Deposits

Tips, hints, and general venting
Poker69
International Grain Cartel
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Law Enforcement

Deposits

Post by Poker69 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:43 am

Are deposit seekers all scammers? Are some of them legit and trying to cut down on time wasters and no shows?

Either way, isn't there a verifiable payment record somewhere.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Re: Deposits

Post by YAG » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:02 am

The requests for a deposit 99% of the time are coming from complete mysteries.

Besides, a deposit is in essence a security for the one party's performance. The only thing the client is promising is to show up.

Shouldnt this be flipped around, so *I* would be holding a deposit for *their* performance?

Without a third party escrow agent, how would *either* party recover the deposit for a failure to perform?
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

funnyguy8558
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Central Illinois corn fields

Post by funnyguy8558 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:04 am

I'm pretty sure that most are legit, they are trying to cut down no shows. At the same time they are cutting down bookings as well. Next month there will be two very beautiful ladies touring in my area, both require a deposit. I would really enjoy a visit with either of them but I will not do a deposit. I will not make any kind of payment electronically all my transactions are cash only.
polite, respectful gentleman looking for fun, NO problems NO trouble

DMLawPro
Chief Stall Mucker, Head Lookie Loo, Official GBNTroll and Scallywag
Your City: West of The Nile

Post by DMLawPro » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:08 am

I have found, in my experiences, that providing deposits or "money" upfront greatly lessens the desire of performance.

Unless I know you, deposits or "money" upfront are forbidden for me.
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Post by Publisher » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:34 am

funnyguy8558 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:04 am
I'm pretty sure that most are legit, they are trying to cut down no shows. At the same time they are cutting down bookings as well. Next month there will be two very beautiful ladies touring in my area, both require a deposit. I would really enjoy a visit with either of them but I will not do a deposit. I will not make any kind of payment electronically all my transactions are cash only.
If they are touring, and you're aware in advance, are they mysteries? Are they seeking 100% of the appointment fee up front, sight unseen?
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

DukeOfHazard
Your City: Hazard County

Post by DukeOfHazard » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:46 pm

YAG wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:02 am
The requests for a deposit 99% of the time are coming from complete mysteries.

Besides, a deposit is in essence a security for the one party's performance. The only thing the client is promising is to show up.

Shouldnt this be flipped around, so *I* would be holding a deposit for *their* performance?

Without a third party escrow agent, how would *either* party recover the deposit for a failure to perform?
I agree Yag

I'll never give a deposit because there are plenty of good ones out there that do not require a deposit. Plus if you deposit in advance and really do have a change of plans it's not like you're getting that money back, which in essence is what they ultimately want. How about a deposit for my time and for the miles I've driven just for a no show or they flake out.

funnyguy8558
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by funnyguy8558 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:34 am
funnyguy8558 wrote:
If they are touring, and you're aware in advance, are they mysteries? Are they seeking 100% of the appointment fee up front, sight unseen?
According to their websites just a deposit. I text one asking if in anyway the deposit could be in the form of cash, she blocked my number. NEXT!!!

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:20 pm

On online escrow system would be pretty complicated but about the only answer.

I can see several elements necessary. Possibly the most vital in the Land of Puritans is that the records of same being maintained outside of the US, with heavy-duty encryption.

Geotracking of both parties enabled. Confirmation system of arrival at the pre-agreed location. An account maintained by the party wanting the deposit, so if they fail, there is a penalty sent to the party harmed.

So far, in most cases ive seen, the person demanding the deposit has all the earmarks of a scam artist.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Your City: Madison

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:04 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:20 pm

I can see several elements necessary. Possibly the most vital in the Land of Puritans is that the records of same being maintained outside of the US, with heavy-duty encryption.

Geotracking of both parties enabled. Confirmation system of arrival at the pre-agreed location. An account maintained by the party wanting the deposit, so if they fail, there is a penalty sent to the party harmed.

So far, in most cases ive seen, the person demanding the deposit has all the earmarks of a scam artist.
When I first read this topic, I thought the same, then thought, "there's a business opportunity here!" :-). But - it seems to me the trickiest biit here is the confirmation of the meet: it's not hard to spoof the geotracking on Android phones, so there's no way to avoid a "he said/she said" situation. It would probably only work if the two parties trusted each other - at which point there's no need for the escrow....

I can see beginners wanting deposits. to help with the initial costs of a tour. Successful companions probably don't need help recouping those initial costs, so perhaps they would do this just as a way to avoid no-shows? Those with established regulars in the places they tour to can probably just count on them to ensure the tour is not a loss...

shyboy69
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your City: Near everything but close to nothing

Post by shyboy69 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm

I see and understand both sides of the coin.

A trusted and known lady won't ask you for a deposit. As Yag as said, it's the mystery. The deposit greater increases the possibility that you will make the appointment. But on the other hand. Where or what is my guarantee if she doesn't meet with me. Will I get a refund? It's not like I can file a complaint with anyone.
Last edited by shyboy69 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nice guys finish last? Yes we do! Our women always finish first. Multiple times!
My sparkling personality compensates for not being hung like a horse.

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:23 pm

shyboy69 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm
......................... But where is my guarantee if she doesn't meet with me. It's not like I can file a complaint with anyone.
yes, you can... File criminal charges for theft...
****** Nymphos only ****** The rest of you are just faking it........ Ladies, I am also CoronaVirus free.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:49 pm

YetAnotherHobbist wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:04 pm
Publisher wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:20 pm

When I first read this topic, I thought the same, then thought, "there's a business opportunity here!" :-). But - it seems to me the trickiest biit here is the confirmation of the meet: it's not hard to spoof the geotracking on Android phones, so there's no way to avoid a "he said/she said" situation. It would probably only work if the two parties trusted each other - at which point there's no need for the escrow....

I can see beginners wanting deposits. to help with the initial costs of a tour. Successful companions probably don't need help recouping those initial costs, so perhaps they would do this just as a way to avoid no-shows? Those with established regulars in the places they tour to can probably just count on them to ensure the tour is not a loss...
Spoofing both of them simultaneously? I havent kept up on GPS tech, but last i knew the satellite tracking puts you within 5 meters of the spot. How good are the ground based locators now? It couldnt be one-way, too easy for one to lie.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:00 pm

- Edmund Burke

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Your City: Madison

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:49 pm
Spoofing both of them simultaneously? I havent kept up on GPS tech, but last i knew the satellite tracking puts you within 5 meters of the spot. How good are the ground based locators now? It couldnt be one-way, too easy for one to lie.
I was thinking more of something like this: https://ww.9to5google.com/2018/04/08/sp ... id-basics/ - basically. on an Android phone, ypu can tell it where you are, and it will report that location to any apps running on it (if I read that right).

vorlon
Moderator - Sustaining Member
Moderator - Sustaining Member

Post by vorlon » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:43 am

DMLawPro wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:23 pm
shyboy69 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm
......................... But where is my guarantee if she doesn't meet with me. It's not like I can file a complaint with anyone.
yes, you can... File criminal charges for theft...
We'll let you go first and try that tactic out.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:34 am

YetAnotherHobbist wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:49 pm
Publisher wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:49 pm
I was thinking more of something like this: https://ww.9to5google.com/2018/04/08/sp ... id-basics/ - basically. on an Android phone, ypu can tell it where you are, and it will report that location to any apps running on it (if I read that right).
Im thinking a one-time unique identifier.
- Edmund Burke

Poker69

Post by Poker69 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:40 am

Nobody picked up on this yet. Pretend you're Danno.
Poker69 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:43 am
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Poker69 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:40 am
Poker69 wrote:
The answer is yes. Recovery is the issue.
- Edmund Burke

Poker69

Post by Poker69 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Publisher wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:46 pm
Poker69 wrote:
Poker69 wrote:
Recovery or evidence. Which troubles you more?

funnyguy8558
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by funnyguy8558 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Poker69 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:59 pm
Publisher wrote:
Poker69 wrote:
Poker69 wrote:
The evidence part is what I have a problem with.

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Poker69 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:59 pm
Publisher wrote:
Poker69 wrote:
Poker69 wrote:
Neither... Because both can be achieved....

Poker69

Post by Poker69 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Silly me. Thinking I wouldn't want evidence of a transaction.

YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Post by YAG » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:35 am

Giving a deposit to someone who hasn't given up any reason to trust them is insanity.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

Yuna
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Your Gender: Female
Your Role: Companion

Post by Yuna » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:26 pm

You guys know that I don't do deposits when I come down to CU or BloNo. But I do understand the argument for them as long as they are reasonable.
When I first started touring IL, I had to take a huge financial risk. Given that driving down 4 hours and having to front a cost of a hotel, it feels like a huge barrier to cross. What if the guys are flakey and I lose money? I'm much safer staying in my territory where I have established clients. Deposits help mitigate that risk. If a hotel costs $100 a night and I take 4 bookings, is it unreasonable to ask for a $25 deposit just so I'd break even in case everyone cancels? Now of course there are scammers and you have to do due diligence to prevent that, but I can see some instances where reasonable deposits make sense. I think if it seems safe and reasonable, deposits can encourage ladies to try out new places and there would be less complaints about the "barren wasteland" of no new talent.
Actually I did work out a deposit recently. I was asked to stop in another city that I don't normally stop at and get a hotel room by someone I've never seen before. I thought, wow, that guy could be trolling me, but he had some things vouching for him so I decided to work it out. So I very politely asked for a deposit equal to about half of the room cost which he found to be reasonable. And it worked out! Not sure if the wonderful gent that I saw,wants to tell his side of the story, but it would make for a different perspective.
The least traceable form of a deposit is a gift card. You can buy them with cash and a lot have custom amounts.

DMLawPro

Post by DMLawPro » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:43 pm

Yuna wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:26 pm
.......... Deposits help mitigate that risk. If a hotel costs $100 a night and I take 4 bookings, is it unreasonable to ask for a $25 deposit just so I'd break even in case everyone cancels? ......
Wow, someone who gets it.....

No harm, no foul if either party cancels too.... If the Lady does cancel, she could just credit next visit..... 25 out of pocket is minuscule in the scheme of things. It's the one's that want you to fund their whole trip before they put their pants on and start the car.

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:52 pm

DMLawPro wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:43 pm
Yuna wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:26 pm
.......... Deposits help mitigate that risk. If a hotel costs $100 a night and I take 4 bookings, is it unreasonable to ask for a $25 deposit just so I'd break even in case everyone cancels? ......
Wow, someone who gets it.....

No harm, no foul if either party cancels too.... If the Lady does cancel, she could just credit next visit..... 25 out of pocket is minuscule in the scheme of things. It's the one's that want you to fund their whole trip before they put their pants on and start the car.
She got the difference. I bloviated on the difference between mitigation versus avoidance a year ago.
- Edmund Burke

Rtp001
Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member

Post by Rtp001 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:18 am

Thanks Yuna I’ve never been called a wonderful gent before!

I had been wanting to meet Yuna for quite some time and the possibility of meeting her on her return trip from CU in a city near me presented itself! Being we are both verified here initial contact was quick and easy. After a few messages and texts we agreed upon a place and time. We both, I think, were a bit anxious as we had never met before. Yuna explained to me her time weighted values and I agreed to the terms. She also offered a discount, with a deposit in the form of an amazon GC for half the room cost. I did not think this to be unreasonable for stopping in a city off her route and only for me. I purchased the gift card easily and with only the cash register receipt as proof of purchase, other than being on camera in the grocery store.
Long story short we met and the stars aligned!

Deposits are not something that I do, but being this a special request and first encounter I believe it was a reasonable approach.

The_Carpenter
Advanced Donor
Advanced Donor
Your City: The Shop in KC, with deliveries to here and there

Post by The_Carpenter » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:00 am

Yuna's comment of "reasonable" is the key.
Some of the Texan's that still come to Kansas City were scared to death about the 10 hour drive and the hotel when they first started road trips to KC (before they developed repeat clients here). More than once I fronted a bit (I used to be in Houston a lot), to encourage them to make that drive. I've never been burned.

So getting back to Poker's original questions:
Poker69 wrote:
Are deposit seekers all scammers? Are some of them legit and trying to cut down on time wasters and no shows?
No and yes. But frankly, simply making sure trip expenses are subsidized just in case.

Last, I will add, it appears to me that traveling gals have a preference for guys that pre-book. Which works quite well for me as my own schedule pretty much only allows pre-books.
Custom woodcraft and specialty transport

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 am

An unkown entity who wants a 50% deposit is completely flummoxed by what an escrow agent is.

I'm surprised some smart attorney operating out of the Cayman Islands or Switzerland isn't jumping on the opportunity to skim, say 10%, off the top, to create and serve as such an agent.

Hire some tech savvy boys and girls to set up and keep it running.
- Edmund Burke

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant

Post by Publisher » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:55 pm

funnyguy8558 wrote:
Im going to argue that 99% are purely a scam.

100% upfront isnt risk mitigation, it is risk avoidance. Get a passbook savings account if you want that sort of return.

IF you can find ANY source for ANYONE flawlessly and seemlessly having returned a deposit by a third party - let us all know.

That the deposit is going to one of the 2 parties, without any legal system for the return of said deposit for a failure to perform, creates huge potential for abuse.
- Edmund Burke

Return to “Tricks of the Trade”