Spambots Arise!

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Spambots Arise!

Post by Publisher » Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am

Spambots are attempting to overrun numerous platforms right now. GBN's policy of requirjng all users to,successfully register, and post 5 human-approved messages before you see any of them is being successful as far as the regular user is concerned.

We're getting anywhere from 20-30 spambot registration attempts every day. Bot attacks on the server has also risen.

Some platforms arent even trying to control the spambots.

Some commonalities:

Eastern European IP numbers. Verizon and ATT cell phone IP numbers. Dont bitch at me BEFORE youve checked your end if you're using either service and you are blocked here. It wasnt you personally in 99.9% of the cases. (If it is you personally, you also saw a love letter from me when you found out you were blocked, telling you why.)

SCAN YOUR DAMNED PHONE FOR MALWARE.

The next commonality is a Gmail email address. Clearly the bot developers have got Googles number to keep accounts from being created by machine. Numerous other REALLY unique URLs are also showing up. Most are being hosted on Godaddy, from the ones I've taken the time to checkout.

SMS Bots

There is a huge flood of them with 904 and 719 area codes. They send clickbait to get your credit card info. Or they are selling them for potential blackmail. If you're not using a throwaway number, good luck to you.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Near everything but close to nothing

Re: Spambots Arise!

Post by shyboy69 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 pm

So far so good with US Cellular. But my home IP is blocked.

Nice guys finish last? Yes we do! Our women always finish first. Multiple times!
My sparkling personality compensates for not being hung like a horse.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Thu May 21, 2020 9:43 pm

shyboy69 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 pm
So far so good with US Cellular. But my home IP is blocked.
Send me the home IP and I'll look into it.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

scarletknight
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by scarletknight » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:44 pm

I recently switched from Comcast to MetroNet as my ISP. It now appears that I cannot post unless I use Tor. I am getting a message saying Your IP xx.xxx.xxx.xx has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=xx.xxx.xxx.xx
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~Calvin & Hobbes

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Your City: Madison

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 pm

scarletknight wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:44 pm
I recently switched from Comcast to MetroNet as my ISP. It now appears that I cannot post unless I use Tor. I am getting a message saying Your IP xx.xxx.xxx.xx has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=xx.xxx.xxx.xx
Hmm - I thought that blacklist worked on email, not on posts here...
It sounds to me like whoever was assigned the IP address you ended up with at MetroNet before you was blacklisted - and now you end up stuck ;-(.
I think spamhaus has a process that you can follow to request they take your IP address off their blacklist - and I guess you can tell them that you just switched to this IP... But I don't know how quickly they listen.

I am guessing the simplest way to get a different IP address might be to change your router's (or your computer's if directly connected to the ISP) MAC address, if it gives you that option..

OTOH, maybe we should all use TOR to read/post here...

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 pm

scarletknight wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:44 pm
We rely on spamhaus to help keep the bots at bay. Odds are someone at that IP got reported as a spambots.

YAH is right about challenging, and they are swift if you pass their Turing test.
- Edmund Burke

Return to “General Complaints”