Have a technical question, or have a tip for everyone? Post it here
Tirant_Loblanc
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer

Hip to be (use) Square

Post by Tirant_Loblanc » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:59 pm

I see a MN companion who has srarted Square as an option. I would sort-of like the convenience but would like to fully understand the risks.
Other than handing her a card with my name on it there are "invoice" options as well. The Square website indicates there is an option to retain the card info. One would want to be sure companion is not doing that. I don't have anyone who can see my account charges so that is not an issue.

My questions are: What info is transmitted to the Square account? What if the account falls into the hands of a boyfriend or some kind of investigator? Creating an anonymous buffer card seems like more expense and more hassle. Thoughts?
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Charles Kingsley

zero_nerves
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Re: Hip to be (use) Square

Post by zero_nerves » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:51 pm

Yeah seems like a very reliable paper trail unless you have a burner credit card

vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member

Post by vorlon » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:31 pm

I've made CC purchases that use Square. As far as I can tell, it's basically like any credit card. What would show up on your CC statement would depend on what she names her business. Personally, I wouldn't do it.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Faromir
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by Faromir » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:53 am

zero_nerves wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:51 pm
Yeah seems like a very reliable paper trail unless you have a burner credit card
Maybe I’m old/not hip or just inexperienced, but what is a “burner CC” and how does someone get one? I understand the concept of a “burner” as in burner cellphone, but not sure how you can get a credit card without having to provide your real life info? Or are you referring to something that is more of a pre-paid card which you can purchase for cash and then use with information that doesn’t link back to your real life identity?

Tirant_Loblanc
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by Tirant_Loblanc » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:04 pm

This lady has a vague and harmless sounding id that shows up on the charge. In my own case that's not a big concern cuz nobody gonna see it. My main concern is what info might be recorded in her account record and who might get access to it. Especially if this record could be discovered in the future. Normally my risk pretty much ends when i get home. If the record does not contain my name and uses a transaction number to replace my account number then the liability tail could be short. I'm still not ready to try this, but in future there may be a place for it.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Charles Kingsley

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Post by Publisher » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:27 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_ ... s_company)

Square was for awhile the credit card prcesssing company for GBN. I found it intrusive (on my end) and changed as soon as I found an alternative.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

zero_nerves
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by zero_nerves » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:52 am

Faromir wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:53 am
zero_nerves wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:51 pm
Maybe I’m old/not hip or just inexperienced, but what is a “burner CC” and how does someone get one? I understand the concept of a “burner” as in burner cellphone, but not sure how you can get a credit card without having to provide your real life info? Or are you referring to something that is more of a pre-paid card which you can purchase for cash and then use with information that doesn’t link back to your real life identity?
Yeah, I meant like a prepaid gift visa card or something. Some services won't use them. I recall people complaining that venmo was not able to use them. If the lady was using regular square credit card processing, then should not be a problem to use a visa gift card. If it was square cash, that might require connecting to a bank account.

Return to “Tech Corner”