Fitness Programs

spiffyjim

Fitness Programs

Post by spiffyjim » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Anyone out there do/try/looked into/ purchased but have yet to unwrap because it would be quite strenuous p90x or the now released sequel p90x2?

I am looking for an intense workout regimen for the New Year, well for the first few days of the New Year until I give up and just resume watching the Fit channel for the otherworldly attractive women, I mean to learn stuff about doing exercise thingys.

Terry71

Post by Terry71 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 pm

I have a friend that uses p90x and has had very satisfying results. I own insanity and I tell you what, the name says it all. I'm 40 years old and it is a struggle to keep up with that one. I'm thinking about switching to p90x cause it's less intense. Lol, I remember my first time using insanity and I was going at it with the video for about 15 -20 minutes and thought I was gonna die, then the guy says now that we're warmed up let's start the workout. I said no way I was already hurting and had to go into it at my own pace. I'm an active 40 year old man. Not overweight, Insanity was just pretty intense... Could hardly move my arms after the first week of working out... Lol

Paris-Bouvier

I've looked into it, but yet to purchase it.

Post by Paris-Bouvier » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:40 pm

I have allot of friends that do the p90x and they're all very satisfied.

Paris Bouvier

User avatar
Mr. Chop
International Grain Cartel
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer

Post by Mr. Chop » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:45 am

I don't know if you have looked into kettlebells or not. Initially, these will burn fat fast especially using the swing. Here's a link to a pretty good product. Problem is, not everyone can work out with kettlebells. It's really intense and can fry your nerves.

http://www.dragondoor.com/dv080/
“Where have they gone?" "Wherever magicians used to go. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain.”

User avatar
minn4evr
Chemical Dealer
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Great White North

Post by minn4evr » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:06 am

Mr. Chop wrote:I don't know if you have looked into kettlebells or not. Initially, these will burn fat fast especially using the swing. Here's a link to a pretty good product. Problem is, not everyone can work out with kettlebells. It's really intense and can fry your nerves.

http://www.dragondoor.com/dv080/
Kettlebells are GREAT! If you get to the point where you can do a 20 minute workout moving smoothly from one form to the next with only occasional stops to rest, you are in pretty darn good shape. A kettlebell doesn't require a lot of space to use, and in the summer you can take it outside for your workout. It doesn't need electricity and you will wear out long before the kettlebell does.

There's a great big BUT coming, though. When you start out it is very easy to injure yourself. You are swinging a big lead weight around and when it's time for that much mass to return to rest you'd better be in a proper stance or it's real easy to tear/strain/sprain something and end up with a lead weight flying through the air.

I learned kettlebells from an instructor who was fanatic about good form. It was three sessions before he even let me pick one up. Five more before he would let me do more than five repetitions of any exercise. Even at that I pulled a muscle in my back about a month in and had to take a little time off. He showed me exactly what I was doing wrong, though, and at this point I'm working them independently.

I don't think a workout DVD is sufficient to get started. You need another set of eyes watching to tell you if you are actually in the correct position. Sometimes it feels really awkward at the start when you do it right. I had private lessons and wouldn't want to learn in a class with more than 3 or 4 pupils per instructor.

Obviously YMMV. I'm 61 and got into kettlebells a few years ago as part of rebuilding from a long term sedentary lifestyle. Maybe a fit 30 or 40 year old could go in and just muscle his way through.

Don't be mislead by my use of the masculine pronoun. Kettlebells come in many sizes and are a great workout for the ladies as well. They don't produce bulging muscles like static weight lifting. The dynamic workout pushes you toward a swimmer's physique.

Kettlebells ARE great, if you do it right.

User avatar
Speeder
International Grain Cartel
Posts: 4360
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Quad of the Cities?
Contact:

Post by Speeder » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 am

I get my exercise watching HER exercise. ;)



Image
/l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L – ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 21818
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Post by Publisher » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Speeder22 wrote:I get my exercise watching HER exercise. ;)



Image
This bears repeating. I think a few hundred reps with her riding my hips should do it.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

User avatar
Jeanna
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Minnesota

Post by Jeanna » Sat May 19, 2012 9:19 pm

I tried Insanity fitness, I think its from the same company as P90X.

I tried P90X but just don't have any place to hang my bar. I have completely open house so not many door frames close to livingroom.

I felt great second week into insanity! That program is great but hard on knees.

Please post your results.

User avatar
dave 69
Stripper Quality Control Expert
Posts: 3315
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Contact:

Post by dave 69 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Jeanna99 wrote:I tried Insanity fitness, I think its from the same company as P90X.

I tried P90X but just don't have any place to hang my bar. I have completely open house so not many door frames close to livingroom.

I felt great second week into insanity! That program is great but hard on knees.

Please post your results.
A good friend comes over and works out to insanity.She has nice six pack abs,and a great tone to her body!
I get my exercise from watching her! :twisted:

User avatar
Speeder
International Grain Cartel
Posts: 4360
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Quad of the Cities?
Contact:

Post by Speeder » Sun May 20, 2012 8:59 am

Dave and I routinely hit the gym for some arobic dancing. We have our favorite song that always gets the group going.....





Image


:P
/l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L – ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

User avatar
wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 9920
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Eastern south central Illinois.
Location: Probably at my desk
Contact:

Post by wallaby » Sun May 20, 2012 12:01 pm

ORLY?

I guess you can get away with that today ... but I saw you guys yesterday ...

Image

Not a pretty sight.
Needed leg warmers.
The Real Wallaby - Accept No Imitations
“Cook, Travel, Eat, Read, repeat.” - Alton Brown

#PokerKnowsTheTruth...Maybe

Mr Smores

Post by Mr Smores » Tue May 22, 2012 9:15 pm

dave69 wrote:
Jeanna99 wrote:I tried Insanity fitness, I think its from the same company as P90X.

I tried P90X but just don't have any place to hang my bar. I have completely open house so not many door frames close to livingroom.

I felt great second week into insanity! That program is great but hard on knees.

Please post your results.
A good friend comes over and works out to insanity.She has nice six pack abs,and a great tone to her body!
I get my exercise from watching her! :twisted:
and by watching you mean watching... just like i'd be watching...

User avatar
dave 69
Stripper Quality Control Expert
Posts: 3315
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Contact:

Post by dave 69 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Speeder22 wrote:Dave and I routinely hit the gym for some arobic dancing. We have our favorite song that always gets the group going.....





Image


:P
The ladies really Purrrrrrrr over speeder when he starts pilates!

User avatar
BeccaBodhi
International Grain Cartel
Posts: 840
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion
Your City: I'm based in Milwaukee and available to travel the USA
Contact:

Post by BeccaBodhi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 am

I've always been a heath nut and I love challenging workout. After shooting my last scene, which isn't released yet, I didn't like what I saw. I figured I needed to revamp my exercise program and lay off the Girl Scout cookies. I went back to my hotel the same day I shot and ordered Insanity, with some reservation. I can run 5 miles with no problem, I've been a runner since I could run. I at one time taught kickboxing, aerobics, step class and often 2 or 3 classes a day.

My ego was put in check.

It kicks my butt. It's challenging and humbling to someone who takes pride in their physical abiities. I would recommend it to anyone.

My plan is to do the 60 days. When it's nicer out (I live in Wisconsin), I will run outside and go back to weight training while doing the Insanity every other day. Basicaly, I will althernate Insanity with my other workouts. When winter comes around again, I'm going to do the P90X.

I will tighten up on way or the other!!!
Becca Bodhi
BeccaBodhi@safeoffice.com
TER 141554
P411 26815

SidneyStarr

Post by SidneyStarr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 pm

P90x is great!! My best friend is doing that now, and I plan on getting it and starting it in 25 days. I am three weeks on eating healthy and working out. I am also doing the 30 Day Shred. I am doing the Shred to warm up for p90x. It is a 28 minute long circuit training video and I know many who have had results on it.

I log in every calorie I eat and every calorie I burn and have lost 11 pounds in three weeks. I am tonight up and look good! ;-) I am sticking to this all through Spring and Summer and also doing two Mud Runs this Summer. I feel great!

User avatar
wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 9920
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Eastern south central Illinois.
Location: Probably at my desk
Contact:

Post by wallaby » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:43 pm

SidneyStarr wrote:P90x is great!! My best friend is doing that now, and I plan on getting it and starting it in 25 days. I am three weeks on eating healthy and working out. I am also doing the 30 Day Shred. I am doing the Shred to warm up for p90x. It is a 28 minute long circuit training video and I know many who have had results on it.

I log in every calorie I eat and every calorie I burn and have lost 11 pounds in three weeks. I am tonight up and look good! ;-) I am sticking to this all through Spring and Summer and also doing two Mud Runs this Summer. I feel great!
I keep a FitBit clipped to my jeans ... in combination with logging food via the fitbit website it has been great. I am down about 25lb so far since xmas. Hoping to be down 70 total by September, so a little over a 1/3 the way there.

P90X has me tempted. I have the diet side of things under control now, so time ot kick it into another gear with some fitness as well :)
The Real Wallaby - Accept No Imitations
“Cook, Travel, Eat, Read, repeat.” - Alton Brown

#PokerKnowsTheTruth...Maybe

Samanthadavies

Post by Samanthadavies » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:54 am

I have done p90x and it's insane. As is Insanity, a similar workout. As a personal trainer, circuit workouts to that magnitude are best as it keeps your body guessing. I am a circuit addict.

User avatar
wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 9920
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Eastern south central Illinois.
Location: Probably at my desk
Contact:

Post by wallaby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Wallaby wrote:
SidneyStarr wrote:P90x is great!! My best friend is doing that now, and I plan on getting it and starting it in 25 days. I am three weeks on eating healthy and working out. I am also doing the 30 Day Shred. I am doing the Shred to warm up for p90x. It is a 28 minute long circuit training video and I know many who have had results on it.

I log in every calorie I eat and every calorie I burn and have lost 11 pounds in three weeks. I am tonight up and look good! ;-) I am sticking to this all through Spring and Summer and also doing two Mud Runs this Summer. I feel great!
I keep a FitBit clipped to my jeans ... in combination with logging food via the fitbit website it has been great. I am down about 25lb so far since xmas. Hoping to be down 70 total by September, so a little over a 1/3 the way there.

P90X has me tempted. I have the diet side of things under control now, so time ot kick it into another gear with some fitness as well :)
Well, I lost some I gained some ... and at the end of the day I was down about 20lb for the last 12 months, but had been down 30lb ... so it was a win, but I didn't hit my goals. Now I am not gaining, not losing, just sitting there ... so ...

New Year, new attitude. Pulled the trigger and bought the new P90X3 program today after a friend of mine started a couple of weeks back. The kit plus the gear I need arrive by the end of the week. I'll post progress reports. You'll get sick of me, but it will keep me honest.
The Real Wallaby - Accept No Imitations
“Cook, Travel, Eat, Read, repeat.” - Alton Brown

#PokerKnowsTheTruth...Maybe

Samanthadavies

Post by Samanthadavies » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Wallaby wrote:
Wallaby wrote:
SidneyStarr wrote:P90x is great!! My best friend is doing that now, and I plan on getting it and starting it in 25 days. I am three weeks on eating healthy and working out. I am also doing the 30 Day Shred. I am doing the Shred to warm up for p90x. It is a 28 minute long circuit training video and I know many who have had results on it.

I log in every calorie I eat and every calorie I burn and have lost 11 pounds in three weeks. I am tonight up and look good! ;-) I am sticking to this all through Spring and Summer and also doing two Mud Runs this Summer. I feel great!
I keep a FitBit clipped to my jeans ... in combination with logging food via the fitbit website it has been great. I am down about 25lb so far since xmas. Hoping to be down 70 total by September, so a little over a 1/3 the way there.

P90X has me tempted. I have the diet side of things under control now, so time ot kick it into another gear with some fitness as well :)
Well, I lost some I gained some ... and at the end of the day I was down about 20lb for the last 12 months, but had been down 30lb ... so it was a win, but I didn't hit my goals. Now I am not gaining, not losing, just sitting there ... so ...

New Year, new attitude. Pulled the trigger and bought the new P90X3 program today after a friend of mine started a couple of weeks back. The kit plus the gear I need arrive by the end of the week. I'll post progress reports. You'll get sick of me, but it will keep me honest.
Go you! There is nothing more frustrating then having that little bit there taunting you. You've done it before and you'll do it again. We'll be here to cheer you on, every step of the way. Can't wait to hear about your progress. It's going to be a grueling good time!!

Ellamay
Dangerous Mutant
Dangerous Mutant
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Traveling

Re: Fitness Programs

Post by Ellamay » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:18 pm

spiffyjim wrote:Anyone out there do/try/looked into/ purchased but have yet to unwrap because it would be quite strenuous p90x or the now released sequel p90x2?

I am looking for an intense workout regimen for the New Year, well for the first few days of the New Year until I give up and just resume watching the Fit channel for the otherworldly attractive women, I mean to learn stuff about doing exercise thingys.
Hmm a few sessions with me and I'll have u in tip top shape ...I do not work out at all some hiking but it's been about six months and I still have a rockin bod ....totally flat belly ...no nasty cellulite or stretch marks just straight sexy all over ...

User avatar
Slip131
International Grain Cartel
Posts: 685
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Northwest Indiana
Location: In a van down by the river...

Post by Slip131 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 pm

I've just decided to start a new exercise program... ;-)

User avatar
Rynn
International Grain Cartel
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Over There

Re: Fitness Programs

Post by Rynn » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:49 pm

EllaMay wrote: Hmm a few sessions with me and I'll have u in tip top shape ...I do not work out at all some hiking but it's been about six months and I still have a rockin bod ....totally flat belly ...no nasty cellulite or stretch marks just straight sexy all over ...
I have done a round or 3 of insanity now, never seem to make it past the first 30days when doing it the 6 days a week as scheduled .. it just wears me down, but .. this every other day thought, and mixing in EllaMay into the routine, on off insanity days sounds Rewarding and incentivising .. maybe I can stick with that for a full cycle, but either way I'm sure to tone up and get all the cardio I might need in short order. :P

User avatar
target
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Location: Iowa

Post by target » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:59 am

Bros do you even lift?

User avatar
IndyGuy69
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer

I vote for Insanity

Post by IndyGuy69 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:27 pm

69 wrote:A good friend comes over and works out to insanity.She has nice six pack abs,and a great tone to her body!
I get my exercise from watching her! :twisted:
Not that I've tried it but a young lady I met does it daily and she is 30 and has one of the tightest bodies I've ever seen. It is quite amazing when you can feel her stomach muscles convulse while pounding her in K9.

User avatar
farmer1
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Your Role: Curious Seeker

Post by farmer1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:09 pm

I bought insanity and tried it for a month, I noticed improvement, but even after the month I wasn't really keeping up with the video, certainly not enough to move to phase 2.

I was so miserable that I was doing the workout in my garage, and I'd leave the garage door open at night hoping someone would come steal it and even if they took the TV I'd consider it a fair trade. One of the biggest fights I ever had with my gf (who was doing the workouts too) told me to "dig deeper" one day as I was dragging my sorry ass out to the garage, she naturally got a finger in response, and there you go.

It was too hard on my joints, I did get good results, but I've found I get equal if not better results from twice daily elliptical workouts with none of the pain, none of the desire to murder Shaun T., and my relationship is much stronger for it, plus I've found elliptical time is about the only chance I have to gain ground on my DVR, so it all works out.

Post Reply

Return to “Health and Fitness”