Reddit and Trump

I highly recommend if you have a thin skin that you do not participate here.
YAG
Sustaining Charter Member
Your Gender: Male
Your Role: Admirer
Your City: Near the shampooed banana

Reddit and Trump

Post by YAG » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Reddit today dumped 2000 subreddits and stranded 200,000 users who Reddits new guidelines deemed this use as hate speech.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
Clarence Darrow
"Always party like it's your last party" - In Honor of RimTrip
"The Guish is Strong in this one." - Skookum

YetAnotherHobbist
Donor
Donor
Your City: Madison

Re: Reddit and Trump

Post by YetAnotherHobbist » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:07 pm

YAG wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 pm
Reddit today dumped 2000 subreddits and stranded 200,000 users who Reddits new guidelines deemed this use as hate speech.
Perhaps they're trying to be seen as cleaning up their act, to try to cut off attempts to modify the law that shields speech online?
It would be a little weird, in that it was my understanding that said law only protected web sites as long as they did not otherwise moderate their content - so they might be caught in a catch-22 situation: as things go, they may lose the protections the law currently offers them when it gets re-written - but by moderating themseves, they might be giving up those same protections...

Publisher
Benevolent Tyrant
Your City: Central Illinois is close enough

Re: Reddit and Trump

Post by Publisher » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm

YetAnotherHobbist wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:07 pm
YAG wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 pm
Perhaps they're trying to be seen as cleaning up their act, to try to cut off attempts to modify the law that shields speech online?
It would be a little weird, in that it was my understanding that said law only protected web sites as long as they did not otherwise moderate their content - so they might be caught in a catch-22 situation: as things go, they may lose the protections the law currently offers them when it gets re-written - but by moderating themseves, they might be giving up those same protections...
The SESTA/FOSTA crap has some hidden jewels. It removes the requirements for not editing content created by users if it's done to prevent crime, which hate crimes are in all by one state, and at the federal level.

Yeah, I doubt the Trumpster thought about THAT bit of idiocy.
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Return to “Politics and Religion”