Tips, hints, and general venting
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Deposits

Post by Publisher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:38 am

If any of you follow me on Switter, I've become engaged with a troll on the merits, and detractions, of companions requiring deposits.

My perspective: There are very, very, few professions, or professionals, in which I would place my trust in honoring the deposit.

Discuss.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Near everything but close to nothing

Re: Deposits

Post by shyboy69 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:25 am

I'm sure my opinion isn't going to fair well with everyone. But this is my thoughts and opinions.

Deposits seem to be the "in" thing. I totally can understand for someone who is touring. I guess? But what is not being considered by the ladies is, it's a business. Anyone who's in business for themselves knows there are risks involved. I have to buy inventory. I have to put that inventory somewhere. Which is not free. And there are costs incurred in obtaining that inventory. And there's no guarantee I can sell all that inventory.

And how can I put my trust in someone I've never met. Who is to say she really is coming into my area. If she wants 2 bills deposit and get 10 deposits. That's 2 Gs!! She does that in 15 areas......$30k. Then renames and works for a year. Only to do it all over again. If she runs off with my money. Who am I going to call to claim she ripped me off? And what explanation am I going to use?

I believe some locals are going to deposits as well. Which I do not get. I mean....really? She will host you in her home or apartment. Where is the motel and travel over head there? I understand she's a local. But then, that would make me a local as well. We as guys have all had a NCNS. Then what? I may have travel costs or I took a 1/2 day off of work. So I'm out money as well.

I interact with a lady on Twitter who is asking for deposits from new customers. And if life gets into the way. Even if she cancels, she doesn't refund. But rather offers you a credit. I'm sorry, but if she cancels.....I want ALL my money back!! Has listed above. I have costs as well. What if I just can't get back? And how much trust do I have in someone who takes my money and then cancels? Even if her cancelation is legit.
Last edited by shyboy69 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice guys finish last? Yes we do! Our women always finish first. Multiple times!
My sparkling personality compensates for not being hung like a horse.

Yuna
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion

Post by Yuna » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:33 am

I hired a contractor for some house work and paid him upfront for the work for a discount, it's been 3 months and the work is still not done. =( so yes I would agree there are very few people I would pay upfront.

I think I saw a video on using game theory to explain trust dynamics. People who screw over everyone, might reap the benefits early on, but end up starving themselves out in the long run. Those who don't screw over people find others that don't as well and continue to reap the benefits.

I've definitely seen that happen with my clients, I started at back page where the flake rate was so high. But I established that I was a reliable Contractor and weeded the flakes out. Now I've come to rely on references or others vouching for clients.

I think I've heard of a third party service that holds the deposit money? Anyone else hear of it?

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 am

I saw something on trust dynamics, too.

This particular game is heavily weighted against it (my opinion, a mathematician may wander in on this).

My thoughts:
One party has an information advantage - the recipient.
One is nearly completely anonymous - the recipient
The recipient can create an entirely new identity in a matter of hours, or even multiple ones to hold in abeyance, to launch the scam repeatedly.
The long game is for professions like engineers, lawyers, and large scale construction/fabrication projects. Not for small one on one transactions.

A trustee holding the deposit creates an entirely different set of trust issues. In both the trustee, and both parties accurately reporting. If either party claims the other one failed, where does the money go?
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by shyboy69 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:53 am

Yuna wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:33 am
I think I've heard of a third party service that holds the deposit money? Anyone else hear of it?
There are services for that in the Fantasy Football ranks. But that is a totally different animal.

Nice guys finish last? Yes we do! Our women always finish first. Multiple times!

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:57 am

I've disengaged from that "discussion" on Switter with this left for the participant running 3 accounts:
ad_hominem_by_jrigh-d39msf.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 am

shyboy69 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:53 am
Yuna wrote:
There are services for that in the Fantasy Football ranks. But that is a totally different animal.
And third party observation is possible.
- Edmund Burke

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by shyboy69 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:33 am

Publisher wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 am
shyboy69 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:53 am
Yuna wrote:
And third party observation is possible.
I agree. That is why I said fantasy football a different animal. In fantasy football, everyone agrees when the season is over. With nothing to hide. Or fear of someone sharing something with anyone else.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:45 am

Game theory doesn't demand perfect knowledge, but when there is such radical asymmetry involved, trust levels are going to be minimal until another means of trust is developed.

There are several people on here I'd trust to come through with the promised performance - at a low level. There are some I am certain would practically break their back for me (two did, literally).

I will vouch for the performance of maybe a dozen people on here, because MY trust level in them is high. And I don't want to damage that trust, because I value theirs.

The information presented here at GBN is for that purpose - trust development. I ask a pittance from each person using this site to help keep it alive for that information exchange. Some people understand that this is a GROUP EFFORT, not MY effort alone, I just provide the platform, and with help from others, keep it alive.

I discovered that the Troll on Switter was ONCE and BRIEFLY a member here. I had to chuckle to see that after 3 years, she has gotten an even WORSE attitude toward her clients, and men in general. I do trust her behavior to be that of a troll. And she will be banished if she surfaces here again.
- Edmund Burke

ben1080
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: central illinois

Post by ben1080 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:03 pm

I guess I take a negative view on deposits. In the hobby unless I have ask a lady to travel specifically for me I will not pay a deposit to see someone. In the real world any work I get done to my home, accountant or other professional I dont pay a nickel till the job is done. It has lead to several discussions with potential hires for services but most quality people understand.

Eastside70
Donor
Donor
Your City: St. Louis

Post by Eastside70 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Well the big elephant in the room that no one is discussing is WHY companions are asking for deposits. From my gathering it's mainly due to all of the NCNS, last minute cancellations, etc that the companions are experiencing. I'm sure there are some that like to scam clients, but I think that's a pretty small percentage.

I realize emergencies come up and the companion would need to be understandable under those special legitimate circumstances, but clients need to take responsibility for this increase in deposit requests. You make a date, keep it or compensate her accordingly. If all clients just did this, I probably bet that deposit requests would drop significantly.

I have provided several deposits with one very reputable companion without any incident. There's trust between us. Just recently she had to cancel a date due to her getting sick. I totally understood and when she asked me how I wanted her to return the deposit, I told her not to worry about it because we'd just apply it to the next upcoming date since I fully trusted her. She appreciated that trust. I can only hope if the shoe was on the other foot, she'd be as understanding as I was. I would like to think so.

Now would I send a deposit to someone new, no way. Even though I've never cancelled on anyone, I'd just move on to the next companion who didn't require one. I need to buildup a great level of trust with her first.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:55 pm

The elephant is still hiding, but you got the head and tusks in the tent.

You hit the nail on the head - trust.

Do I trust I won't have anything go FUBAR in the next 24 hours? Not a prayer. I'm in that stage of life when waking up with my faculties is an accomplishment.

So I don't bother someone who needs a deposit. Travel isn't cheap. Hotels aren't cheap. I get it. They want to mitigate their risk. I'm on board with the reason and the concept. Because I place the risk that I'll just lose the deposit at 99.9999%.

Bring the rest of the elephant into view - I'm not on board with the risk being thrown 100% on me, which is usually what I see - deposits in the $300-500 range for an hour appointment.

If the deposit was at a level where it was mitigating the potential loss, I'd be more open - but NOT making the other party 100% whole. It's a BUSINESS. it has RISKS if it is PROFITABLE (or reduced risk for a MONOPOLY).

If you're local, no way no how. Especially if we already know each other. Your risk is essentially the same as mine.
- Edmund Burke

nematoda
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by nematoda » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Deposits are contributing to the slow erosion of my confidence in the whole endeavor. When I first got into the hobby, craigslist was available to get relatively immediate satisfaction. A couple places (Sugar's in QCA, Touch of Mink in IC) had staff for passing through urges. Additionally, several full service AMPs were also available.

Subsequently, I found GBN and was able to connect with some local talent, and I also expanded my definition of local. Occasionally, a traveling companion might appear on the radar, and perhaps after some discussion, a date was set. Then, these visits became more elaborate and complicated. The "adult relaxaion" places closed, and the AMPs became a crapshoot. Backpage closed shop.

Now, I find my local strip club more satisfying as I know they will be there when I find it convenient to drop in. At least one local Contractor has posted deposits, and while I lost interest before this, now I will not return. I have had some hit or miss opportunities with traveling companions, and I always feel like the empty space on a venn diagram (between paydays, they are in town Tuesday, and I am in town on Wednesday, etc). I have also noted the slow rise of price points. I will probably continue to see the 3 or so companions I have previously seen, but the chances of meeting new companions is becoming less attractive.

Hope this helps.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:09 pm

Anecdotes add to the discussion. Whether or not someone like the Troll who was full of colorful ad hominem attacks on me, my gender, and my genitalia would actually LISTEN is doubtful.
- Edmund Burke

DMLawPro
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Your Role: Law Enforcement
Your City: West of The Nile

Post by DMLawPro » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Ah, you ain't gonna get a deposit from me..... No matter who you are....

In fact, if I schedule with you ....you have to make a deposit with me in case you don't show and waste my time....

There, i said it... I ain't fallin for the PC crap, i tell it like it is.
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:32 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:14 pm

In fact, if I schedule with you ....you have to make a deposit with me in case you don't show and waste my time....

I don't pay deposits, either. I get the argument, but it has holes in it.
- Edmund Burke

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Publisher wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:32 pm
DMLawPro wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:14 pm

I don't pay deposits, either. I get the argument, but it has holes in it.
There really is no argument. If you don't have the money to travel then keep your ass at home.

Sort of like going to Las Vegas to bet...... you have to have a little bit of cash on you to even begin to think about betting....

If your business model is spending what you make on extra curricular activities and the like and not back into your "business" then you are doing it wrong.
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member

Post by vorlon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Under most circumstances, I would not consider paying a deposit and in fact I never have. Contractors have been having problems with NCNS for a long time. Unfortunately, it goes with the territory and their clients have been dealing with them just as long. There is a cost to doing business and the increased level of asking for deposits IMHO is an attempt to avoid those costs and often leaves the client holding the bag if the appointment doesn't happen. As a client, it is not my responsibility to help make the contractor's business profitable and quite possibly receive nothing in return.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the total number of times I've canceled an appointment. I've never done a NCNS and have always let the contractor know as soon as I could that I wouldn't be able to keep the appointment. On the other hand, I've been NCNS'd a number of times and had cancellations and postponements happen even more times. Unexpected events come up, particularly in P4P. All I ask is let me know and in return understand that I too may have a problem unexpectedly come up. I've even had a cancellation when I was on the way over. Unless she shows a pattern of not having her act together, I will deal with it. I expect similar consideration in return, not demands for deposits or payments if I cancel less than X hours before the appointment.

Now, if a contractor is dealing with someone who has jacked them around before but she is still willing to schedule them, then I can see asking for a deposit. But I've never done anything like that and unless I somehow end up in a coma in a hospital or something similar, I don't ever expect to.

The only circumstance I can see where I would consider a deposit is if I am requesting something that would require her to put a significant amount of time or money up front, such as if I specifically asked her to travel to where I was or asked her to travel with me. But I've done that a few times and never been asked for a deposit. Of course, I am sure it helps that I have always been well behaved and also did these with contractors whom I had seen more than a few times already.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

scarletknight
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by scarletknight » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:32 pm

I agree with most of what has been said here. I have also never NCNS, although I've had to postpone or cancel a few times - once on very short notice due to a car accident a couple hours before. And anyone I've cancelled with I always ended up seeing later. But I've also had ladies cancel on me, including short notice and NCNS, and I only received extra benefits once.

I've never seen anyone that required a deposit for the length of time I've scheduled. And I don't think I would pay a deposit for a standard appointment (2 hours for less). I could see potentially doing so for special circumstances as vorlon outlined. If I'm asking someone to commit to something out of the ordinary, I could see a deposit.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~Calvin & Hobbes

ferox
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo

Post by ferox » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:52 pm

My thoughts are NO!

Eastside70
Donor
Donor

Post by Eastside70 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:41 pm

Publisher wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:55 pm
Bring the rest of the elephant into view - I'm not on board with the risk being thrown 100% on me, which is usually what I see - deposits in the $300-500 range for an hour appointment.
Oh don't get me wrong, I've never paid a deposit for a 1 hour or even 3 hour date for either a touring companion or local one. I don't see the need for it in those short duration situations, so I won't provide it.

The only deposits that I've provided is for a touring companion for an 8 hour extended date and it was for only 1/2 of the date total which I find reasonable since she's basically blocking out most of her day for me.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:32 pm

The Switter Troll thinks 100% upfront is reasonable in her home base. I wouldnt see her based on personality, alone. I'm not keen on being in a locked room with a woman who hates men, and makes it openly clear she does. But I'm definitely a dominant personality, trying to bully me is an error in judgment.

She is NOT that amazingly beautiful, and her reviews indicate shes good at what she does, but NOT a true once in a lifetime experience.

If she gets it, she gets it. If her clientele is comprised of milk toasts who will let get away with it, that's their choice.
- Edmund Burke

vorlon

Post by vorlon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:13 am

Publisher wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:32 pm
The Switter Troll thinks 100% upfront is reasonable in her home base. I wouldnt see her based on personality, alone. I'm not keen on being in a locked room with a woman who hates men, and makes it openly clear she does. But I'm definitely a dominant personality, trying to bully me is an error in judgment.

She is NOT that amazingly beautiful, and her reviews indicate shes good at what she does, but NOT a true once in a lifetime experience.

If she gets it, she gets it. If her clientele is comprised of milk toasts who will let get away with it, that's their choice.
Hard to see that any other type would see her more than once.

cliff86
Donor
Donor

Post by cliff86 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:27 am

Eastside70 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:13 pm
Well the big elephant in the room that no one is discussing is WHY companions are asking for deposits. From my gathering it's mainly due to all of the NCNS, last minute cancellations, etc that the companions are experiencing. I'm sure there are some that like to scam clients, but I think that's a pretty small percentage.

I realize emergencies come up and the companion would need to be understandable under those special legitimate circumstances, but clients need to take responsibility for this increase in deposit requests. You make a date, keep it or compensate her accordingly. If all clients just did this, I probably bet that deposit requests would drop significantly.

I have provided several deposits with one very reputable companion without any incident. There's trust between us. Just recently she had to cancel a date due to her getting sick. I totally understood and when she asked me how I wanted her to return the deposit, I told her not to worry about it because we'd just apply it to the next upcoming date since I fully trusted her. She appreciated that trust. I can only hope if the shoe was on the other foot, she'd be as understanding as I was. I would like to think so.

Now would I send a deposit to someone new, no way. Even though I've never cancelled on anyone, I'd just move on to the next companion who didn't require one. I need to buildup a great level of trust with her first.
With all you said my question becomes if you both have such a great trust for each other than why do you need the deposit? The deposit is about the fact you don’t trust each other which is why pubs nailed it.

Deposits are fine actually they make sense. They mitigate risk and encourage follow through. The problem is what is being asked for is not a deposit but a large down payment. 10% down is a deposit. 300 appointment $30 down. Traveling companion gets 3 scheduled and she covers a lot of her travel cost as long as one shows she makes money.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:22 am

It's not a downpayment its PREpayment being sought. It's not risk mitigation, it's making the risk zero with a BONUS if the client has to cancel.
- Edmund Burke

DukeOfHazard
International Grain Cartel
Your City: Hazard County

Post by DukeOfHazard » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:27 am

The entire deposit prerequisite seems ripe for fraud. The only time I participated was when I visited a SMURF and it was part of the verification process. Will never do either again.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:29 am

DukeOfHazard wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:27 am
The entire deposit prerequisite seems ripe for fraud. The only time I participated was when I visited a SMURF and it was part of the verification process. Will never do either again.
Which brings us back to trust development.
- Edmund Burke

Jakcool
International Grain Cartel
Your City: Pink land

Post by Jakcool » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:30 am

To me, no deposit. In this business, 3 rules....trust no one; caution is advised; proceed at your own risk. Take it or leave it!
:pirateflag ""You can not unfu_k what has been fu_ked"" :pirateflag
:pirateflag A 7 in my book is a 7 in the Richter Scale for earthquakes :pirateflag

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:34 am

Here's the biggest fallacious argument on the trust issue made by Switter Troll:

Allegedly engaging on Twitter with allegedly multiple individuals one on one. After said troll whipped up TWO new "identities" on Switter in under 10 minutes.

Trust? I trust when said trolls shell game collapses that multiple people will be financially damaged.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:33 am

Businesses buy insurance all the time. This is normal, standard, business practice. That is "risk mitigation" or "risk transferal" depending on the type of insurance.

That's not what is being asked out there for the companions seeking deposits, they are seeking 100% risk AVOIDANCE. If you want to AVOID risk, don't get in business. There is NO profit without risk. This is simple economics. Risk AVOIDANCE is part of doing business, and part of how the most profitable companies BECOME profitable.

I wonder if Lloyd's would develop an insurance policy for such as this. Hell, they'll insure a FOOT for a soccer player, an ARM for a quarterback. The USA was founded by this freaking group of robber barons with money, with the guns backing them courtesy of one of their biggest investors - the king.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 am

What we have here from most of the gents commenting on this discussion is one thing - Zero trust. And there's nothing wrong with that. I get it. Not trusting a strange HUMAN is normal behavior. Hell, it's the RIGHT behavior, humans are DANGEROUS creatures. How and to whom they are dangerous is as individual as grains of sand. I don't interact with ANY other human being that I don't KNOW is potentially dangerous to another human being. Whether or not they are dangerous TO ME is my decision. And each individual's.

I also by virtue of running this site (with the advice and input from others) assume aspects of determining if in my estimation that certain humans are dangerous on a wider basis. It's a pretty awful job sometimes.

But we don't need any further commentary on that aspect of the discussion, It's beaten to death now.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:45 am

I've come up with an idea. I will be discussing it with someone more mathematically nimble than myself.
- Edmund Burke

JoeNegative
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo

Post by JoeNegative » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:17 am

I paid one deposit. Once. Before I even contacted her to begin with, I gathered as much info as I could. I was comfortable with it because she has a sterling reputation, as far as I could tell. Everything worked out and I was happy with the experience.

To me, it comes down to professionalism. Contractors who treat their business like a business and understand that it’s not worth the hit to their reputation to skip out with a deposit. That gets around just as surely as all the f*ckery that the boys can get up to.

cliff86
Donor
Donor

Post by cliff86 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:18 pm

JoeNegative wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:17 am
I paid one deposit. Once. Before I even contacted her to begin with, I gathered as much info as I could. I was comfortable with it because she has a sterling reputation, as far as I could tell. Everything worked out and I was happy with the experience.

To me, it comes down to professionalism. Contractors who treat their business like a business and understand that it’s not worth the hit to their reputation to skip out with a deposit. That gets around just as surely as all the f*ckery that the boys can get up to.

I again will say 10% down should be a standard for touring girls. It makes complete sense as it has them follow through as their hotel should be paid for and if one client shows it would make the trip moderately worth it. Also it puts pressure on guys to follow through. 10% no more no less.

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:15 am

cliff86 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:18 pm
I again will say 10% down should be a standard for touring girls. It makes complete sense as it has them follow through as their hotel should be paid for and if one client shows it would make the trip moderately worth it. Also it puts pressure on guys to follow through. 10% no more no less.
What about touring guys, like myself? Should I now require a deposit?

cliff86
Donor
Donor

Post by cliff86 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 am

DMLawPro wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:15 am
cliff86 wrote:
Sorry, doesn’t work that way. I honestly did not go into this conversation believing in them. But it does make some sense if it was small. 15-30 bucks. It’s small enough I could take the hit if they did not show and it would help in situations like you and I discussed the other day as I am sure that would have gone differently. I will add I like to play devils advocate in any discussion. It’s part of my job so it bleeds into other areas of my life. I have convinced myself that deposits could work. But that’s not these ladies want, they want upfront money and that ain’t happening. Never have paid one but I would consider it if they did 10%

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:01 am

What you mean it doesn't work that way?

Why can't I charge a deposit?

Gender bias Cliffy?

Why would it be okay for a female to charge a deposit and not me?

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by shyboy69 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 am

cliff86 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 am
DMLawPro wrote:
cliff86 wrote:
Sorry, doesn’t work that way. I honestly did not go into this conversation believing in them. But it does make some sense if it was small. 15-30 bucks. It’s small enough I could take the hit if they did not show and it would help in situations like you and I discussed the other day as I am sure that would have gone differently. I will add I like to play devils advocate in any discussion. It’s part of my job so it bleeds into other areas of my life. I have convinced myself that deposits could work. But that’s not these ladies want, they want upfront money and that ain’t happening. Never have paid one but I would consider it if they did 10%
I don't think most ladies are looking for a $15 - $30 deposit. I think they are looking into the 50% area?

cliff86
Donor
Donor

Post by cliff86 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:34 am

shyboy69 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 am
cliff86 wrote:
DMLawPro wrote:
cliff86 wrote:
I don't think most ladies are looking for a $15 - $30 deposit. I think they are looking into the 50% area?
Correct,like I said 10% makes sense more I wont see you.

Eastside70
Donor
Donor

Post by Eastside70 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:56 pm

cliff86 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:27 am
Eastside70 wrote:

With all you said my question becomes if you both have such a great trust for each other than why do you need the deposit? The deposit is about the fact you don’t trust each other which is why pubs nailed it.

Deposits are fine actually they make sense. They mitigate risk and encourage follow through. The problem is what is being asked for is not a deposit but a large down payment. 10% down is a deposit. 300 appointment $30 down. Traveling companion gets 3 scheduled and she covers a lot of her travel cost as long as one shows she makes money.
The deposit is required, as a sign of commitment, because she's blocking out 8 hours of her day for me which could be difficult to fill if I had to cancel on her last minute (or within her allocated cancellation cutoff window) since she'd probably already turned down other clients requesting a date during that same time frame. I think it's a reasonable request given those circumstances. My goal is for both parties to be whole and not unnecessarily out of pocket at the end of the day.

I don't provide a deposit, nor does she require one, when I see her for 3 hours because that's something a little more realistic that she could make up with scheduling other dates on that short of a notice. The odds of someone else wanting that same time frame is a lot slimmer than if it was for the 8 hour date.

There are some ladies who require a deposit for 90 minutes or more dates. Those are the ones I pass on by. I only provide a deposit for 8 hour dates due to the unusual time commitment that she's providing me.

YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Post by YAG » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 pm

shyboy69 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 am
cliff86 wrote:
DMLawPro wrote:
cliff86 wrote:
Or 100 % which is what I've seen the most, and pre-payment is NOT fair, balanced in any way, nor it make any sense from an ethical business standpoint.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

cliff86
Donor
Donor

Post by cliff86 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Eastside70 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:56 pm
cliff86 wrote:
Eastside70 wrote:

The deposit is required, as a sign of commitment, because she's blocking out 8 hours of her day for me which could be difficult to fill if I had to cancel on her last minute (or within her allocated cancellation cutoff window) since she'd probably already turned down other clients requesting a date during that same time frame. I think it's a reasonable request given those circumstances. My goal is for both parties to be whole and not unnecessarily out of pocket at the end of the day.

I don't provide a deposit, nor does she require one, when I see her for 3 hours because that's something a little more realistic that she could make up with scheduling other dates on that short of a notice. The odds of someone else wanting that same time frame is a lot slimmer than if it was for the 8 hour date.

There are some ladies who require a deposit for 90 minutes or more dates. Those are the ones I pass on by. I only provide a deposit for 8 hour dates due to the unusual time commitment that she's providing me.

8 hours is a whole different scenario. When I say 10% makes sense I mean on anything from a half to a couple hours. You are correct 8hours will mean she turns away others.

Eastside70
Donor
Donor

Post by Eastside70 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 pm

cliff86 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm
Eastside70 wrote:
cliff86 wrote:
Eastside70 wrote:

8 hours is a whole different scenario. When I say 10% makes sense I mean on anything from a half to a couple hours. You are correct 8hours will mean she turns away others.
Glad we're in agreement. I guess I should have noted the 8 hour time frame in my original post. My apologies.

If one would provide a deposit for shorter date durations, I agree 10% would be reasonable. But as I've said, I won't be providing it for those types of dates because I don't see them as deposit worthy.

cliff86
Donor
Donor

Post by cliff86 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Eastside70 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 pm
cliff86 wrote:
Eastside70 wrote:
cliff86 wrote:
Eastside70 wrote:

Glad we're in agreement. I guess I should have noted the 8 hour time frame in my original post. My apologies.

If one would provide a deposit for shorter date durations, I agree 10% would be reasonable. But as I've said, I won't be providing it for those types of dates because I don't see them as deposit worthy.
I just see a 10% standard making it so all parties are more likely to follow through. I have seen many trips canceled over time due to many reasons. I think such a thing would benefit everyone to a point. But again I did not think this at first, but played devils advocate and have actually convinced myself in the process. The 8 hour deal I dont believe I would go above half up front and even that seems high, But I also have no interest in 8 hours. I dont live in that financial world.

Eastside70
Donor
Donor

Post by Eastside70 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 pm

cliff86 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:32 pm
Eastside70 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 pm
cliff86 wrote:
Eastside70 wrote:
cliff86 wrote:
Eastside70 wrote:

I just see a 10% standard making it so all parties are more likely to follow through. I have seen many trips canceled over time due to many reasons. I think such a thing would benefit everyone to a point. But again I did not think this at first, but played devils advocate and have actually convinced myself in the process. The 8 hour deal I dont believe I would go above half up front and even that seems high, But I also have no interest in 8 hours. I dont live in that financial world.
I can't see 10% of say a 300 hour date having enough teeth in it to make client follow through with it or provide her with anything of substance if client canceled. Client would still be up 270 if they cancelled. To me, it wouldn't be worth the hassle to send it to her in the first place or the hassle on her end to return it if she had to cancel. I don't want to produce a paper trail. My deposits are paid via Amazon GC with cash and emailed to her which is pretty discreet to me.

I only provide 50% deposit for 8 hours which seems pretty standard from what I've seen. I do quite a bit of sacrificing in order to make it work, but it's so worth it to spend the time with her.

Jocelyn
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Your City: CR, DSM

Post by Jocelyn » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:00 am

I guess I would be wondering why business was so crappy for a Contractor that she depends on your one hour appt so much to require it be prepaid? I won’t ever mess w deposits- more hassle than it’s even worth- nothing in this world or life in general is guaranteed and part of that includes having contingency plans in place.
I'm not as naughty as you think....I'm way worse

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:45 am

Jocelyn wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:00 am
I guess I would be wondering why business was so crappy for a Contractor that she depends on your one hour appt so much to require it be prepaid? I won’t ever mess w deposits- more hassle than it’s even worth- nothing in this world or life in general is guaranteed and part of that includes having contingency plans in place.
To me, it's a warning bell. It doesn't necessarily mean 100% that I'd be ripped off, but it sure seems likely.

And even for someone traveling, I wouldn't cough up the full value of a one hour appointment. She's taking a risk by traveling at all, and it's unlikely I'd be the only potential client for the day.
- Edmund Burke

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Jocelyn wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:00 am

BINGO!

vorlon

Post by vorlon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:05 am

cliff86 wrote:
JoeNegative wrote:

Why? I've seen plenty of ladies come to town without asking for any deposits and they must have done OK because they keep coming back.

YAG

Post by YAG » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:26 pm

vorlon wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:05 am
cliff86 wrote:
JoeNegative wrote:

Why? I've seen plenty of ladies come to town without asking for any deposits and they must have done OK because they keep coming back.
I don't believe a standard is reasonable.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow

runnerroad
Stall Mucker
Stall Mucker

deposit

Post by runnerroad » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:46 am

I am not very experienced, so what do you think about this idea:

Does anyone ever do donations ahead of time remotely for 100% of the amount? Perhaps send by mail or online? I would naturally only consider this with a Contractor with a good track record that is a pro, as naturally they could just "no show" and take all the donation. That is the risk. Buy they would also risk damage to their image. It would make it easy to separate the date from the donation, and make it hard for any LEO to make a case. I would love to hear companions weigh in as well.

Thanks ahead of time!

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Re: deposit

Post by shyboy69 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:06 am

Im sure this subject has been discussed in great depth else where. Being on my phone makes it a little more complicated to search, copy, and paste.

There are pros and cons of both sides of the subject. And I understand both sides of the fence. But in short. My issue is this. Everything in this game revolves around trust! We trust the ladies have safe practices. They trust we say who we are and are going to treat them as ladies and with respect. It's hard for me to trust someone I've never met. And if she does a dash with my deposit. Who do I see to get it back if that is in fact the case.

There will be a handful of ladies who will come along and tell you their opinions. Which is ok and totally up them. Remember, it's their business to run how they see fit! And not up to us to question. If I'm uncomfortable with her or her practices I just choose not to see her.

And I must add. That I'm truly a nice guy. And have been taken advantage of by 2 ladies who had earned my trust. Not large amounts. But enough. So I probably won't give anyone a deposit.
Last edited by shyboy69 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

YAG

Post by YAG » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:15 am

No
No

And no way
Clarence Darrow

funnyguy8558
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Central Illinois corn fields

Post by funnyguy8558 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:36 am

runnerroad wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:46 am

Does anyone ever do donations ahead of time remotely for 100% of the amount? Perhaps send by mail or online? I would naturally only consider this with a Contractor with a good track record that is a pro, as naturally they could just "no show" and take all the donation. That is the risk. Buy they would also risk damage to their image. It would make it easy to separate the date from the donation, and make it hard for any LEO to make a case. I would love to hear companions weigh in as well.

Thanks ahead of time!
Simple answer is NO. I personally will not do deposits, simply move on. Do not do advancements, make donations ahead of time or any loans no matter what her reason is. In the short time I have been involved in the hobby I have had one contractor to contact me (I had seen her before) asking for a advancement for our next visit. She said she was having car problems and needed it to get the car back from the repair shop. As much as I wanted to do that, i said no. Pay as you play as told to me by an old pro on here when i first joined.
polite, respectful gentleman looking for fun, NO problems NO trouble

Fishstick
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor

Post by Fishstick » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:48 am

Her word against yours, if she is a no show. This isn't like buying something on Amazon and paying ahead.

Do pay the electrician before he does the job?

Did Dave69 stop touching people?

Have a good day.

Eastside70
Donor
Donor

Post by Eastside70 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:54 am

Depends on the date length. Extended dates (8 hrs) yes, much shorter dates no. And when I do, it's 50% and only with a very reputable companion.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 pm

runnerroad wrote:

Thanks ahead of time!
This has been merged into the existing discussion.
- Edmund Burke

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by shyboy69 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 pm
runnerroad wrote:

Thanks ahead of time!
This has been merged into the existing discussion.
Thanks big guy!

vorlon

Post by vorlon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:08 am

runnerroad wrote:

Thanks ahead of time!
Absolutely not. Pay when you arrive as per the usual protocol.

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Eastern south central Illinois.

Post by wallaby » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:35 pm

I'm ok with deposits.
I moved to extended engagements and don't like carrying large amounts of cash.
I'm especially inclined to go with a deposit if:
1. She is touring. Shows a commitment to the appointment. Way too many ladies get people putting up their hands for a visit to their city and are then ghosted. The MidWest is notorious for this sort of thing. Want someone to visit? A deposit does a long way.
2. She is securing an REDACTED location for us. Yeah, yeah ... Cost of doing business.

But, deposits are treated like early money. In reality until services are performed it doesn't really belong to them. It should be treated as being in escrow and not spent until after the appointment.

Shit happens Appointments get cancelled - from both sides. Clients and companions need to accept responsibility and refund what's appropriate.
The Real Wallaby - Accept No Imitations
“Cook, Travel, Eat, Read, repeat.” - Alton Brown

#PokerKnowsTheTruth...Maybe

YAG

Post by YAG » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:41 pm

Deposits for someone local will never make sense.

I can see in some, and very limited circumstances, I'd consider a deposit.

Very, very limited. But the new guy who reinvigorated this thread is more likely to be taken, versus have secured an appointment.
Clarence Darrow

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:48 pm

Better question:

Who has gotten a refund from a Contractor?

YAG

Post by YAG » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:31 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:48 pm
Better question:

rainbowunicornwebsiteimage.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clarence Darrow

Eastside70
Donor
Donor

Post by Eastside70 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:59 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Better question:

I've had one touring companion cancel on me twice due to sickness. Both times, the first thing she asked me was how I wanted my deposit returned. I told her that the deposit was exclusively for our date and that we would apply it towards our next extended date which we had a few months later. Her immediately asking me about returning it reconfirmed my reasonings why I trusted providing it to her in the first place.

jontron97
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Your City: Somewhere cold and miserable

Post by jontron97 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:47 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Better question:

I did not get a refund from a contractor, but I did get an additional service free of charge given an issue that happened to her. The additional service would have otherwise been more.

Yuna
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by Yuna » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:33 pm

I've never taken a deposit before but I know that there are ladies that want to make it a standard practice.
If I were to go to a new city, I know that deposits would help ease some of the anxiety of getting flaked on. With GBN's verification system though, I don't think I need to have deposits because your reputation will go down if you screw someone over.

vorlon

Post by vorlon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:23 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Better question:

Partial refund. We had a mix up on the length of the appointment and I gave her the donation for the longer session. When we discovered the mistake, she had somewhere to go so she promptly refunded the amount for the difference.

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Yuna wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:33 pm
.................. With GBN's verification system though, I don't think I need to have deposits because your reputation will go down if you screw someone over.

Glad I don't have a reputation.... I should be good to go.....

jontron97
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Your City: Somewhere cold and miserable

Post by jontron97 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Yuna wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:33 pm
I've never taken a deposit before but I know that there are ladies that want to make it a standard practice.
If I were to go to a new city, I know that deposits would help ease some of the anxiety of getting flaked on. With GBN's verification system though, I don't think I need to have deposits because your reputation will go down if you screw someone over.
The only ladies that I know do that are for extended sessions usually 2+ hours. I know one lady in Chicago charges a deposit or a one night encounter where she makes a full feast for you. I can kind of see where they are coming from since they set aside so much of their time but I would want some sort of verification on her like p411.

LondonJames
Foreman
Your City: Minneapolis | Chicago | NYC

Post by LondonJames » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Wallaby wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:35 pm
I'm ok with deposits.
I moved to extended engagements and don't like carrying large amounts of cash.
I'm especially inclined to go with a deposit if:
1. She is touring. Shows a commitment to the appointment. Way too many ladies get people putting up their hands for a visit to their city and are then ghosted. The MidWest is notorious for this sort of thing. Want someone to visit? A deposit does a long way.
2. She is securing an REDACTED location for us. Yeah, yeah ... Cost of doing business.

But, deposits are treated like early money. In reality until services are performed it doesn't really belong to them. It should be treated as being in escrow and not spent until after the appointment.

Shit happens Appointments get cancelled - from both sides. Clients and companions need to accept responsibility and refund what's appropriate.
Since moving to the Midwest, I always enforce my deposit policy, ESPECIALLY for shorter appointments. Most of my cancellations come from Midwest gents who book 1H to 1.5H. My muggle job is salaried which means there is flexibility there but if I'm taking time out of my standard 9-5 work day to see someone, I will most definitely require a deposit.

My time is limited which means it's normally spoken for well in advance. If Gentleman A and Gentleman B both request an appointment for the same day but "B" balks at a deposit and "A" sends it... looks like "A" is getting a really good, wet, and sloppy <use your imagination>

In regards to getting a deposit back- I have refunded deposits in two instances. The first was for a tour that had to be cancelled due to my father passing. The second time actually screwed me. I was headed to NYC for a tour and I just got this terrible gut feeling about a potential client, we'll call him "R" (they had been emailing me incessantly on the verge of obsessively). R had sent the money via P*yP*l. Because I didn't want to deal with R anymore, I sent my attorney the money to send to R. So, R received the returned deposit from my attorney and then proceeded to open up a case against me on P*yP*l. I fought it and provided evidence that R had been paid, but I lost the battle because of my avocation. So, "R" not only got his original deposit back but he ALSO got another $500 from P*yP*l that P*yP*l paid on my behalf because that specific account was always left empty.

So, you think deposits can only screw y'all over? We can be screwed over by deposits and electronic methods of payment even after appointments because folks want to charge back.

It's all a mess, which is why I keep deposits at a minimum. However, the best is when someone just tucks it in their favorite book or even a card, and send it to the PO Box if there is time (expedited if we are on a short timeline). Why? Because cash is king.
London James
Elite Companion Based in Minneapolis, MN - Available Worldwide by Appointment
Twitter & IG: @HelloLondonxo | OnlyFans" @HelloLondonxo

RattleHead
Donor
Donor
Your City: Beloit, WI

Post by RattleHead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:19 pm

Way back in 2000, I paid a deposit to a contractor that was visiting Chicago ( from Dallas ). That was the one, and only, that I've ever paid a deposit. It was a good experience, but I've never tried to meet anyone else that required a deposit. I don't believe I'd ever do it again.

LondonJames
Foreman

Post by LondonJames » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:14 pm

RattleHead wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:19 pm
Way back in 2000, I paid a deposit to a contractor that was visiting Chicago ( from Dallas ). That was the one, and only, that I've ever paid a deposit. It was a good experience, but I've never tried to meet anyone else that required a deposit. I don't believe I'd ever do it again.
We all have to do what we have to do and although I'm sorry you're probably missing out on some great experiences, I'm sure you've found just the right folks for you. :)
London James

vorlon

Post by vorlon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

LondonJames wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:14 pm
RattleHead wrote:
We all have to do what we have to do and although I'm sorry you're probably missing out on some great experiences, I'm sure you've found just the right folks for you. :)
Well, here is my experience as long as I have been in P4P. I have seldom run across contractors who required deposits for the most common lengths of sessions. Not including some extra long sessions (overnights or longer), I've never had a problem getting appointments without putting down a deposit. I've always tried to be a gentleman with the ladies I see and to develop a reputation as a reputable client. I can understand asking for a deposit from a client whose rep is not so good (NCNS, etc) but to make a blanket deposit policy regardless of who the client is just doesn't make sense to me.

LondonJames
Foreman

Post by LondonJames » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:00 pm

vorlon wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm
LondonJames wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:14 pm
RattleHead wrote:
Well, here is my experience as long as I have been in P4P. I have seldom run across contractors who required deposits for the most common lengths of sessions. Not including some extra long sessions (overnights or longer), I've never had a problem getting appointments without putting down a deposit.

That's the beauty of business. You can decide who you want to do business with. Clearly, I, and others who require deposits for shorter dates for new clients or all clients, will never be one of those people. And frankly, that's okay because someone who cannot understand the reasoning behind deposits in general regardless of date length or previous client behavior, albeit positive, is someone I may not click with.

"I can understand asking for a deposit from a client whose rep is not so good (NCNS, etc) but to make a blanket deposit policy regardless of who the client is just doesn't make sense to me."

You may think a blanket policy doesn't make sense, but then again darlin', you're not Contractor. You're not the one running this specific business and if you were... I'm sure you'd possibly reconsider that notion of yours. A deposit is about safeguarding time. Let's say you book an 1H appointment with a Contractor and don't pay a deposit. You cancel and they are okay with it. I can pretty much guarantee, that Contractor is a wee bit peeved. Although we as companions understand cancellations and do take them in stride and with a smile, depending on the variables of our respective lives it can be frustrating. Why? Some companions had to find paid for childcare for your 1H appointment, a Contractor may have to drive into the city you're requesting, a Contractor who takes off non-salaried work to accommodate you, a touring Contractor that now can't fill that spot, etc. Have I made exceptions to my own rules? Yes. There's a fella or two here that hasn't had to pay a deposit for a 1H or even a 2H appointment but they proved themselves to be trusted and reliable when they were new clients.
While we all run our business as we see fit based on what works for us, saying that a "blanket deposit policy doesn't make sense" kind of comes across as insensitive to things we do to accommodate YOU.

I've always tried to be a gentleman with the ladies I see and to develop a reputation as a reputable client.

You very well may be a reputable client, but clients have been known to go bad. You could be a great client to two people, but a terrible client to another. Who knows? Only you really.

TLDR: It'll be wonderful solely interacting with you here. :)
London James

wallaby
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Eastern south central Illinois.

Post by wallaby » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Get used to it.
In the post SESTA/FOSTA world, this is becoming increasingly common.
With demise of backpage, a lot of women are getting guys who request their time, then ghost them. With bookings harder to obtain,that means that they might have had a second potential client they declined. The deposit holds the place and is a commitment on both parties.
You might not like the idea, or think that you'll just look elsewhere, but it is becoming pretty common.
The Real Wallaby - Accept No Imitations
“Cook, Travel, Eat, Read, repeat.” - Alton Brown

#PokerKnowsTheTruth...Maybe

Return to “Tricks of the Trade”