I think I need an intervention...

cedarlooman
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer

I think I need an intervention...

Post by cedarlooman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:54 am

I don't know how the hell it happened, but I am pretty sure I went and became one of those *gasp* runners. I am not sure when it happened, but I can tell you I have never felt better.

Started with C25K (which I recommend to everyone I know who is considering trying to start some cardio), ran a 5k or two to get the experience, then started doing the mud run and obstacle challenges. Now I am running in 1 or 2 races a month, working out 4 days a week, and discovering I like it. :) And then horror of horrors, I hopped out and registered for a new challenge for this weekend:

My first half-marathon. :D

I was going to try to do this in the fall, but there was one close and cheap, so even though I haven't trained up for that distance, I am giving it a go.

So now you know why I haven't been on much lately...although I probably haven't been missed nearly as much as others. :p
Adorably Deplorable
The best things in life are free!
Slut, Kinkster, Hedonist, Hobbiest (Retired)

vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member

Post by vorlon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 am

You were gone? :lol: :wink:
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

friskyrick
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by friskyrick » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:43 am

I thought marathon training was only 10 or 15K? So maybe your 5K training for half is not far off the mark?

Welcome back Professor :D

cedarlooman
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo

Post by cedarlooman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:08 pm

I did it, and beat my goal time (barely), but the lack of prep definitely showed when I hit mile 12 and was out of gas. I really should have gotten some 10+ milers in so I could tell what a good pace would be and when I started running low on energy. :)

Thanks, frisky...hope to be on here a little bit more often than I have been. Life just gets in the way sometimes.

LOL
Adorably Deplorable
The best things in life are free!
Slut, Kinkster, Hedonist, Hobbiest (Retired)

Reefer
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Your City: Bloomington

Post by Reefer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:12 pm

cedarlooman wrote:I did it, and beat my goal time (barely), but the lack of prep definitely showed when I hit mile 12 and was out of gas. I really should have gotten some 10+ milers in so I could tell what a good pace would be and when I started running low on energy. :)

Thanks, frisky...hope to be on here a little bit more often than I have been. Life just gets in the way sometimes.

LOL
Way to go! 🏃👏👍
Reefers love to propagate!

SidneyStarr

Post by SidneyStarr » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:49 pm

That is great!!! I really want to run in a marathon. I love working out. I have gone though stages of being lazy, and then I'm a workout machine. I am now at the stage of wanting to be healthy. MORE healthy really, because I pretty much eat well and I don't smoke. I take vitamins.

In Philly PA I had just started Bikram Yoga and I loved it. I had only taken two classes, but loved it. I have found a few places in Louisville KY that offer it, as well as kickboxing. I like to wake up and work out first thing in the morning. It makes me feel better. With those two classes and a regular gym to go too, I will be good to go.

I have always enjoyed running but I totally am not ready to compete a marathon. That is a goal I will have completed one day. I always loved the idea of running marathons all over the world. ;-)

IAfsher
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo

Post by IAfsher » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:35 am

A guy I once know said this."If you ever see me running down the road either pick me up or run over what ever is chasing me" I share his feelings. :D
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked

SidneyStarr

Post by SidneyStarr » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:34 am

That is a funny saying! Haha. I'll have to use that sometime. Love the avatar.

Track

Post by Track » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:31 am

Marathoner?

Must have more time and energy than you had previously.
;-)

IAfsher
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo

Post by IAfsher » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:33 pm

SidneyStarr wrote:That is great!!! I really want to run in a marathon. I love working out. I have gone though stages of being lazy, and then I'm a workout machine. I am now at the stage of wanting to be healthy. MORE healthy really, because I pretty much eat well and I don't smoke. I take vitamins.

In Philly PA I had just started Bikram Yoga and I loved it. I had only taken two classes, but loved it. I have found a few places in Louisville KY that offer it, as well as kickboxing. I like to wake up and work out first thing in the morning. It makes me feel better. With those two classes and a regular gym to go too, I will be good to go.

I have always enjoyed running but I totally am not ready to compete a marathon. That is a goal I will have completed one day. I always loved the idea of running marathons all over the world. ;-)
I just took a look at your webpage and the pics there. My dear, if you take up running you gonna need to invest in a very good sports bra. :D

Nice pics!!!
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked

margueritedivine
Chemical Dealer

Post by margueritedivine » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Oh God I LOVE Bikram yoga! I've been thinking about getting back into it lately, but with the craziness of finals I haven't had time! I might have to check out some studios here in town...

SidneyStarr wrote:That is great!!! I really want to run in a marathon. I love working out. I have gone though stages of being lazy, and then I'm a workout machine. I am now at the stage of wanting to be healthy. MORE healthy really, because I pretty much eat well and I don't smoke. I take vitamins.

FlamingPole
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo

Post by FlamingPole » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 pm

margueritedivine wrote:Oh God I LOVE Bikram yoga! I've been thinking about getting back into it lately, but with the craziness of finals I haven't had time! I might have to check out some studios here in town...

Bikram Yoga? Hello Google. "Original Hot Yoga".

Hot Yoga? As if yoga isn't hot enough with women in really tight yoga pants stretching into poses that shouldn't been seen by young children or people with heart conditions. But if they're calling this yoga "Hot", the pics of female practitioners should be great.

Wait. A "hot yoga" is done in a room of 105F and around 40-45% humidity?

What a downer.

margueritedivine
Chemical Dealer

Post by margueritedivine » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Considering I do it in yoga shorts (tight little hot pant-esque things) and a sports bra, there is really very little to not love about it. ;)
The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -Plutarch

QCARachel
International Grain Cartel

Post by QCARachel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:05 am

I did the Quad City Marathon in 2008. I went to the doc about a month before and he told me my right knee had arthritis in it. I cried. I didn't think I was that old. I've been a runner my whole life. And my friends have always told me I was going to ruin my body doing it. I just assumed they were jealous or feeling guilty because they didn't run. Or they didn't understand how running makes you feel. I'm not going to lie, I was depressed after I got that diagnosis. Doc did make me feel a little better when he explained the arthritis wasn't from old age, but from wear and tear from running since childhood. He gave me a brace and some pills and sent me on my way. I partied all night in the district the night before the marathon, missed the shuttle from the hotel to the race, and showed up late. But I ran that *make screaming monkey noises*, the whole thing. Running is spiritual and very addictive. But you won't understand the words. You have to feel it in your lungs and heart and soul to really understand!

Hotrod57
International Grain Cartel

Post by Hotrod57 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:50 am

I used to run a lot when I was younger. That and downhill skiing ruined my knees. Turned to cycling in my 30's and never looked back. Feel the same kind of addition and spirituality that you describe.
Last edited by Hotrod57 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not totally useless. I can be used as a bad example.

algood

Post by algood » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:50 pm

BTDT, get the same high now riding my motorcycle. Fortunately, the only marathons I've been involved in lately have spinner type laps :P

GingerLynn
Grain Dealer

Post by GingerLynn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:52 pm

So funny I just paid attention to this thread now. I committed to my first mini marathon for this coming spring and 2 weeks later the Dirty Girl Mud Run in Indy. Its something I have always wanted to do since I was a young girl and after coming a lift threatening illness this past year I decided that absolutely nothing was going to stop me in whatever I want to do going forward. Not many people get second chances at anything, let alone life and Im going to live mine to the fullest since being given mine.

I starting a running training program in early December and I have to say, I have never felt more adrenaline laced energy for the rest of the day from something that should take so much out of you. Spiritual? yeah I could see that, but Im truly loving all the ways its enhancing me....mentally as well as physically.
xoxoxo
GingerLynn
"Indy's" Sexiest Hourglass figured MILF

http://indygingerlynn.companion-site.com/

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Post by Publisher » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:16 pm

GingerLynn wrote:So funny I just paid attention to this thread now. I committed to my first mini marathon for this coming spring and 2 weeks later the Dirty Girl Mud Run in Indy. Its something I have always wanted to do since I was a young girl and after coming a lift threatening illness this past year I decided that absolutely nothing was going to stop me in whatever I want to do going forward. Not many people get second chances at anything, let alone life and Im going to live mine to the fullest since being given mine.

I starting a running training program in early December and I have to say, I have never felt more adrenaline laced energy for the rest of the day from something that should take so much out of you. Spiritual? yeah I could see that, but Im truly loving all the ways its enhancing me....mentally as well as physically.
Welcome back
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Return to “Health and Fitness”