Close Call

Post whatever is on your mind, this board will be totally unmoderated other than for language and for disclosure of personal details. NOT for personal attacks which may be libelous in nature. NOT FOR ADVERTISING
Faromir
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer

Close Call

Post by Faromir » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:06 am

First I apologize if this is a duplicate post, when I hit submit the darn iPad re-booted.

I had an interesting potential disaster happen to me this weekend. I volunteered, or more accurately the SO volunteered and I was tasked with accompanying her, to knock on doors for a candidate in the upcoming election. When we were being given our assigned territories it looked for awhile like we were going to be given a neighborhood where a contractor whom I have seen multiple times has her home and in call. I can tell you I was certainly nervous about what might happen when we knocked on that door! It wasn’t like I could ask for a different territory, what would I say if/when the campaign manager, or worse my SO, asked “Why”? Fortunately I got bailed out when another couple requested that territory since they live nearby.

I am curious what others would have done? My plan was to “play it straight” and if the contractor answered the door give her the usual campaign speech and answer any questions just like I would for any other house. Of course the entire time I would be praying that she either doesn’t recognize me or pretends like she doesn’t, and my heart would be racing the entire time.
Last edited by Faromir on Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Percius917
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: P OR E YA

Re: Close Call

Post by Percius917 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:28 am

I would have been trying to contact that Contractor and give them a heads up. I would also hope that a Contractor would always act as if they have never met me when running into them outside of an arranged meeting. All companions I see know that I am married and hopefully would never act as if they knew me or have ever met me.

vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member

Post by vorlon » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:59 pm

Protocol is that both sides should behave as though they've never met before and she has nothing to gain by blowing your cover. I can certainly understand though why you would be nervous though. If I were in a similar situation, I would have done just what you were planning to do.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Tirant_Loblanc
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by Tirant_Loblanc » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:24 pm

I'm with the OP plan and Vorlon's comments. I've had a couple of encounters in public space when I've met a Contractor while we were both with family. Everybody stuck to the script and it was a non-event. In one case I could see a flash of fear in the Contractor's eyes until she understood that I knew my lines.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Charles Kingsley

champaigndaddy69
Stall Mucker
Stall Mucker
Your City: Champaign IL

Post by champaigndaddy69 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:57 am

When in doubt, I just deny deny deny. If she's a true professional she'll know what to do and act like she's been there before.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Post by Publisher » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:46 pm

Feign a heart attack? Ipecac? Trip down stairs? Pull the fuse on the main panel for the car?

With some of the wackos I've met over the years, theres no way I'd have knocked on that door unless I told her before I got there what was going on, and in some cases, I'd still consider that inadequate.

And if you use a burner, explaining THAT creates more issues.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Return to “Anything Goes”