Help The Search for Vaccine

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 21305
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by Publisher » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:50 pm

https://foldingathome.org/
Team number 260907
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

User avatar
Skookum
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:16 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central IL

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by Skookum » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Publisher wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:50 pm
https://foldingathome.org/
Team number 260907
I'm in!

User avatar
YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Posts: 22528
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near the shampooed banana
Location: Close To An Edge
Contact:

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YAG » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:43 pm

I had this running for over 10 years in a row at one point. My puter was used to find, for example, a new anti-malaria drug, and a series of anti-bodies to be used in cancer targeting.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:22 pm

Skookum wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:08 pm
Publisher wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:50 pm
https://foldingathome.org/
Team number 260907
I'm in!
Me too! :-).

User avatar
DMLawPro
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Posts: 15489
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Law Enforcement
Your City: West of The Nile

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by DMLawPro » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:21 pm

I know, here comes DM with more BS.

So, I ask... If they do research which needs multiple calculations and they want people to "hook up" to them so they can use your unused computer power why can't they just get a hold of Bill Gates or Apple and ask for a bigger ...stronger...power.....computer?

Oh well, carry on.
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

User avatar
Skookum
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:16 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central IL

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by Skookum » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:31 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:21 pm
I know, here comes DM with more BS.

So, I ask... If they do research which needs multiple calculations and they want people to "hook up" to them so they can use your unused computer power why can't they just get a hold of Bill Gates or Apple and ask for a bigger ...stronger...power.....computer?

Oh well, carry on.
Because they can bring a lot of distributed computing horsepower online with a volunteer (free) effort like this versus engineering a new supercomputer, and the processing yield can be greater. Even building another copy of Summit is not a trivial exercise because of the infrastructure required to power and cool it. Plus, this relies on the fact that the average person isn't using 100% of their PC 24 hours a day, so executing calculations in the idle time isn't a big deal. SETI uses a similar strategy, SETI@home, to process signal data.

User avatar
YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Posts: 22528
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near the shampooed banana
Location: Close To An Edge
Contact:

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YAG » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:16 am

DMLawPro wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:21 pm
I know, here comes DM with more BS.

So, I ask... If they do research which needs multiple calculations and they want people to "hook up" to them so they can use your unused computer power why can't they just get a hold of Bill Gates or Apple and ask for a bigger ...stronger...power.....computer?

Oh well, carry on.
By breaking the bits into chunks this way, it doesnt take a petaflop, half a billion dollar, energy-hog, supercomputer. You have sitting on your desk a device that costs under $3,000, can do gigaflop calcutions, plugs in to a wall socket, and exists in the tens of millions.

Yes - slower individually. But in aggregate, nearly as powerful.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

User avatar
DMLawPro
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Posts: 15489
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Law Enforcement
Your City: West of The Nile

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by DMLawPro » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info Skookum and Yag. I learned something new.

Appreciate it
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 21305
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by Publisher » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:17 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:46 pm
Thanks for the info Skookum and Yag. I learned something new.

Appreciate it
This sort of application was quite literally one of the reasons that DARPA funded the nascent Internet. Tying all the pieces together to create such collaborative, multi-device computations took almost 20 years to come to pass.

I hope many of you will participate in this. It literally runs, in the background when your computer is sitting idle, which for most people, is about 50% of the time. "Idle" being no keystrokes, mouse moves, or clicking.

As far as I know, and I couldn't find such, there is NOT such an application available to put on a phone or other mobile device. Yet. With a BILLION of those buggers sitting idle 90% of the time...

SKYNET!
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 21305
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by Publisher » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:27 pm

YAG wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:16 am
DMLawPro wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:21 pm
I know, here comes DM with more BS.

So, I ask... If they do research which needs multiple calculations and they want people to "hook up" to them so they can use your unused computer power why can't they just get a hold of Bill Gates or Apple and ask for a bigger ...stronger...power.....computer?

Oh well, carry on.
By breaking the bits into chunks this way, it doesnt take a petaflop, half a billion dollar, energy-hog, supercomputer. You have sitting on your desk a device that costs under $3,000, can do gigaflop calcutions, plugs in to a wall socket, and exists in the tens of millions.

Yes - slower individually. But in aggregate, nearly as powerful.
Off by a magnitude of 100. It's 1.2 TERAFLOPS being processed.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:02 pm

So I was wrong, about needing a modern GPU to participate in covid-related simulations at folding@home.
There are some projects in that vein that only require a CPU:
https://stats.foldingathome.org/project?p=14628
(only found out because a piece of one of those ended up running on my PC :-p).

I think the work units have to complete, for the work unit to be credited - and I think there's some support for ongoing work to survive a computer being paused and restarted (not just the user actually using his computer for something :-p)).

User avatar
DMLawPro
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Posts: 15489
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Law Enforcement
Your City: West of The Nile

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by DMLawPro » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:01 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:17 pm
DMLawPro wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:46 pm
Thanks for the info Skookum and Yag. I learned something new.

Appreciate it
This sort of application was quite literally one of the reasons that DARPA funded the nascent Internet. Tying all the pieces together to create such collaborative, multi-device computations took almost 20 years to come to pass.

I hope many of you will participate in this. It literally runs, in the background when your computer is sitting idle, which for most people, is about 50% of the time. "Idle" being no keystrokes, mouse moves, or clicking.

As far as I know, and I couldn't find such, there is NOT such an application available to put on a phone or other mobile device. Yet. With a BILLION of those buggers sitting idle 90% of the time...

SKYNET!
In which brings another question... Security of your computer? Privacy? or is it like everything else that tracks your every move...
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:26 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:17 pm
As far as I know, and I couldn't find such, there is NOT such an application available to put on a phone or other mobile device. Yet. With a BILLION of those buggers sitting idle 90% of the time...

SKYNET!
TBH, I wouldn't want to run this on my phone - it would probably drag down battery life to half an hour...
It could work, if it only kicked in when the phone is plugged in - though I wonder what percent of the time phones spend that way.

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 21305
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by Publisher » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:30 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:01 pm
Publisher wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:17 pm
DMLawPro wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:46 pm
Thanks for the info Skookum and Yag. I learned something new.

Appreciate it
This sort of application was quite literally one of the reasons that DARPA funded the nascent Internet. Tying all the pieces together to create such collaborative, multi-device computations took almost 20 years to come to pass.

I hope many of you will participate in this. It literally runs, in the background when your computer is sitting idle, which for most people, is about 50% of the time. "Idle" being no keystrokes, mouse moves, or clicking.

As far as I know, and I couldn't find such, there is NOT such an application available to put on a phone or other mobile device. Yet. With a BILLION of those buggers sitting idle 90% of the time...

SKYNET!
In which brings another question... Security of your computer? Privacy? or is it like everything else that tracks your every move...
Any server you connect to will register the IP number from which you connect.

A VPN generates a false IP address, while enabling the connect.

This only generates traffic periodically, each time your completes a "hit" to send the data, and get the next part to work on.

There are ways to have a VPN change the IP number in a variety of ways.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:07 am

YetAnotherHobbist wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:02 pm
So I was wrong, about needing a modern GPU to participate in covid-related simulations at folding@home.
There are some projects in that vein that only require a CPU:
https://stats.foldingathome.org/project?p=14628
(only found out because a piece of one of those ended up running on my PC :-p).
So I ended up using this as an excuse to upgrade my PC. It now has a low-end, but modern :-) GPU, so it can handle both kinds of simulations.

Let me know if you have trouble setting this up - I might be able to help.

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:41 pm

Team GBN just broke into the top 10% of teams, by amount of work done :-).
(I suspect that curve looks like an exponential decay - so it may be harder and harder to get up from here :-p).

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 21305
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by Publisher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:52 pm

We need more participants.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:05 pm

Team GBN just broke into the top 9% of teams, by amount of work done :-).

User avatar
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Posts: 21305
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough
Location: A Prairie Pirate Ship
Contact:

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by Publisher » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:07 pm

YetAnotherHobbist wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:05 pm
Team GBN just broke into the top 9% of teams, by amount of work done :-).
Awesome.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Mon May 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Team GBN just broke into the top 8% of teams, by amount of work done :ymparty:

User avatar
YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Posts: 22528
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near the shampooed banana
Location: Close To An Edge
Contact:

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YAG » Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm

YetAnotherHobbist wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:22 pm
Team GBN just broke into the top 8% of teams, by amount of work done :ymparty:
Where are we now? I just let it run, I can tell when it finishes a chunk when I hear my drive go active when I'm away from the keyboard.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Fri May 08, 2020 4:57 pm

YAG wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm
YetAnotherHobbist wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:22 pm
Team GBN just broke into the top 8% of teams, by amount of work done :ymparty:
Where are we now? I just let it run, I can tell when it finishes a chunk when I hear my drive go active when I'm away from the keyboard.
Top 7.8% - it will get harder as we go up, i think :-)

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Sat May 30, 2020 5:50 pm

YAG wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm
YetAnotherHobbist wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:22 pm
Team GBN just broke into the top 8% of teams, by amount of work done :ymparty:
Where are we now? I just let it run, I can tell when it finishes a chunk when I hear my drive go active when I'm away from the keyboard.
Top 7% now :-) - I think it helps that more groups keep joining in.

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Madison

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:10 pm

Top 5.7% :-)

User avatar
The_Carpenter
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:00 pm
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: The Shop in KC, with deliveries to here and there
Contact:

Re: Help The Search for Vaccine

Post by The_Carpenter » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:08 pm

Um, ok.

Kansas city has two, yes 2, vaccines, from pharmaceutical companies Inovio and Moderna, that have started human trials locally.
If successful, perhaps on line late fall (Inovio) or end of year (Moderna)

In other news, earlier today, Dr. Fauci diverted from explaining herd immunity to the cnn newsie who (as a pleasant change from the normal inane and stupid questions from newsies) was asking good questions. Btw, most folks are clueless as to what herd immunity actually means. Anyone involved with agriculture health knows exactly what the limitation on that concept is.
Custom woodcraft and specialty transport

Post Reply

Return to “COVID19”