresses. In general, the characters around her are more powerful than she is.
Not a literary award winner - but I think they're fun to read :-).

Return to “Literature”