Jocelyn
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion
Your City: CR, DSM

Fitness trackers

Post by Jocelyn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:28 am

I'm looking to buy some sort of a fitness tracker (fitbit, etc) and was curious on everyones opinions and experiences with them. I prefer one with a heart rate monitor as obviously sometimes I'm getting my cardio on without taking steps for my current app to count. I also would like it to be able to sync to my android phone. I prefer something small but looks like those are few and far between so that part is more of a bonus. Thanks in advance for input!!
I'm not as naughty as you think....I'm way worse

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Eastern south central Illinois.

Post by wallaby » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:49 am

I have used the fitbit one and charge in the past.

Actually, I have used 2 of the fitbit one - 1 stopped charging, and fitbit sent me a replacement. The second went through a washing machine - sometimes thing are so small they get forgotten in a pocket.

I then moved onto the wristband style fitbit force (no longer available - some people reacted to the rubber used in the band so it was removed from sale and replaced with the fitbit charge). I *loved* this model. It was accurate, but the "buckle" mechanism was a pain in the ass. And that was its downfall - the band came undone when I took a spray jacket off in Stockholm ... and I lost it.

My wife has also used the fitbit one, but recently moved to the charge.

As far as fitness trackers go they are great, BUT they don't sync directly with a phone. They sync to a computer - Windows or OS X via a small USB dongle. Its wireless for syncing. Oddly, when you charge via a USB cable it DOESNT also sync. Thats odd.

BUT once synced, the stats and results you can get from the fitbit dashboard online are pretty good. This is visible from iOS and Android based phones via either a web interface or a dedicated app.

Now, after losing the fitbit force in Stockholm, I deduced to wait until the Apple Watch came out. Extremely happy I did. The functionality is far better than the fitbits - but it is also more expensive.

It does sync directly with an iPhone - and not an Android phone - but it lets you see things like this.

That wasn't a workout per se, but it did log a more *ahem* "intimate" workout I had. With high blood pressure, I need to make sure I am not going to blow more than my load when having a date, so I wear the watch and know when I need to slow down.

The BP monitor matches the accuracy of the exercise gear I use when I work out.

Steps and distance on the fitbits and apple watch are much the same in terms of accuracy.

I also have a digital bathroom scale (fitbit aria) that syncs up with everything as well so I am tracking weight loss and body fat.

I know you have an Android, and unless you have an iPhone I wouldn't recommend the Apple Watch since it really is an accessory and not a stand alone item.

Having said that, something like the Samsung Gear or Moto X watches might also work for you. I love what the aWatch does, and - while I have no direct experience with the Android equivalents - suspect that you might enjoy the smart watch experience more than just using a fitness tracker.
The Real Wallaby - Accept No Imitations
“Cook, Travel, Eat, Read, repeat.” - Alton Brown

#PokerKnowsTheTruth...Maybe

charliebgood

Post by charliebgood » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:15 pm

I had one of those units where you can track your number of steps and it uploads your data online where you compete with others in a group. Personally, it drove me friggin' crazy!! I would think about the damn thing every waking hour of the day and night...obsessed with getting in tens of thousands of steps a day. I couldn't let myself relax and sit still for a couple of weeks.

Finally, one night is was sitting trying to watch one of my favorite TV shows and couldn't concentrate because I kept thinking about that damn little step counter on my wrist. So out of pure impulse I got up, took it off, laid it on the counter, took out a hammer, and smashed the little bugger.

God that felt good!! :)

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by wallaby » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:33 pm

charliebgood wrote:I had one of those units where you can track your number of steps and it uploads your data online where you compete with others in a group. Personally, it drove me friggin' crazy!! I would think about the damn thing every waking hour of the day and night...obsessed with getting in tens of thousands of steps a day. I couldn't let myself relax and sit still for a couple of weeks.
I'd had a big day walking in Berlin. And - for the first time ever - almost reached 20000 steps. Despite the fact it was almost midnight, I extended my walk to the hotel by a couple of blocks (it was an interesting walk since I was on an "unofficial" red light district street) and made it back to my room by midnight with over 20K steps.

Yes. It becomes addictive. It is the whole gasification that keeps people motivated (well, keeps me motivated at least).

I will add that the fitbit one doesnt have BP monitoring since it clips to a belt, pocket, or - as many women do - a bra. The fitbit force didnt either. The fitbit Charge HR (not the standard charge) does have a heart rate monitor.

FWIW - I am lucky if I get 10000 steps in in a day, but I am getting an hour in at the gym (cardio or training) 4-5 days a week.

Jocelyn
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by Jocelyn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:11 pm

Yes my steps have been on the low side - usually 3-4K (but I also obviously have to be carrying my phone at all times for it to count) so I'm curious on how many calories I'm burning both at the gym and when I'm doing.. well what I do lol. I get pretty scientific when I go on my health kicks- food diary and the whole nine yards. My leaving my regular job has definitely decreased my normal activity so I gotta make what I do get done count!! Im thinking the heart rate thing would be my most accurate bet.

charliebgood

Post by charliebgood » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:31 pm

Jocelyn wrote:Yes my steps have been on the low side - usually 3-4K (but I also obviously have to be carrying my phone at all times for it to count) so I'm curious on how many calories I'm burning both at the gym and when I'm doing.. well what I do lol. I get pretty scientific when I go on my health kicks- food diary and the whole nine yards. My leaving my regular job has definitely decreased my normal activity so I gotta make what I do get done count!! Im thinking the heart rate thing would be my most accurate bet.
Sounds like someone needs to make you sweat! I have my next mission. ;)

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by wallaby » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Jocelyn wrote:Yes my steps have been on the low side - usually 3-4K (but I also obviously have to be carrying my phone at all times for it to count) so I'm curious on how many calories I'm burning both at the gym and when I'm doing.. well what I do lol. I get pretty scientific when I go on my health kicks- food diary and the whole nine yards. My leaving my regular job has definitely decreased my normal activity so I gotta make what I do get done count!! Im thinking the heart rate thing would be my most accurate bet.
For what its worth, my "echo system of tech" for weight loss and exercise is:

Tracker - Apple Watch. I'd definitely go with a smart watch over a regular tracker.
Phone - Apple iPhone 6.
... Apps: Loseit (diet/calorie tracker that also pulls in exercise and weight from my scales), Apple Health (tracks BP, weight, distance, steps, stairs, glucose - it also tracks "feminine health" if thats of interest), LFConnect (links to Life Fitness cardio gear to record BPM, distance, calories, etc).
Web - Loseit.com, Fitbit.com (links my scales to my other accounts).

You need to find tech that fits your lifestyle. The Apple echo system works for me because it is designed to work together. At the end of the day they are just tools. Motivation is much harder to come by - you need to dig deep for that one.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Post by Publisher » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:00 pm

I recommend more sex.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

mtwmtw
Chemical Dealer

Post by mtwmtw » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Publisher wrote:I recommend more sex.
+1
She likes to pull my hair when I make her grind her teeth

Mr. Chop
International Grain Cartel

Post by Mr. Chop » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Since my companion has been having regular sex with me she has dropped 10 lbs. I should be a sex personal trainer.
“Where have they gone?" "Wherever magicians used to go. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain.”

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by wallaby » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Mr. Chop wrote:
Since my companion has been having regular sex with me she has dropped 10 lbs. I should be a sex personal trainer.
I drop a couple of extra pounds each week when I've visited a lady. Its a powerful motivator to exercise.

Jocelyn
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by Jocelyn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:02 pm

Come on over then- its cardio time!

finman56
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo

Post by finman56 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:56 pm

I think I need Jocelyn as my, um personal trainer. To help with that cardio thing I am missing out in my daily routine.
"Don't ask me no questions and I won't tell you no lies "
"Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in"

Jocelyn
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by Jocelyn » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:34 am

finman56 wrote:I think I need Jocelyn as my, um personal trainer. To help with that cardio thing I am missing out in my daily routine.

I can be fairly motivating- life coach style ;)

vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member

Post by vorlon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:35 pm

mtwmtw wrote:
+1
+2
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

SinfulDream
International Grain Cartel

Post by SinfulDream » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:48 am

I just got the Fitbit Blaze, which has the heart rate and all that stuff. I average about 15k steps a day (shhhhh don't ask LOL) but I feel it's the best one for me, and it comes in colors and acts like a watch.

Hope it helps!!
Spitters are for Quitters....

Indianapolis 2013 Contractor of the Year

Date-check ID: SA6241F
P411 ID: P96488
TER ID: 202578

DMLawPro
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Your Role: Law Enforcement
Your City: West of The Nile

Re: Fitness trackers

Post by DMLawPro » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:19 pm

Jocelyn wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:28 am
I'm looking to buy some sort of a fitness tracker (fitbit, etc) and was curious on everyones opinions and experiences with them. I prefer one with a heart rate monitor as obviously sometimes I'm getting my cardio on without taking steps for my current app to count. I also would like it to be able to sync to my android phone. I prefer something small but looks like those are few and far between so that part is more of a bonus. Thanks in advance for input!!
Did you ever find one?
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

ShyDaniel
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Quad Cities

Post by ShyDaniel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Anyone try any new fitness trackers? I'm interested in Whoop (https://www.whoop.com/), $180 price tag but you wear it like a wrist watch. It tracks heart rate, calories, recovery, sleep, so on and so on.

The_Carpenter
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Your City: The Shop in KC, with deliveries to here and there

Post by The_Carpenter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:01 pm

ShyDaniel wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:07 pm
Anyone try any new fitness trackers? I'm interested in Whoop (https://www.whoop.com/), $180 price tag but you wear it like a wrist watch. It tracks heart rate, calories, recovery, sleep, so on and so on.
One of the "retired" gals on my dance card has exactly that. I had fun trying to get her old one to light up, and am having even more fun getting her new one to light up.
Similar to Jocelyn's comments above, steps, cardio, sleep time, etc. Has several types of noises that trigger, and connects to handheld or pc, etc. It's also a morning alarm clock. We have the cardio set to just light up as we're already awake and don't need the beeps.
Custom woodcraft and specialty transport

ShyDaniel
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Quad Cities

Post by ShyDaniel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:19 pm

I finally got a Whoop. The sleep tracking and heartrate monitoring is great, but no way the calories burned is accurate. I've burned 2000 calories by 2:00pm? I only worked out for a little over an hour.

Return to “Health and Fitness”