Cold and flu season

RoloTomasi
Chemical Dealer
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer

Cold and flu season

Post by RoloTomasi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:22 pm

How much of a problem is the annual cold and flu cruddy crappy feeling season for the ladies. I would think there would be an increase in cancelations from both sides this time of year. Any special precautions taken? Have you ever sent someone away because of obvious symptoms?
I am a Grain dealer.....Really

kennred55
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Your City: Indiana

Re: Cold and flu season

Post by kennred55 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:54 am

RoloTomasi wrote:How much of a problem is the annual cold and flu cruddy crappy feeling season for the ladies. I would think there would be an increase in cancelations from both sides this time of year. Any special precautions taken? Have you ever sent someone away because of obvious symptoms?
Got my Flu shot so that should be taken care of, and say should be?
I will cancel if I have a cold, hope she would and in that case understand?
I don't want to set the world on fire. I just want to keep my nuts warm.

RoloTomasi
Chemical Dealer

common sense

Post by RoloTomasi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:19 am

Really kind of a weak attempt at thread starting...as usual, common sense and open honest communication are the guidelines to follow in these situations.
I am a Grain dealer.....Really

Rudbeckia_triloba
International Grain Cartel
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion
Your City: Indianapolis IN

Post by Rudbeckia_triloba » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:30 am

Eh...for some reason cold and flu season doesn't really get to me more now than it used to. I think it might be because my immune system has gotten used to tackling a lot of different germs over the rest of the year, so this isn't really as big a deal as it maybe should be.

I make a point to try and eat healthy, stay hydrated and avoid scurvy...but mostly my avoidance technique just comes down to not kissing folks who seem under the weather. *laughs*

I try not to cancel, but I believe both parties should prioritize health over the rest of it - if they (or I) have the sniffles or whatever else I'd much rather lose out on the appointment than pick up a bug that'll knock me on my arse for a week or two.

My main fear this time of year are my immunocomprimised clients...I'm terrified of accidentally carrying some little bug over to them that'll be a serious issue, so I get super vigilant about hand washing around them and tend to reschedule if I'm even a little under the weather.

...and I still need to go get my damn flu shot.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. -T. Pratchett

YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Post by YAG » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:35 am

If I have the sniffles or a cough, I apologize and say I'm potentially infectious, and always cancel if I have a fever.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Eastern south central Illinois.

Post by wallaby » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:37 am

College environments are as big of a petri dish for incubation of germs as preschools.

I hate flu shots. Each time I get one, they lay me low for a couple of days. And if you can't tell the difference between having the flu and the inert virii you are inject with, does it really matter when they tell you that yo can't get the flu from a shot?

FFS - I still feel like crap. I still feel like I have the flu. Does it matter if it isn't really the flu?

I am OK with getting a cold. I'll hit the chicken soup (I pretty much always have fresh chicken stock on hand anyway), I'll dose up on Nyquil and OJ, and bounce back fast.

BUT, I have cancelled appointments because I have been sick. Came back from an overseas trip and was sick as a dog. And had to cancel.

When this is a persons livelihood, I don't want to give them something that will deprive them of income for "x" days. I hope they realise that missing my donation is minor compared to the appointments they'll need to cancel/decline while they recover.
The Real Wallaby - Accept No Imitations
“Cook, Travel, Eat, Read, repeat.” - Alton Brown

#PokerKnowsTheTruth...Maybe

friskyrick
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by friskyrick » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:03 am

Wallaby wrote:College environments are as big of a petri dish for incubation of germs as preschools.

I hate flu shots. Each time I get one, they lay me low for a couple of days. And if you can't tell the difference between having the flu and the inert virii you are inject with, does it really matter when they tell you that yo can't get the flu from a shot?

FFS - I still feel like crap. I still feel like I have the flu. Does it matter if it isn't really the flu?

I am OK with getting a cold. I'll hit the chicken soup (I pretty much always have fresh chicken stock on hand anyway), I'll dose up on Nyquil and OJ, and bounce back fast.

BUT, I have cancelled appointments because I have been sick. Came back from an overseas trip and was sick as a dog. And had to cancel.

When this is a persons livelihood, I don't want to give them something that will deprive them of income for "x" days. I hope they realise that missing my donation is minor compared to the appointments they'll need to cancel/decline while they recover.
I am just slow to adjust to rapid large temperature changes, so I know when I may be contagious or not.

Not a big believer in the flu shot either. Just a prediction of one strain they believe is most likely that year.

Imo it is the belief in the shot that works, maybe not the actual shot. Shooting up a perfectly healthy body that then has to fight a disease that is not there. A waste of energy.

Or maybe I have been through every strain there is by the time I was 30. Ah the mysteries of life :D

Reefer
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Your City: Bloomington

Post by Reefer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:36 am

friskyrick wrote:
Wallaby wrote:College environments are as big of a petri dish for incubation of germs as preschools.

I am just slow to adjust to rapid large temperature changes, so I know when I may be contagious or not.

Not a big believer in the flu shot either. Just a prediction of one strain they believe is most likely that year.

Imo it is the belief in the shot that works, maybe not the actual shot. Shooting up a perfectly healthy body that then has to fight a disease that is not there. A waste of energy.

Or maybe I have been through every strain there is by the time I was 30. Ah the mysteries of life :D

Probably had a flu shot every year since I was 18, of course didn't have a choice while in the military. Missed one year about 5 years ago and got the damn flu, sick as hell for over a week. So with that IMHO I believe they do work.
Reefers love to propagate!

sweetcody

Post by sweetcody » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:43 pm

If an appointment MUST be cancelled by myself or my client, I'd prefer that 100 times over to picking up and sharing a bug. Its a little disappointing at the time. But Not nearly as disappointing as the vile symptoms of cold/flu!

Staying hydrated, taking vitamins, washing hands/showering/cleaning much more, (sometimes kissing less) are all important.
Otherwise, I don't care if someone gets a flu shot or not. That's up to them. People can still get a different strain of flu though they had the shot.
So...
Wash your hands.
Don't pick your nose.
AND Please cancel an appointment with me if you think you are sick or are getting sick! Thanks :)
“Just because you're naked doesn't mean you're sexy. Just because you're cynical doesn't mean you're cool.”

joeman

Post by joeman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Early this week I had to decline an invitation to meeting a lady who I've seen a couple times already because i was on the tail end of a sinus cold with uncontrollable mucus. Her answer was....don't worry about it, I'm not scared of a cold.

I am now concerned about seeing her again due to lack of caution in that area.

scarletknight
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by scarletknight » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:27 pm

I usually try to get a flu shot (and did this year already). I'm fortunate in that I haven't had a bad response to one yet. Nothing more than a sore arm for a couple of days.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~Calvin & Hobbes

curiouscat

Post by curiouscat » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:33 pm

The damned shot gives me a bad case of the hives. 3 years straight . Allergist said it couldn't be the shot. Last year I got one and viola 2 days later here we go. I called the doctor, told them I am on the way, NOW, and don't even think of giving me one EVER again. They finally agreed. :x

vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member

Post by vorlon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:50 pm

Rudbeckia_triloba wrote:Eh...for some reason cold and flu season doesn't really get to me more now than it used to. I think it might be because my immune system has gotten used to tackling a lot of different germs over the rest of the year, so this isn't really as big a deal as it maybe should be.

I make a point to try and eat healthy, stay hydrated and avoid scurvy...but mostly my avoidance technique just comes down to not kissing folks who seem under the weather. *laughs*

I try not to cancel, but I believe both parties should prioritize health over the rest of it - if they (or I) have the sniffles or whatever else I'd much rather lose out on the appointment than pick up a bug that'll knock me on my arse for a week or two.

My main fear this time of year are my immunocomprimised clients...I'm terrified of accidentally carrying some little bug over to them that'll be a serious issue, so I get super vigilant about hand washing around them and tend to reschedule if I'm even a little under the weather.

...and I still need to go get my damn flu shot.
I'm glad to hear you try to avoid scurvy. So many people don't pay any attention to that! :lol:

As for me, I got my flu shot and if I am not feeling well I reschedule (which I had to do twice in a row at the beginning of October :( ) although it has happened where the lady said she'd take her chances and trust her immune system.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

sweetcody

Post by sweetcody » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:58 pm

curiouscat wrote:The damned shot gives me a bad case of the hives. 3 years straight . Allergist said it couldn't be the shot. Last year I got one and viola 2 days later here we go. I called the doctor, told them I am on the way, NOW, and don't even think of giving me one EVER again. They finally agreed. :x
Different people respond differently to anything, including medications, which is what vaccines are. They're great for most people but not for everyone, just like anything else. And that's ok. It is important to remember that even if you do choose to get a flu shot, that proper sanitation and hygiene precautions should still be applied.

It seems ironic that during the time of year when it is most gratifying to pick your nose, it is the worst time to do it! Don't do it!
“Just because you're naked doesn't mean you're sexy. Just because you're cynical doesn't mean you're cool.”

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by wallaby » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:42 am

sweetcody wrote:
curiouscat wrote:The damned shot gives me a bad case of the hives. 3 years straight . Allergist said it couldn't be the shot. Last year I got one and viola 2 days later here we go. I called the doctor, told them I am on the way, NOW, and don't even think of giving me one EVER again. They finally agreed. :x
Different people respond differently to anything, including medications, which is what vaccines are. They're great for most people but not for everyone, just like anything else. And that's ok. It is important to remember that even if you do choose to get a flu shot, that proper sanitation and hygiene precautions should still be applied.

It seems ironic that during the time of year when it is most gratifying to pick your nose, it is the worst time to do it! Don't do it!
there is a flip side to that argument. By continually sanitising, we are not exposing ourselves to pathogens, and our body doesn't build its defenses naturally.

Triclosan, the primary ingredient in hand sanitizer is particularly nasty. And apparently we all wash our hands wrong using hot water ... Which dries the skin, causes cracks, and gives a pathway for infection.

We are all doomed :(

vorlon

Post by vorlon » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Wallaby wrote:
sweetcody wrote:

there is a flip side to that argument. By continually sanitising, we are not exposing ourselves to pathogens, and our body doesn't build its defenses naturally.

Triclosan, the primary ingredient in hand sanitizer is particularly nasty. And apparently we all wash our hands wrong using hot water ... Which dries the skin, causes cracks, and gives a pathway for infection.

We are all doomed :(
I haven't see any recommendation from doctor's group or any of the health institutes that recommend less hand washing and the like. They do recommend that plain soap and water is best; all the anti-bacterial products that are out there don't really help and do contribute to anti-bacterial resistance.

Tinman
Site Admin

Post by Tinman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:26 pm

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by wallaby » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Not less hand washing - just a change in how you do it. The scalding water and soap we grew up with is not so good. Dries out the hands. Causes cracks, and an entry point to the body. Lukewarm water and soap. and not antibacterial soap either.

vorlon

Post by vorlon » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:31 pm

Wallaby wrote:Not less hand washing - just a change in how you do it. The scalding water and soap we grew up with is not so good. Dries out the hands. Causes cracks, and an entry point to the body. Lukewarm water and soap. and not antibacterial soap either.
Scalding water? Never got that treatment when I was growing up. Perhaps a cultural difference.

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by wallaby » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:36 pm

vorlon wrote:
Wallaby wrote:Not less hand washing - just a change in how you do it. The scalding water and soap we grew up with is not so good. Dries out the hands. Causes cracks, and an entry point to the body. Lukewarm water and soap. and not antibacterial soap either.
Scalding water? Never got that treatment when I was growing up. Perhaps a cultural difference.
i said scalding to make a point. Just very hot water. The medical focused company I worked for for awhile disabled the hot water in the restrooms at the recommendation of the medical group who owned the company.

We also had compulsory flu shots, and annual Tb tests ... Like every other employee in the company ... Despite the fact we didn't work in the same location as patients. And this was in the USA, not down under. Hated that company.

DMLawPro
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Your Role: Law Enforcement
Your City: West of The Nile

Post by DMLawPro » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:22 pm

Cold and Flu season is coming upon us
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

Poker69

Post by Poker69 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Thanks for the review.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

scarletknight
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by scarletknight » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:49 pm

Scheduled for my flu shot tomorrow.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~Calvin & Hobbes

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Post by Publisher » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:24 am

My flu shot is next week.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

funnyguy8558
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Your City: Central Illinois corn fields

Post by funnyguy8558 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:49 am

Every time I have taken the flu shots, I've gotten sicker than a dog a couple of weeks afterwards. Didnt get one last year and didnt get sick.
polite, respectful gentleman looking for fun, NO problems NO trouble

Rtp001
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by Rtp001 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:13 am

Got the flu shot last week and the first of 2 shingles shots 4 weeks ago no after effects. For those of you who haven’t had the shingles shots you may want to look into getting them, it can be a very horrible experience to get the shingles!

hegone17
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Your City: QCA

Post by hegone17 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Did my flu shot 10 days ago no after effects but my shoulder sure was sore for 2 days

Olebuckaroo
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Central Illinois

Post by Olebuckaroo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:40 pm

The shingles shot is really something you should consider as I know a friend who has it on her eye and it won’t go away and it’s been years. The pain has been excruciating for her

Fishstick
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by Fishstick » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:48 pm

If you are age 50 and older for the shingles vaccine.

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:13 pm

This is a cold and flu thread. If you need to talk about shingles then start a new thread.

Thanks
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

Fishstick
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by Fishstick » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:41 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:13 pm
This is a cold and flu thread. If you need to talk about shingles then start a new thread.

Thanks
Report the posts that you don't approve of and see if the mods delete . Enjoy your reporting. Did you get a flu vaccine for 2019?

hegone17
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Your City: QCA

Post by hegone17 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Flu shot didn’t work for me this year the past 3 worked great. 4 ugly days in but hopefully getting better

ferox
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo

Re:

Post by ferox » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:57 pm

No nose picking? That will leave a lot of guys. :smile2:
sweetcody wrote:
Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:43 pm
If an appointment MUST be cancelled by myself or my client, I'd prefer that 100 times over to picking up and sharing a bug. Its a little disappointing at the time. But Not nearly as disappointing as the vile symptoms of cold/flu!

Staying hydrated, taking vitamins, washing hands/showering/cleaning much more, (sometimes kissing less) are all important.
Otherwise, I don't care if someone gets a flu shot or not. That's up to them. People can still get a different strain of flu though they had the shot.
So...
Wash your hands.
Don't pick your nose.
AND Please cancel an appointment with me if you think you are sick or are getting sick! Thanks :)

DMLawPro

Re: Re:

Post by DMLawPro » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:04 pm

ferox wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:57 pm
Nose picking contest at the next GBN gathering... Brilliant!

funnyguy8558
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Your City: Central Illinois corn fields

Re: Re:

Post by funnyguy8558 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:11 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:04 pm
ferox wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:57 pm
Nose picking contest at the next GBN gathering... Brilliant!
Pick a winner....
polite, respectful gentleman looking for fun, NO problems NO trouble

Return to “Health and Fitness”