Have a technical question, or have a tip for everyone? Post it here
Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Needing Tech Support?

Post by Publisher » Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 am

If you need tech support, and one of the admins sends you an email asking for some specific information, please don't waste my or their time by not answering the questions and instead continue asking more questions.

If they ask you specific questions, it means they have a potential fix, but they need that information to effect it. It isn't idle curiosity.

There are a finite number of hours in a day, and by not answering the questions asked, you are further prolonging the process beyond what is necessary.

If you persist, it is likely you'll get ignored. It is highly likely that you will be ignored, any way, if you are a non-participating member.

Also, if it is a question about how the site operates, first use the Search function to see if the question has been answered. Then post the question publicly - odds are one of the over-4000 members here will have run across the same issue and knows the answer and can answer it. There are very few admins and moderators, but a LOT of members who can lend a hand.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Re: Needing Tech Support?

Post by Publisher » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:14 am

Publisher wrote:If you need tech support, and one of the admins sends you an email asking for some specific information, please don't waste my or their time by not answering the questions and instead continue asking more questions.

If they ask you specific questions, it means they have a potential fix, but they need that information to effect it. It isn't idle curiosity.

There are a finite number of hours in a day, and by not answering the questions asked, you are further prolonging the process beyond what is necessary.

If you persist, it is likely you'll get ignored. It is highly likely that you will be ignored, any way, if you are a non-participating member.

Also, if it is a question about how the site operates, first use the Search function to see if the question has been answered. Then post the question publicly - odds are one of the over-4000 members here will have run across the same issue and knows the answer and can answer it. There are very few admins and moderators, but a LOT of members who can lend a hand.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:15 am

Publisher wrote:If you need tech support, and one of the admins sends you an email asking for some specific information, please don't waste my or their time by not answering the questions and instead continue asking more questions.

Also, if it is a question about how the site operates, first use the Search function to see if the question has been answered. Then post the question publicly - odds are one of the over-8000 members here will have run across the same issue and knows the answer and can answer it. There are very few admins and moderators, but a LOT of members who can lend a hand.
- Edmund Burke

habuqc

Post by habuqc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:15 am

I get this message, can someone explain why? I have not harassed anyone and have sent very few Private Messages. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but could find no direction of where to ask. Also, I tried to message moderators, and I get the same message

Sorry, but the administrator has prevented you from sending private messages.

Reefer
Lookie Loo
Lookie Loo
Your City: Bloomington

Post by Reefer » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:37 am

habuqc wrote:I get this message, can someone explain why? I have not harassed anyone and have sent very few Private Messages. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but could find no direction of where to ask. Also, I tried to message moderators, and I get the same message

You're a lookieloo, try supporting the ship by donating!
Reefers love to propagate!

habuqc

Post by habuqc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:22 am

Reefer wrote:
habuqc wrote:I get this message, can someone explain why? I have not harassed anyone and have sent very few Private Messages. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but could find no direction of where to ask. Also, I tried to message moderators, and I get the same message

Will do, thanks for the answer!

habuqc

Post by habuqc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:24 am

Reefer wrote:

Sent a message to donate, thanks for the info

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:47 pm

Publisher wrote:
Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 am
If you need tech support, and one of the admins sends you an email asking for some specific information, please don't waste my or their time by not answering the questions and instead continue asking more questions.

Is there something about this that isn't clear? I am about to block email from a specific user who hasn't once answered any of the questions we need answered to fix this, but reiterates the same thing repeatedly.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:16 am

Publisher wrote:

Three mornings in a row from the same person, complaining that they can't get a response - but they respond to the response twice now. Without the information as requested in all three of MY responses that is needed to diagnose their issue. The issue will most likely be operator error from the rather disjointed explanation that I've received all three times.

Which means I *can't* help unless they pay me to come sit at their side to show them what they're doing wrong. Which is $250 an hour, minimum 2 hours, prepaid. Plus travel expenses, prepaid. That $250 an hour starts the moment I walk out my door and ends the moment I leave. Whatever is due when I arrive is payable on arrival in cash. I'll give you an estimate on what to have on hand before I arrive.

I suppose I could try to do it via Zoom or Skype - but I doubt they'll be able to figure out how to get either to work. Again - I want paid, in advance, before even trying.

I am irritated this morning by this person trying to lame the blame on this on me and/or Maxwell. The two of us bust our ass on this place every... single... day.
- Edmund Burke

The_Carpenter
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Your City: The Shop in KC, with deliveries to here and there

Post by The_Carpenter » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:24 am

I just want to know if Maxwell's rate is higher than Pubs rate?
And, do either of you have Multihour rates?
Last, can you actually mix various whiskey drinks or do you fake that?

Ok. Couldn't resist. It's a holiday weekend Pubs, go play somewhere.
Custom woodcraft and specialty transport

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:00 pm

The_Carpenter wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:24 am

I dont know what he'd charge.

Play? Vas is los?
- Edmund Burke

The_Carpenter
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Your City: The Shop in KC, with deliveries to here and there

Post by The_Carpenter » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:52 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:00 pm
The_Carpenter wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:24 am

I dont know what he'd charge.
Play? Vas is los?
What's happening in KC is the civie fwb is helping empty a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel.
Custom woodcraft and specialty transport

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:41 am

Publisher wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:16 am
Publisher wrote:

Three mornings in a row from the same person, complaining that they can't get a response - but they respond to the response twice now. Without the information as requested in all three of MY responses that is needed to diagnose their issue. The issue will most likely be operator error from the rather disjointed explanation that I've received all three times.

Which means I *can't* help unless they pay me to come sit at their side to show them what they're doing wrong. Which is $250 an hour, minimum 2 hours, prepaid. Plus travel expenses, prepaid. That $250 an hour starts the moment I walk out my door and ends the moment I leave. Whatever is due when I arrive is payable on arrival in cash. I'll give you an estimate on what to have on hand before I arrive.

I suppose I could try to do it via Zoom or Skype - but I doubt they'll be able to figure out how to get either to work. Again - I want paid, in advance, before even trying.

I am irritated this morning by this person trying to lame the blame on this on me and/or Maxwell. The two of us bust our ass on this place every... single... day.
After 5 times of NOT following my instructions, he at LEAST gave me a clue what was going amiss. TOTALLY operator error. I was able to fix the back end to accomodate his dumb ass. And immediately dumped him in the Asshole category for THREATENING me AFTER I fixed it.

Harley94 is on my permanent shitlist. He shouldn't have tried name-dropping, either, because the member he was trying to use as leverage started *make screaming monkey noises* me over 5 years ago, and hasn't even been seen on here since December 2019.
- Edmund Burke

vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member

Post by vorlon » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:00 pm

Publisher wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:41 am
Publisher wrote:
Publisher wrote:

After 5 times of NOT following my instructions, he at LEAST gave me a clue what was going amiss. TOTALLY operator error. I was able to fix the back end to accomodate his dumb ass. And immediately dumped him in the Asshole category for THREATENING me AFTER I fixed it.

Harley94 is on my permanent shitlist. He shouldn't have tried name-dropping, either, because the member he was trying to use as leverage started *make screaming monkey noises* me over 5 years ago, and hasn't even been seen on here since December 2019.
Joined 8 years ago and has never made a single post. I'm sure his absence will be noticed.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:29 am

vorlon wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:00 pm
Publisher wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:41 am
Publisher wrote:
Publisher wrote:

Joined 8 years ago and has never made a single post. I'm sure his absence will be noticed.
He is a typical meathead, making the mistake that threatening a nerd is intimidating. No... we get... creative.
- Edmund Burke

Return to “Tech Corner”